• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what book is the Amazing Fantasy 15 from the modern/copper age?

130 posts in this topic

negative. Gobbledygook contains an add that shows the TMNT 1 coming. So yes, it is an artistic representation of the Turtles that predates TMNT 1,

but following a respected tradition of not honoring ads before comics, it is not the first appearance. (precedent set by Superman, Batman and Captain America, long before this particular issue)

Then why does gobbledygook hold such a premium 1K raw,and cgc denotes it as a 1st app.Just curious (shrug)

Seeing that CGC doesn't slab the first gobbledygook series (because of obvious counterfeiting issues), I would be very surprised if they'd denote it a 1st appearance of anything :)

I did'nt know if they denoted a 1st app. or not,forgive me if I had not made my point clear,I was curous if they did. :tonofbricks:

yes, TMNT 1 is denoted as being the first appearance on the label. (thumbs u

negative. Gobbledygook contains an add that shows the TMNT 1 coming. So yes, it is an artistic representation of the Turtles that predates TMNT 1,

but following a respected tradition of not honoring ads before comics, it is not the first appearance. (precedent set by Superman, Batman and Captain America, long before this particular issue)

Then why does gobbledygook hold such a premium 1K raw,and cgc denotes it as a 1st app.Just curious (shrug)

Seeing that CGC doesn't slab the first gobbledygook series (because of obvious counterfeiting issues), I would be very surprised if they'd denote it a 1st appearance of anything :)

I did'nt know if they denoted a 1st app. or not,forgive me if I had not made my point clear,I was curous if they did. :tonofbricks:

Again ...

1) CGC will not slab Gobbledygook #1 because of counterfeiting issues

2) There are no CGC'ed copies of Gobbledygook #1

- so how can this be denoted on the label?

How about Miracleman number 15? I believe that's the issue with the low print run. Now if we're talking in terms of significance as far as characters go, I don't think MM is up there with Spidey, Wolvie, etc. But as far as value goes, Moore's run on MM is largely considered one of his best...and think how much the name Alan Moore is tied to comic books....

Again ...

You misunderstood my last post.

TMNT 1 has "First Appearance.." on it's own label.

Again ...

:boo:

My bad - that's what I get for posting late at night :sorry:

Again ...

:boo:

My bad - that's what I get for posting late at night :sorry:

no worries, mate. I was about as clear as you were. There were two conversations going on, discussing both books at once.

think nothing of it.

My seven year old nephews' favorite things?

Spidey and Turtles!

and I bet they are the favorites of a lot of the collectors on this board, thats why Spidey and TMNT are so popular they appeal to all ages, while Miracle Man and the Vertigo stuff has limited appeal.

TMNT 1 is actually the book I was thinking of when I started this thread. I think both of you guys made some great points. The turtles blew up a lot quicker than spidey did. Heck, I rememebr TMNT 1 was selling for $150 in 1988 (a mere four years after it came out). You could buy nice early high grade spideys for that price in 1987. I think it is safe to say the turtles accomplished just as much as spidey had in its first 25 years as far as having numerous comic titles, toys, movies, cartoons and name recognition.

On the other hand, as much as I like the turtles, Spidey is a character that will be taken more seriously in terms of character developmenmt, plots, etc. The one main point that was brought up which I had not considered, which will set Spidey apart is that it is the most important character at the inception of the MIGHTY Marvel Universe. Obviously the turtles are not characters in any significant universe like Marvel or DC.

The best way to establish a base line is to determine if TMNT today is comparable to Spidey in 1987.

Valid point - especially as TMNT are a pop culture phenomenon whose roots in comic books are largely unknown to the non collecting world, where as Spiderman and Batman are always thought of as comic book characters first and foremost. The biggest title of the Copper Age was probably X-Men, but the origins of the team are rooted in the Silver and Bronze Age and overshadow any "key" book featuring the team or it's spin-offs from the 80s.

Had Valiant ( or Image -shudder) succeeded in creating an enduring universe of characters, I'm sure one of the early books would be a contender - but as it is, I have no idea what is even considered the "key" Valiant book.

In the 60s, 70's and well into the 80s - if you were a comic collector - the chances are you primarily bought and read superhero books (Archie may have been popular - but few readers actually "collected" the character), and one's sense of what was an important book was influenced by that. While that mindset still exists, it is not as dominant as it once was, and the collecting community is probably more varied in it's tastes than ever before - making it difficult for one character capture the collective imagination the way Spidey did in the SA.