• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$17,500 paid for world's weirdest comic book (in the shape of a video game).

37 posts in this topic

Ok, so it's not a comic book. :slapfight:

The $17,500 video game

Think $60 video games are too expensive? You won't hear any argument from us, but you might from JJ Hendricks, a collector who just paid a clinically insane $17,500 for an obscure NES game from 1990.

The game in question is an ultra-rare, gold-colored version of Nintendo World Championships, a cartridge specially produced for use in a Nintendo-sponsored gaming contest. According to Wikipedia only 26 were created, and Hendricks calls it the "Holy Grail" of video game collectors.

The game itself has a time limit of just 6 minutes and 21 seconds and consists of three short segments from other NES games: Super Mario Bros., Tetris, and Rad Racer. Players are scored according to their performance in each game, and their scores are totaled once the time limit expires. Doesn't sound too riveting to us, but then somehow we doubt Hendricks is in it for the gameplay.

And while $17,500 might seem a bit much for a collection of ones and zeroes, Hendricks actually got a bargain: the game was originally listed on eBay for a cool $25,000.

Additional link where he tells how he purchased the game.

Why mention comic book at all if this thread is about a vid game? (shrug)

Because lately, every OT post has been banished to the Water Cooler fairly quickly where most people we enjoy dicussing things with don't go. I was hoping to delay the inevitable for just a bit.

I also thought it was interesting since this game has been discussed in here before and there are currently a couple of threads debating the 'crazy' prices realized for some comics lately.

Oh, and... :slapfight:

Because lately, every OT post has been banished to the Water Cooler fairly quickly where most people we enjoy dicussing things with don't go. I was hoping to delay the inevitable for just a bit.

Yep , that is supposedly the "grail" of the video game collectors market.

I know this b/c I am a jack of all trades , but a King or authority of none. :whistle:

I also thought it was interesting since this game has been discussed in here before and there are currently a couple of threads debating the 'crazy' prices realized for some comics lately.

Thats pretty much what I thought...carry on! lol

I know this b/c I am a jack of all trades , but a King or authority of none. :whistle:

(worship)

The quote from the story that said he...'just paid a clinically insane $17,500'...also stuck out to me as being remotely similar to things said occasionally in here. lol

Also, a link to the last thread about video games might be beneficial.

I believe this is it.

Oddly enough...I believe the first post in that thread was regarding the original auction for this very same game. He was asking $25,000 for it on eBay. He didn't get a buyer at that price, but a price of $17,500 was negotiated off of eBay and the sale was completed. So it looks like we now know how the story ended.

I'm thinking about investing in a can of gold spray paint hm

It has to be Nintengold (thumbs u

I can believe the number of jagoffs that posted below his blog trashing his purchase, calling him a bad father, etc. I am glad that people can still spend their money any way they see fit in this country, even if it's filled with pinheads who think they know what's best for everyone else.

Also, a link to the last thread about video games might be beneficial.

I believe this is it.

Oddly enough...I believe the first post in that thread was regarding the original auction for this very same game. He was asking $25,000 for it on eBay. He didn't get a buyer at that price, but a price of $17,500 was negotiated off of eBay and the sale was completed. So it looks like we now know how the story ended.

(thumbs u

I can believe the number of jagoffs that posted below his blog trashing his purchase, calling him a bad father, etc. I am glad that people can still spend their money any way they see fit in this country, even if it's filled with pinheads who think they know what's best for everyone else.

Seriously. Outside of Digg, that has got to be the whiniest bunch of responses I've ever seen.

agree. and what's worse, is it's always obese white dudes full of acne who've never seen the inside of a soup kitchen, little less spent any time doing volunteer work who are the first to cry foul.

and for the record, I'm an obese white dude who has volunteered, literally years of my life to those less fortunate.

and i spent almost 1k on a comic book tonight. crucify me.

game nerds can be pretty brutal. Games are still not really thought of as collectibles so there is a whole contingent that for some reason is morally outraged at the idea of people paying a lot of money for games with little play value.

Picture an army of comic 'readers' being mad that comic 'collectors' are paying a lot for minty copies of stuff they don't intend to read. That kind of thing is old hat in the comic world but the whole 'keeper' versus 'reader' thing in games is like the most offensive thing ever to those who think games are only meant to be played, yada yada