• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$17,500 paid for world's weirdest comic book (in the shape of a video game).

37 posts in this topic

Cue Bronty et. al.

Also, a link to the last thread about video games might be beneficial.

:applause:

:acclaim:

there's that guy I know. you know, the one with the thing.

i actually reread the whole thing. how sad is that?

The people criticizing his purchase are jealous they can't do the same.

Nah, they/re the same people who biotch and moan when the 90+ year-old woman tosses that necklace over the rail in Titanic.

"Argh! Why didn't she sell it and buy an island in the Pacific!!" :insane:

I'm thinking about investing in a can of gold spray paint hm

lol

Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I've been really concerned lately with the potential for fraud and abuse in the vintage video game market. It's really ripe for an individual with working knowledge of repairing catridges to start making duplicates of old games that have high selling prices. There's a number of games that sell for hundreds of dollars and a few for thousands. It would take a lot of upfront costs and hacking, but it's not hard to imagine an exact replica since all the individual components are commercially available.

The people criticizing his purchase are jealous they can't do the same.

Nah, they/re the same people who biotch and moan when the 90+ year-old woman tosses that necklace over the rail in Titanic.

"Argh! Why didn't she sell it and buy an island in the Pacific!!" :insane:

and you were thinking...

"I wonder how many times I would have to hit that in order for her to gimmee that necklace?"

:grin:

I'm thinking about investing in a can of gold spray paint hm

lol

Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I've been really concerned lately with the potential for fraud and abuse in the vintage video game market. It's really ripe for an individual with working knowledge of repairing catridges to start making duplicates of old games that have high selling prices. There's a number of games that sell for hundreds of dollars and a few for thousands. It would take a lot of upfront costs and hacking, but it's not hard to imagine an exact replica since all the individual components are commercially available.

Its mostly not the bare cartridges that are worth money though. This is an exception but I share your concern when it comes to this cartridge. I outlined my concerns on this one last thread, so I wont repeat, but I believe this particular item could be faked at a cost of about 6k.

In general, I think the risk is not with cartridge based systems, but disc based systems. The "box" they came in is just a plastic jewel case (for playstation anyways). Somebody resealing those correctly could just have a friggin' field day because the plastic doesn't bend, crease, and otherwise show signs of wear the way old cardboard box does. Cardboard box stuff even if they fake the plastic seal perfectly the box will give away the fake 99+% of the time so you can be very confident you are getting what you are paying for. I don't have that level of confidence going forward in the market for stuff in jewel and other plastic cases.

This is old old news...but anyways...probably the second rariest game next to that NES game is...

Kizuna Encounter for the Neo Geo AES. The Euro version sold for $12,500.00 USD. I dont know how many got recalled but there is not many floating around. Go figure! :D

I just thought I would point this out for no apparent reason. :P

game nerds can be pretty brutal. Games are still not really thought of as collectibles so there is a whole contingent that for some reason is morally outraged at the idea of people paying a lot of money for games with little play value.

Picture an army of comic 'readers' being mad that comic 'collectors' are paying a lot for minty copies of stuff they don't intend to read. That kind of thing is old hat in the comic world but the whole 'keeper' versus 'reader' thing in games is like the most offensive thing ever to those who think games are only meant to be played, yada yada

Boy this is extremely true. I once had the foolishness to suggest that video games were a games were a great thing to invest in because of the potential. I got ripped mercilessly for doing so.

UPDATE: according to the buyer of this nwc gold cart, he has just agreed to purchase the campus challenge cart (a rarer but less well known competition cart that came a year or two after the nwc) for $14,000. Deal is anticipated to be finished mid Sept. Thought y'all might find this interesting.