• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Never been more Upset at eBay than right now.......

192 posts in this topic

Basically, I sold an item to an Canadian buyer for a whopping $2.40 and he never paid so I just said no big deal and moved on. Then today the nut job gives me a negative comment saying "2 months and no comic."

Well no :censored: no comic you loser, you never paid.

I double checked my pay pal transactions just to double check if I made a mistake and what a shock he did not pay.

I email him, and off ocurse no reponse, so I contacted eBay and this was their reponse......

Dear John,

Thank you for writing eBay in regards to the feedback on your account. I

understand your frustration with this negative feedback after not

receiving payment.

We can remove Feedback if it's abusive or meets any of our other

conditions for removal. Unfortunately, this one doesn't.

I see that you posted a reply to the comment. Your response will show up

directly underneath the original Feedback. This way, other members will

be able to see your side of the story.

You can find more information about Feedback abuse here:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-abuse-withdrawal.html

For more information on Feedback removal, go to:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-removal.html

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Alison

eBay Trust and Safety

You should file an NPI no matter how small the price, that way you can avoid negs like this. Admittedly eBay are *spoons* for not pulling the neg down, but the NPI will cover your hide.

I know the feeling..it really sucks.I had a neg once where the guy bought a $50 magazine. He never paid and then he negged me saying it was not received. When I pointed out he never paid he said "Oh my wife said I had paid and you were ripping me off so I negged. Sorry about that I jumped the gun!" He wouldn't go through Ebay's feedback removal system and THEN begged me to go ahead and let him buy the book. No way was I going to sell to him after he'd already negged me. I'd rather send him a pic of me feeding it through the shredder than let him finish his collection after that!

Luckily his neg was removed when he was NARU'd

I am still waiting for Ebay to remove a neg from an auction that was mutally canceled. If the auction was canceled through Ebay's system they should remove the feedback right?

If I didn't make so much damn money off of Ebay I would definitely storm out dramatically! I have been on for 10 years now. Sadly, I am addicted to making cash...

My problem is I think selling comics except for hot moderns on eBay is not a profitable as it used to be.

Seems everyone will only send books to the auction houses now.

I may have to join them on HG vintage books and use eBay to dumb the junk..

Ebay used to be so fun, and now it's like sliding down a slide with razor blades into a pool of hot water.

I think the ebay feedback system (and ebay in general) could be improved by the following:

1. Everyone must pay by PayPal or a credit card on file with eBay.

2. At auction end eBay automatically takes money from the buyer's PayPal account or credit card on file and places it in escrow. If funds are not sufficient, buyer is given a set amount of days to come good. If not, then PayPal/eBay account closed, credit card blacklisted.

3. Seller receives confirmation of money being secured and sends out goods. Tracking or proof of delivery method is highly recommended.

4. Buyer receives item and leaves feedback - feedback must be in the form (i.e. you can't change the feedback, it must be selected from a predefined list):

- received item, all good (automatically posted on seller's account) -> go to 5a

- received item. all is not good because (x, y, etc) -> go to 5b

- never received item. all is not good -> go to 5b

5a. If there is no problem with item then money is released to seller

5b. if there is a problem, then resolution process begins, but negative feedback is not automatically listed on seller's account until resolution process goes through to conclusion - money remains in escrow until resolution.

I think as a basis for creating a better buying/selling environment the above is a good start. I would certainly have this as a minimum buying/selling process if I were creating an online marketplace.

Okay I would have a problem with that the persons described above

system.

I had a new in the package nightlight with the Bat logo on it. I had about 500 of them because I bought them at a palette auction. ALL brand new in package. The buyer pays,received the item and then complained that I sent him a used burnt out night light. Which was not the case at all. Cases and cases of them selling over a hundred of them by that time and never had one complaint. This guy wanted a full refund and to keep the nightlight. He said it was not in a package was scratched and had burn marks on it. It was an out and out lie!

Under the persons above theory, I would lose my money and not get paid.

I was selling brand new Sony eye toys. Since I got them at a palette sale, I did check each box to make sure all the contents were secure and there. My husband and I have a two person system. I open the box, take down the serial numbers,look the item over. He then checks my number to make sure it's right and further checks the item. The first one we sold, the buyer raved. The second buyer said we sold him a dirty used eye toy with a scratched trial game. This was NOT at all true. We then told him that we would definitely like to have the item back and he replied that he did not want to send the item back. He wanted half his money back and to keep the item. We explained that we didn't want him to keep it at all if it was dirty and broken. Since we have cases of them he could've sent it back and we would send him a brand new replacement. I mentioned all we had to do was match up the serial number from our manifest to the item he sent back and we would be happy to make an exchange or full refund. He backed up right away and said "no forget it."

We adopted this serial number policy from countless people wanting to return NIB merchandise. We got a lot of broken junk in place of pristine in box items that were sent out. So we decided we would try to curb that with our electronics and video games by doing serial numbers and tags.

BUT comics would be a pain to do that way. Customers could simply say "I didn't like the book it didn't fit my parameter of VF- it was more of a VF" and then get their money back! When I owned a brick and mortar store I had collectors all the time trying the old bait and switch. They would come into my shop buy a book wich would be neatly tucked into a bag and board (if it was over fifty cents) with the name of the shop imprinted on the price tag on the back. I don't know how many times someone would walk out and come back days later with a book with a competing stores tag on it and try to return it.

Bottom line I love most of my customers. I have customers that buy from me again and again. Every now and then (having been on Ebay over ten years now) I get a rotten apple. When that rotten one buys my books or merchandise,I want to be paid.

Ebay has already put into motion a plan like the one you describe. The person wins the auction, pays through Ebay/PayPal and PayPal holds the funds until the items delivery confirmation affirms it has been delivered OR the buyer tells Ebay they got it and they are happy. This only applies to certain catagories and certain buyers. The worst part? They hold ALL of the funds, including the shipping. So you have to wrap send the item pay for postage out of your own pocket and wait and hope the post office doesn't lose it or forget to scan it and that your buyer isn't a crabapple. Ridiculous.

It would make the uninformed observer think that Ebay gets a hefty premium from each buyer the way they make the sellers bend over for them. How much does the buyer have to pay for using Ebay? NOTHING. I pay fees to list my item, fees to promote my items, a steep fee when the item is purchased, THEN I pay fees to PayPal to get my money for the item.

Then I cannot complain to anyone who will actually take action if I don't get paid. If a buyer negs me because she couldn't fit into the $120 jeans she bought from me for $7 that I described every measurement from, No one will do anything about it.

I have some great sales I make good money off of selling all sorts of things including some comic books and magazines I have commanded way over guide for.

I still sell on Ebay because it's the only thing going that I can get so much cash action on.

When they started they were a seller friendly shake-your-hand-glad -to meet -you venue. They showed up at the San Diego Comic Con and gave everyone in the comics area on Ebay a big party. Thanked us for helping them become a sucess with a bang.

Now the new regime over there thinks most of us are scum. The ones who have been paying fees and making them money for over a decade their auctions were making Ebay's home page look "like a shabby thrift store."

Yes I will continue to sell on Ebay,but I don't feel appreciated one bit but I need money. The system you describe is full on open season on the sellers.

The system you describe is full on open season on the sellers.

I don't think this is the case at all. At the moment the "system" eBay offers is one where both the seller and buyer can create "open season" scenarios on each other. The moment there is no concrete, step-by-step approach to problem-solving, return policy and dispute resolution and each seller is able to set their own process is where the whole thing falls apart - what I'm suggesting is a way to form a definite boundary on what is and is not acceptable policy when it comes to buying and selling through what is essentially an online system.

As I stated above, what I propose forms the basis of a system that takes out some of the scenarios you mention. If for example the return policy on any item sold through eBay was that, at a minimum, a buyer has 7 days to outline a problem and be offered a full refund (minus shipping/insurance costs, with item being returned at the buyer's cost) then this would go a long way to filter out some of the people who are out to scam (both buyers and sellers). Again, we can discuss refining the process, but I think this would work well.

In your example, the buyer refuses to send the item back? Or disputes the condition, etc? Fine, send it, full refund minus costs. He wants to keep the item, then the money stays with you, no negative feedback. Etc.

Over time, eBay, with assistance from segment/category experts, could create a defined set of rules and minimum listing requirements for sellers, and likewise, a process via which buyers can request a refund. Once buyers and sellers understand these boundaries they either work within them, or they don't buy/sell through eBay. Some segments could be very easy to define; for example in our hobby, CGC-graded listings could be defined as requiring a minimum set of details. In other areas, those requirements might require more details.

Although this sounds like a daunting task, it is not. It occurs in other buying/selling venues, with greater process complexity and dispute resolution requirements all the time. What is necessary is for eBay to give a damn. Ultimately if they cannot see that this is in their best long-term interest, that is another issue altogether.

Although this sounds like a daunting task, it is not. It occurs in other buying/selling venues, with greater process complexity and dispute resolution requirements all the time. What is necessary is for eBay to give a damn. Ultimately if they cannot see that this is in their best long-term interest, that is another issue altogether.

Regrettably, eBay has changed from a place where an individual seller and buyer could transact business to a place where the larger "box store" mentality is at work. The expressed intent is to eliminate the individual sellers - there's no large profit margin any longer. eBay wants to be an "Amazon" or "Buy" or "Other" dot com, simply because it will generate more revenue.

That's why they could care less about the rights of the seller - despite our belief that we provide the revenue stream. We don't really; we merely provide a squeaky wheel - and they'd like to get rid of it as quickly (and as quietly) as possible.

eBay's POV: Small sellers are a problem to be eliminated, but we want to keep all kinds of buyers - because when buyers purchase things, we make money. And we would prefer a seller that has tons of things so that we can have lots of repeat buyers.

Meg's regime started it, and the current one is continuing the process.

Larry

Regrettably, eBay has changed from a place where an individual seller and buyer could transact business to a place where the larger "box store" mentality is at work. The expressed intent is to eliminate the individual sellers - there's no large profit margin any longer. eBay wants to be an "Amazon" or "Buy" or "Other" dot com, simply because it will generate more revenue.

That's why they could care less about the rights of the seller - despite our belief that we provide the revenue stream. We don't really; we merely provide a squeaky wheel - and they'd like to get rid of it as quickly (and as quietly) as possible.

eBay's POV: Small sellers are a problem to be eliminated, but we want to keep all kinds of buyers - because when buyers purchase things, we make money. And we would prefer a seller that has tons of things so that we can have lots of repeat buyers.

Meg's regime started it, and the current one is continuing the process.

Larry

Larry, agree with you. I guess there's two issues here we're discussing - what can be done to make eBay a better place for buyers and sellers (all sellers), and whether eBay cares (or they have a different agenda as you point out).

It's sad they can't see that keeping all sellers and buyers in the mix is good business. They might feel dealing with the smaller sellers is not in their interest, but the reality is that's a problem they've created by not defining a set of workable rules for sellers and buyers from day 1. Instead of slowly fixing this they have quickly made it harder to transact in the marketplace and hence believe (in a short-sighted way) that their future lies in bringing larger players to their system and filtering out the smaller ones.

Of course sellers with resources behind them and large-volume sales may actually benefit from this in the long run.

You should file an NPI no matter how small the price, that way you can avoid negs like this. Admittedly eBay are *spoons* for not pulling the neg down, but the NPI will cover your hide.

Gav, even if you submitted a Non-Paying Bidder dispute, doesn't the buyer still have the ability to leave feedback?

I didn't think eBay had made it where they couldn't, but I may be wrong.

Basically, I sold an item to an Canadian buyer for a whopping $2.40 and he never paid so I just said no big deal and moved on. Then today the nut job gives me a negative comment saying "2 months and no comic."

Well no :censored: no comic you loser, you never paid.

I double checked my pay pal transactions just to double check if I made a mistake and what a shock he did not pay.

I email him, and off ocurse no reponse, so I contacted eBay and this was their reponse......

Dear John,

Thank you for writing eBay in regards to the feedback on your account. I

understand your frustration with this negative feedback after not

receiving payment.

We can remove Feedback if it's abusive or meets any of our other

conditions for removal. Unfortunately, this one doesn't.

I see that you posted a reply to the comment. Your response will show up

directly underneath the original Feedback. This way, other members will

be able to see your side of the story.

You can find more information about Feedback abuse here:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-abuse-withdrawal.html

For more information on Feedback removal, go to:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-removal.html

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Alison

eBay Trust and Safety

Time to get on the phone, and keep going up the ladder until someone can do something...

-slym

I know the beating down the eBay hating drum is nothing new, but I am really thinking eBay is a waste of time anymore. :frustrated:

I have to agree. I had a similar situation.Buyer never paid. Repeated e-mails. Nothing. Blah, blah, blah. I just forgot about it. Only $ 10.00. About one month later he drops a negative on me. "SELL IS NOT VERY UNDERSTANDING'". WTF. Understand what, you didnt pay me you punk. :screwy:

DRX

Ebay does S uck... That is true IMHO. But they also have the wisest and broadest client base. It is known world wide. A lot of casual collectors, new collectors, etc go to Ebay. They have a Ebay and Pay Pal account set up all ready, in most cases. It's just easier for these people to get what they need there. They don't know about the other venues such as CLink, Comic Connect, etc..

You have to really know the rules Ebay and Pay Pal impose when you join up. Not just think you know the rules. If you can envision a worst case scenario as a buyer or seller and know how to come out on top using those rules/limitations. You'll be well ahead of 99.25% of the rest of the people. I never, ever leave a big balance in my Pay Pal account. That in itself is a big No No... www.paypalsucks.com A good site with tonnes of valuable information worth looking into..

What I hate worse about people on ebay is when they hit the "Buy it Now" and never pay, even when strung along for months with promises to do so. :whistle:
Thank goodness no one here would ever do that. meh