• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3 Count em' 3 GI JOE #21's in 9.8...it's blinding

61 posts in this topic

There was a GI Joe #21 9.8 on THIS board recently for $2k... I'm not sure if it sold or not.

I think he left a lot of money on the table actually...

I know peasofcrap had one of the 3 9.8 copies which he tried to sell on here and there were no takers. Nice looking 9.8 too, looked to be well centered.

no sale here, i was laughed at for asking $1700. Boohoo!!

There was a GI Joe #21 9.8 on THIS board recently for $2k... I'm not sure if it sold or not.

I think he left a lot of money on the table actually...

I know peasofcrap had one of the 3 9.8 copies which he tried to sell on here and there were no takers. Nice looking 9.8 too, looked to be well centered.

no sale here, i was laughed at for asking $1700. Boohoo!!

Who's laughing now, right?

Transformers and GI Joe are like Amazing Spider-man and Fantastic Four to my generation,I was 6 when then came out, seems like some of the old guard still think of them as dumb toy comics, oldtimers should get use to these prices being in this ballpark(maybe slighly lower when hype dies down.)

with more upcoming movies,more fans will be introduced to them, heck Hollywood will greenlight another Transformer movie before another Superman or Fantastic Four movie. 2c

I'm of the same generation and for my 2c that is way overstated. Spiderman and FF are the Spiderman and FF of our generation. Only in our case it was Byrne FF not kirby, and McFarlane spidey not ditko.

The *toys* and cartoon were big with our group, but the comics were pretty lame.

Have you ever read the Simon Furman Transformers? they put MCFARLANE Spideys to shame and Larry Hama was as good a writer as John Byrne.

Hama's storyline's were very much hit-or-miss, and that's someone who is a huge fan of the series and has most of the 1st run in 9.8 or better. The Snake Eye's Origin issues seemed to contain the best stories, and the plots became more mult-layered in the later half of the run, but the majority weren't terribly sophisticated overall. I still enjoy reading them, but the books are hardly Eisner worthy.

I will say this though, while I did enjoy the tv series as a kid, the comics are by far-and-away better. Many people forget the comics preceeded the first tv mini-series series by nearly two years, and that they were Marvel's top sellers during the mid 80s. They were extremely popular at the time, and many 30-somethings, myself included, remember them quite fondly.

The current high bid is $1225 on that GI JOE #21 CGC 9.8 on eBay...

If I had just bought three 9.8 copies on eBay at $1200, I'd certainly want any other auctions to at least reach this level... lol

Matt Nelson's copy just ended at $1512.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120442555916&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&salenotsupported

You know sometimes people just buy them to have them... not as a retirement plan. Do you really only want people in this hobby that buys for the SOLE purpose of how much is it worth to someone else or how much could I sell it for??? Funny as a kid I never thought about buying a GI Joe or any comic because of it's monetary value, I bought it for the fun, the read, the story, the art, etc. And now that I'm older and I have some disposable income why not re-live my childhood???

I'm all about people making a little money in this hobby - buying/selling (glad to do some buying from those selling!!!) But deep down it's not the cost or value of the book that makes me buy it - its the enjoyment of having it!! Sure I wish the one I bought was cheaper, who wouldn't, but I would have paid twice as much for it if that's was what I had to do to get a 9.8 - not because of it's value but because I wanted it!!!!

As for #21 it holds a little more importance because of the lack of dialog and the entry into the Snake-Eyes/Storm Shadow era. (Oddly enough when bought it new I was upset that they didn't even write in it!!!!)

However I have been known to be a little different!

Well said Abner! :applause:

I think I just sold you a Joe book! hm

Yes you did and THANKS!!! 18 more and I'll have the entire 160 issue Marvel run at 9.8!!! I'm excited to get it finished so I'm buying all those I need as soon as I see them!

Have you ever read the Simon Furman Transformers? they put MCFARLANE Spideys to shame and Larry Hama was as good a writer as John Byrne.

I'm not bashing the genre you enjoy. That is a personal choice whether or not GI Joe and Transformers are worth collecting, and I respect that.

But that GI Joe 21 is just ridiculously priced compared to other books of its time. Look at books like "Death in the Family" and how hard it is to happen across 9.8 copies because of those black covers. Those don't even go as high as this book, and they are much tougher to find.

To see the census on 9.8s go up 400% in 6 months says quite a bit about the scarcity of high grade copies, though, and I wouldn't be surprised that we see 25-30 total count of CGC 9.8s by end-of-year.

Death in the Family will always be known to me as the first gimmick comic, I believe that book planted the seeds of greed into retailers/publishers/collectors mind that eventually led to the comic crash of the mid-90`s. maybe the reason why Death in the Family doesn`t go as high is that people actually read the Transformers/GI joe in that period compared to Death in the Family which was bagged and boarded as a gimmick? any thoughts on this?

Death in the Family will always be known to me as the first gimmick comic, I believe that book planted the seeds of greed into retailers/publishers/collectors mind that eventually led to the comic crash of the mid-90`s. maybe the reason why Death in the Family doesn`t go as high is that people actually read the Transformers/GI joe in that period compared to Death in the Family which was bagged and boarded as a gimmick? any thoughts on this?

I get your point about it being a gimmick. But the storyline by Jim Starlin, artwork by Jim Aparo and Mike DeCarlo, and those wonderful covers by Mike Mignola made the overall story arc work.

Sure, it was a little weak in the end with the Joker becoming the UN representative to Iran so then he could have diplomatic immunity from prosecution. But it also was the capstone to the entire situation where you had an out-of-control Robin who could be quite violent, and post-Death in the Family a much darker and vengeful Batman who now would have no problem killing the Joker for what he did.

Even during the Knightfall storyline, once Batman gets ahold of the Joker, he comes close to beating him to death due to what he did to Jason Todd, making Batman more realistic with all the rage he has bottled up inside.

So I see "Death in the Family" as more significant than some would realize, and more prized as a collectible.

So I see "Death in the Family" as more significant than some would realize, and more prized as a collectible.

But like all "deaths" it was soon retconned by DC, so it again had no long-lasting impact. doh!

But like all "deaths" it was soon retconned by DC, so it again had no long-lasting impact. doh!

That's the "suck" of the story arc is DC did the regular comic company garbage and brought him back. And I remember reading somewhere Dennis O'Neil said something along the lines of "If they ever brought him back, that would be stupid."

Ooops!

I imagine it was the quickest-read ever - until Image comics came along.

:D

The difference between Joe #21 and many books from this decade, which take 5 minutes to read and are only 1/6th of a complete story, is that, despite the lack of dialogue, Joe #21 is a fully self-contained done-in-one story and quite an enjoyable one at that. Love it or hate it, it is one of the most memorable comics of the '80s - it is instantly recognizable and everybody knows it whether they are a Joe fan or not. (shrug)

That said, I wouldn't touch a 9.8 copy of this book with a 10-foot pole. :eek:

(Note that something similar is happening with the glut of Harbinger #1 9.8s on eBay. One person/company was buying MULTIPLE Harbinger #1s and essentially propping up the market temporarily.)

How original. Buy up a large portion of the inventory so you create a limited market.

Sounds like someone that buys up all the Albedo 2s, Hulk 181s, and House of Secret 92s he can get his hands on, then jacks the price up 150% of guide.

comicmylars? hm

(Note that something similar is happening with the glut of Harbinger #1 9.8s on eBay. One person/company was buying MULTIPLE Harbinger #1s and essentially propping up the market temporarily.)

How original. Buy up a large portion of the inventory so you create a limited market.

Sounds like someone that buys up all the Albedo 2s, Hulk 181s, and House of Secret 92s he can get his hands on, then jacks the price up 150% of guide.

comicmylars? hm

DING DING DING DING

Give the man a prize.