• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to know which ones you should get graded?

10 posts in this topic

O.k, so I'm getting back into the hobby, and I'm curious - how do you know when and which comics you should get graded? The reason I'm asking is, in some of the mixed lots I've bought recently, I found issues 1 and 4 of "The Shadow" (DC; 1973). I'm not interested in keeping them, but pparently they're worth a little bit (well, maybe just the first one) - how do I know if it's worth it to get them graded? How much does it cost per comic to get them graded?

$76 express for 5-10 bus. days $29 for standard 40 bus days. If your not a member of the society, Ken at Capital Comics sends big lots off for people-not sure what the price is through Ken. Then you have to pay shipping and insurance to and fro. thumbsup2.gif

The Shadow is one of those issues that falls just before CGC's cutoff for (cheap) Modern grading. You'll have to pay economy (higher) rates to get it graded. That makes it only a paying proposition on #1 if you get a 9.6 or better. 9.4 is basically breakeven. On a #4 you'll come out slightly ahead if you get a 9.6. It's tough to get a 30 year old book to come back in 9.6 or better.

You might do better to put the pair of them in a single auction on eBay raw.

Thanks for your input, comicsheet. I'm pretty sure that #1 won't be a 9.6, and I don't see the point of doing it just to break even.

I may post them on ebay (I'm not sure how much interest there would be in them), I may poke around and see if anyone is interested in trading for them.

Thanks again for the feedback, that does help.

Thanks for taking a look, I appreciate the feedback. You're right about the wear on the spine. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be a waste of money. I've been in contact with someone at kraftyscomics.com about trading for it (and #4). If that doesn't work out, I'll post about it on the marketplace board here.

Thanks again!

I agree with pov--it's mid-grade at best. It will be a great find for someone looking for a reading copy or doesn't care for high grade. Sold my Shadow #1-#4 CGC'd at 9.4/9.6 and got roughly $47-$50 each, which definitely eats into the CGC costs. You would definitely be seeing red if you paid to certify them.

Good luck...