• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you collect?

78 posts in this topic

• Administrator

I thought it might be pretty relevant to pull up this old post and see how people collect and how that might be related to the CGC Registry, so I moved this thread here.

My collecting is by:Grade

Artist

Charachter(s)/Titles

Price

Not always in this order though.

For me it is always a kick to see any older comic in high grade(wheather it be a $300.00 or a $30.00 book).Guess I am a bit grade driven.

Really hard for me to pass up a high grade Kirby,Romita Sr. ,or Ditko cover. wink.gif

When I was collecting to read I was mainly Charachter/Title driven. i.e. all the Bat books,etc.

I collect "sets" I guess. I really collect to read the story. I also used to collect by character until Marvel killed the character that I collected (Colossus mad.gif). I am just starting to realize the whole graded book mentality. My reasoning right now is to complete my set with books that I can afford (some books have a fairly low grade to a point) and then after I complete my set, going back and replacing the low grades with better ones when I can afford it. Key issue collecting is another new fascination of mine as well.

Gary

I collect not by title but by subject matter. Most recently I have been focusing on GA War books with Paratroopers on them. I also have been collecting SOTI books and books with "Classic covers"

I wanted to participate in the Registry but there is no "run" that is listed that covers my way of collecting. I have had some of my books graded, and would like to list them in the registry someday.....

I collect Wonder Woman titles and her appearances. For example I have a good portion of Wonder Woman vol II and about 20% of vol I. I hope to get Sensation comics, comic cavalcade, all-star comics and some Justice League. I also have CGC graded Action 600, DC comics presents (a couple of issues), Superman 210 & 211 since Wonder Woman appears in them. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I collect by Pedigree.

Although it might be hard to put together registry sets by pedigree (not sure how you'd do it) ..it would certainly be of great interest I believe.

I guess if CGC knew exactly which books had been slabbed within each pedigree, they could assign a point value to each. But you'd be working off specific books, not titles or #s.

It would really be a hoot to see sets of Salidas or Okajima books.

I mainly collect Silver and Bronze Age titles. I also try to collect complete runs of my favorite titles such as: Tomb of Dracula, GI-Joe, X-Men, X-Force, Cable, Amazing Spiderman, The Avengers, etc. etc. But this can get really expensive, so I ussually save up a large sum of money before I go on a comic book rampage at the comic shop in town.

I don't buy comic books on ebay. That's just me. I like the feel of the comic book shop where everythings right in front of you, no long waits or shipping charges.

On the other hand, maybe someday I might buy comics on ebay or whatever but only if their really hard to find at my local comic shop (theirs 2 where I live), or if it's a really good deal or something.

I don't do the CGC thing either, I like to read my comics, "not just store them somewhere to be forgotten encased in a plastic tomb". Maybe someday I'll do the CGC thing when I get enough doubles but not now. Plus it can get really expensive.

Here are some examples of how I've collected:
  • Runs -- The ones I'm currently working are Spidey, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, X-Men, Thor .
  • Writers -- I currently buy just about anything Garth Ennis writes.
  • Artists -- Anything Alex Ross or John Romita Sr. drew I'm likely to buy.
  • Genres -- I'm currently infatuated with buying any horror or sci-fi comics, especially short stories in the EC style (haven't found any yet I like besides the ECs and the Pacific series "Twisted Tales" and "Alien Worlds" from the early 1980s).
  • Publishers -- Some people try to get every Marvel or DC or Image comic that comes out, although I'm not one of them.
  • Characters -- Some people buy every title featuring a particular character, such as people who buy the dozens of Spidey titles there have been over the years.
  • Unique/rare issues -- Some twisted, lost, overly-anal bean counters like to buy every price variant ever made. Or every double-cover defect they find.
  • Pedigrees -- Some people buy up all the Western Penns or Mile Highs they find.

Name a pattern, and it's likely somebody collects all issues which fit the pattern. If anyone is interested, I'm entertaining offers on the new "James Rudd HGCGC Read-On-The-Can" run, which is a complete set of the highest-graded CGC issues from their census that I have cracked open and read while using the bathroom. I'm hoping I can get CGC to recognize this wonderful new pedigree so I can reslab them and have it appear on the label.

I started buying the series, and then added a fondness towards particular artists and I like to collect the rares as well.

So I guess you could say my collection is well rounded... But I am always adding more.

I then progressed into CGC versions of my faves while having a reading copy on hand.

cloud9.gif

I guess I focus on runs for the most part, the first comic I read was X-Men 138 and I just started collecting X-Men from then on.

But I have branched out and enjoy collecting Golden age comics, I have several Wonder Woman and EC's as well as various others. It just takes a while to expand your horizons

I was looking at collecting Hulk battle issues, until I realised that the early ones are like the most expensive group of comic books in the known universe!

Hulk 1-6 hail.gifhail.gif

Tales of Suspence #49 893whatthe.gif

ASM 14!!! insane.gif

Journey into Mystery #112!! headbang.gif

FF, #12, #25 893whatthe.gifforeheadslap.gifscrewy.gif

so just a pipe dream ... Christo_pull_hair.giffrustrated.gif

I was looking at collecting Hulk battle issues, until I realised that the early ones are like the most expensive group of comic books in the known universe!

ASM 14!!! insane.gif

Save up and don't buy the little stuff...you'll have them in no time.

ASM 14!!! insane.gif

Save up and don't buy the little stuff...you'll have them in no time.

Thats a lot of saving, and TOS #49's are tricky to come across in most any grade. JIM 112's by all account's are relatively common in high grade, but for some reson this hasn't hindered the price of the book. And FF 12....forget it.

But all the same, sentiment appreciated.

sign-rantpost.gifWow what a great question! I have found myself trying to grab slabbed books of what I am reading and enjoying right now. Because the new book market is extremely volatile, I have often paid WAY too much Christo_pull_hair.giffor a book I could have had for less if I waited a month or two to pick it up. I have backed off of newer books on auction sites and instead attempt to cherry pick the best copy I can from my local shop (Atlantis Comics in Morehead City, NC- gossip.gif tell Larry that Chris sent you!). I am now filling my collection with great stories I read growing up- Micronauts, G.I. Joe, Swamp Thing and other odds and ends. Truly a great time to be collecting! headbang.gif