• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Drawing with names and numbers on cover

31 posts in this topic

one of the cooler things they do with TMNT 1 is to say, "Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird written on inside cover" which gives info in a non-biased way.

I am glad that they understand that E&L signed so many of those over the years and don't qualify them or do anything devaluing with them. They just state what is written, and blue label them.

But that's not what I'm referring to.

Send in a book with a kid's name scrawled on it, or even a Pedigree or collection signature, and CGC will happily slab it with a Blue Universal label.

But if that name happens to be Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Todd McFarlane, Jim Lee, etc. and suddenly out comes the GLOD and the generic "name on cover" stuff.

CGC is a business and has a right to protect its SS investment, and I doubt even they would hedge on *exactly* what's going on here.

I think if you insist they will grade it as a blue label and downgrade the "writing" as a defect just like any child's writing. This is one of those areas that is a bit ambiguous until you talk to somebody.

I saw a run of file copies that were graded and slabbed as green labels. The books were qualified as higher grade copies because the bindery holes from stitching along the spine were very prominent. I then saw another copy of a book FROM THE SAME BOUND SET in a blue label holder with a lower grade.

It's not always a science with CGC and is basically a judgment call on their part just like grading any comics.

R.

Guest Grails
But that's not what I'm referring to.

Send in a book with a kid's name scrawled on it, or even a Pedigree or collection signature, and CGC will happily slab it with a Blue Universal label.

But if that name happens to be Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Todd McFarlane, Jim Lee, etc. and suddenly out comes the GLOD and the generic "name on cover" stuff.

CGC is a business and has a right to protect its SS investment, and I doubt even they would hedge on *exactly* what's going on here.

Don't quote me on this but I believe that you can request the blue label for any signed book with the writing counting off as defect.

Don't quote me on this but I believe that you can request the blue label for any signed book with the writing counting off as defect.

At this point we start getting into the various pedigree scrawls that not only don't get dinged as a defect, but may actually get a grade bump. :insane:

But no matter how you slice it, this generic "Name Written on Cover" tells it all. With that, CGC has outlined their business intentions 110%.

If you're hung up on the color of the label, crack 'em out and do without the labels completely.

Only problem with that is if you try to sell it after a while. You may get nailed by the police for selling outside of the label! :cry:

I tend to agree that this kind of book, designed for sketch/signature, is VERY poorly handled by CGC. Their “drawing with names and numbers on cover.” is pretty ridiculous. They are supposed to be comic book experts yet the best they can come up with is "names and numbers" as if this were some alien rune undecipherable to our current knoweldge and technology. No attempt to even try to separate this kind of sketch book from a regular book.

JC has it right on this one.

A lot of people have chimed in here (which is a GOOD thing) and I understand most of the points that people are making. But let's not kid ourselves here. My basic point in agreeing with letsgrumble is this:

If you had 3 comics of the same title, issue number and grade and they were all signed by Todd McFarlane or any other comic artist, which of the 3 would bring the most money in a sale:

1) Yellow Signature Series label

2) Blue Universal label

3) Green Qualified label

The yellow Signature Series label of course, followed by the Blue then the Green (just check GPA on just about any book). Otherwise, why would people use the term GLOD (green label of death)? Do some of you honestly believe that you could get as much money out of a green qualified label book with an accompanying COA as you could with a yellow Signature Series book? Sorry....ain't gonna happen.

And sure...you could request that CGC give it a blue label but then the grade would get knocked down and it would be worth less because of that. So I still stand firm in my belief that CGC should allow signed books with a COA that can be verified through the company that coordinated the signing(s) to be given a Signature Series label.

A lot of people have chimed in here (which is a GOOD thing) and I understand most of the points that people are making. But let's not kid ourselves here. My basic point in agreeing with letsgrumble is this:

If you had 3 comics of the same title, issue number and grade and they were all signed by Todd McFarlane or any other comic artist, which of the 3 would bring the most money in a sale:

2) Blue Universal label

3) Green Qualified label

The yellow Signature Series label of course, followed by the Blue then the Green (just check GPA on just about any book). Otherwise, why would people use the term GLOD (green label of death)? Do some of you honestly believe that you could get as much money out of a green qualified label book with an accompanying COA as you could with a yellow Signature Series book? Sorry....ain't gonna happen.

And sure...you could request that CGC give it a blue label but then the grade would get knocked down and it would be worth less because of that. So I still stand firm in my belief that CGC should allow signed books with a COA that can be verified through the company that coordinated the signing(s) to be given a Signature Series label.

But in the case of my book (Avengers/Invaders romita), DF was the only way to get that done. They didn't sell the blanks, so that's out. It can either take a major hit and get a blue label or get the grade that it should with a green label. There won't be a yellow label of this one come up.....ever. Granted this is an unusual circumstance, but the point remains the same. It wasn't witnessed by a CGC rep, so it doesn't get the gold.

Does that green label mean it's not authentic? Are you going to refuse to buy it because it has a green label and a COA instead of a yellow label? If your answer to either of these questions is "yes" then why would you expect CGC to accept a COA when you won't? It's still the same book. It still has the COA. But now, it's been graded and slabbed.

And as far as allowing books with COAs, I could set up Medic's Authentics Inc. and start churning out books tonight. I'll stand by my COAs and verify that anyone from Windsor McKay to Jim Lee has signed anything you want so that they get the yellow label and make me and my friends more money. I'll verify that Bob Kane reached up with his cold, dead and decaying hand and signed a stack of Batman RIPs......why not? When it all goes bad, it's got CGC's name on it, not mine.

Yeah....my example is over the top, but you can see where this could lead. It's just too slippery a slope to start that kind of deal with any third party.

Guest Grails

2) Blue Universal label

3) Green Qualified label

Once again, COA's are worthless. Once that book with its COA leaves the companies hands, it is open to fraud. That cert can be copied or transferred to another book with a fake signature. The company can only guarantee the signature while its in their hands for the sale. Once its in your hands, there is no guarantee.

I want to stress that I'm not saying your (or my) unwitnessed sigs are worthless. They should be worth something to you especially if you obtained them. No label should dimish its personal value to you.

Grails beat me to my point, but here we go.

MONDAY

CGC: Hey, DF, this is CGC. I just got a copy of COMICS! #1 signed by Awesome Artist with your COA it's COA #38/50. Is it legit?

DF: Yup that's us. He actually signed it for us.

CGC: Sweet! Thanks! It gets a yellow label now. See ya!

DF: Bye.

THURSDAY

CGC: DF, buddy....this is CGC again!

DF: What's up?

CGC: I just got another copy of COMICS! #1 signed by Awesome Artist with your COA it's also COA #38/50.

DF: Huh....weird.

CGC: Yeah. So is it legit?

DF: Uh......

CGC: Which one is the real one? Or did you guys screw up and put out two #38's?

DF: .................

CGC: Hello?

DF: *CLICK*

*DISCLAIMER: This is no way to be construed as a swipe at Dynamic Forces. They've been the name that comes up the most often, so I stuck with it. I have no reason to doubt anything put out by DF. It's just a silly example on a chat board.

Guest Grails
Grails beat me to my point, but here we go.

MONDAY

CGC: Hey, DF, this is CGC. I just got a copy of COMICS! #1 signed by Awesome Artist with your COA it's COA #38/50. Is it legit?

DF: Yup that's us. He actually signed it for us.

CGC: Sweet! Thanks! It gets a yellow label now. See ya!

DF: Bye.

THURSDAY

CGC: DF, buddy....this is CGC again!

DF: What's up?

CGC: I just got another copy of COMICS! #1 signed by Awesome Artist with your COA it's also COA #38/50.

DF: Huh....weird.

CGC: Yeah. So is it legit?

DF: Uh......

CGC: Which one is the real one? Or did you guys screw up and put out two #38's?

DF: .................

CGC: Hello?

DF: *CLICK*

lol