• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just don't get some dealers....

358 posts in this topic

[i'd say there are more than a few people who value comics above money.

Well I suppose if all you love is let's say Strawberry Shortcake comics, it's easier to simply love comics more than money. But for the more expansive, completionist, high-grade guys out there, how many pockets are really out there that are deeper than the entire comics market? (shrug) I sure wonder if those guys bidding FF 112 up to $25K or GL 76 up to $30K are in that crowd.

I don't report to GPA and I've sold thousands of books. GPA doesn't have strong sales on every book.

Does business knowledge count since I'm a dealer? Does having a large database of sales add any credibility in my ability to price a book?

Does the fact that when a movie comes out certain books start jumping in price?

Don't know why some people religiously feel I should sell something for what it last sold for without knowing all the facts. Did the seller need the money? What was the page quality? What did the book look like?

I was selling Avengers #4 9.0's for $2500 just a few years ago, now they sell for 3 times that amount. All because of a movie. I've sold a few 9.0's in the last couple of months and frankly each sale has been higher than the last. What's wrong with being out in front instead of following the pack?

I wholeheartedly agree with you Bob, but this is a low grade raw book. Of course I don't have ALL the facts, no one does. Nevertheless, the risk to the buyer is much greater than the risk to the seller in this case, in my opinion anyway. Like I said earlier, if it was slabbed, I'd have no problem paying closer to the listed price. The seller is anonymous, I have no idea what his grading standards are and a scan can only tell you so much.

[i'd say there are more than a few people who value comics above money.

Well I suppose if all you love is let's say Strawberry Shortcake comics, it's easier to simply love comics more than money. But for the more expansive, completionist, high-grade guys out there, how many pockets are really out there that are deeper than the entire comics market? (shrug) I sure wonder if those guys bidding FF 112 up to $25K or GL 76 up to $30K are in that crowd.

I think that if people answered honestly there are lots of people living in near poverty with killer comics.

(thumbs u

Childhood attachment and sensory stimuli are worth a lot more than they cost. Some people spend their whole lives (or even expend their lives) chasing them.

R.

The seller is anonymous, I have no idea what his grading standards are and a scan can only tell you so much.

I really haven't checked ComicConnect's standards, but I know Josh won't let just anybody list raw on ComicLink, you either have to be known to him as a reputable seller and grader or you have to send the book to him and pay him a greater commission. Does ComicConnect do that as well? If they don't have similar standards, you're right, the risk is rather great--greater than I'd be willing to take on 95% of the time.

I don't report to GPA and I've sold thousands of books. GPA doesn't have strong sales on every book.

Does business knowledge count since I'm a dealer? Does having a large database of sales add any credibility in my ability to price a book?

Does the fact that when a movie comes out certain books start jumping in price?

Don't know why some people religiously feel I should sell something for what it last sold for without knowing all the facts. Did the seller need the money? What was the page quality? What did the book look like?

I was selling Avengers #4 9.0's for $2500 just a few years ago, now they sell for 3 times that amount. All because of a movie. I've sold a few 9.0's in the last couple of months and frankly each sale has been higher than the last. What's wrong with being out in front instead of following the pack?

Bob pays well/fair when he's buying.

(thumbs u

I've had Bob pay me over GPA when he needed something that I was selling.

I wholeheartedly agree with you Bob, but this is a low grade raw book. Of course I don't have ALL the facts, no one does. Nevertheless, the risk to the buyer is much greater than the risk to the seller in this case, in my opinion anyway. Like I said earlier, if it was slabbed, I'd have no problem paying closer to the listed price. The seller is anonymous, I have no idea what his grading standards are and a scan can only tell you so much.

All the more reason to pass on this particular copy and find it elsewhere.

I am speculating here, but I believe the copy in question is a metro owned copy...again, just speculating, but the time it has been on the site (since litterally its inception) and the movement in price as well as the reported lack of a lower counter on a hot book, would indicate that...

that said, I believe CC has nailed every raw book I have bought from them (at least 5, with one exception, but I understand cgc's reasoning for the difference in grade).... I have bought 5 raw books from CC, and 4 of them have been cgc'd the grade advertised on CC...

and CC has a GREAT return policy...if you are not happy with the book in 10 days, let them know, and return it within 7 days, so really there is no "risk" outside of some shipping costs...

and , as bob said, GPA is just a tool... I personally have bought and sold 7 copies of SC 22 in the last one to 2 months, and what is funny, is the last 5.0 I bought I paid almost as much as the one I had previously sold...why, because demand is increasing, supply is constant or, as copies get into collections, maybe even dwindling, and that results in price increases...

my gut says that even a raw 3.5 will sell for more than 750 in the next year, so buying it today for the price, is a good idea, IMO

Yea, wasn't thinking abou the "Metro" aspect. Should be no hassel return if you're not happy.

Was just responding to the OP. If you've got that much apprehension (for whatever reasons), just pass on it. Another will come up.

I am speculating here, but I believe the copy in question is a metro owned copy...again, just speculating, but the time it has been on the site (since litterally its inception) and the movement in price as well as the reported lack of a lower counter on a hot book, would indicate that...

That makes sense. I wondered when ComicConnect came out whether they'd cross-list everything on both sites or if they'd just retire the separate Metro site. I noticed this Showcase 22 isn't on the Metro site; what are they thinking with regards to listing on the two sites? Are they at times just randomly picking one to list their raw inventory on? (shrug)

Yea, wasn't thinking abou the "Metro" aspect. Should be no hassel return if you're not happy.

Was just responding to the OP. If you've got that much apprehension (for whatever reasons), just pass on it. Another will come up.

I will buy raw from very few folks... Bedrock City, Metro, Jim Payette, Clink, Heritage, are a few that come to mind because they stand behind what they sell or broker....

ebay, not so much raw buying, because I believe the risk outweighs any potential reward

Does it matter if it's a Metro book or not?

If they're letting the 98% of the collecting community who can't grade worth a hoot list unslabbed books freely on their site, then oh my lord YES, it matters greatly. I just searched through their terms of service and couldn't find a clause like Josh has on ComicLink where he says you can only list raw if you ship to him first and let him grade it, or if you're pre-approved as an authorized dealer he trusts to grade with some kind of reliability.

I've got to think they're limiting who can list raw books, but I can't verify it.

ebay, not so much raw buying, because I believe the risk outweighs any potential reward

I gave up that game long ago. Actually, gave up the eBay game long ago (I think my feedback is still in the 30's :blush:).

Some are more willing to take the risk than others. It never really worked out for me. I'd rather spend the extra $$$ upfront for minimal/no hassle later.

This little book's not worth the effort... This is not the book you're looking for... you will not need to see his scan...

Seriously though, I believe Metro has a pretty clear refund (or store credit?) policy for resto discovered down the road, whereas, from what I can tell, Comic Connect only has a 10 day return policy, so unless you're good at detecting resto yourself, or unless you can have someone else who is good at detecting resto look at it right away, you'll probably have a hard time returning it within the allowable 10 day time frame... barring a qualified resto check being able to be performed promptly upon receipt, I too would be hesitant to purchase a high $ raw book from Comic Connect at the going market price for what a CGC equivalent would be going for (of course if I could arrange for a qualified party to perform a resto check right away, I wouldn't have a problem purchasing a raw high $ book from Comic Connect) ...