• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The monthly why you should use CGC instead of PGX thread with PICs

164 posts in this topic

And more GREAT news that almost made up for that Swampy...

P1150656.jpg

P1150657.jpg

That's some crazy differences! Why do you think PGX graded it an 8.0?

No idea. I graded it myself at 9.2 after I cracked it out. It has a couple TINY flaws. And they also missed the PQ by two ticks.

P1150657.jpg

No idea. I graded it myself at 9.2 after I cracked it out. It has a couple TINY flaws. And they also missed the PQ by two ticks.

And they missed the date it was printed. :roflmao:

P1150657.jpg

And they missed the date it was printed. :roflmao:

Awwww crud. I missed that little nugget...

I'm still waiting to see exactly why I should use CGC instead of PGX. I've done much worse buying raw from reputable dealers, plus you SCORED on that ASM 92 and Ghost Rider 1.

And the next couple of books are where redemption occurred. First book somehow or another I lost the label, but it was a 9.0.

P1150654.jpg

:banana:

The great part about this little grading experience.

9.0 12-month 125 bucks

9.6 12-month 1016 bucks.

9.0 12-month 125 bucks

9.6 12-month 1016 bucks.

You're weakening your own thesis.

I'm still waiting to see exactly why I should use CGC instead of PGX. I've done much worse buying raw from reputable dealers, plus you SCORED on that ASM 92 and Ghost Rider 1.

See TWO reasons that I noted in first post. One, PGX books sell for a fraction of CGC TWO Grading is all over the place. Add #3 Shady assed "missed" restoration. That swampy that I paid half guide for, is junk as a double trimmed franken-book. After you factor in resub fees and the books that DROPPED in price due to being over graded, it's about a wash. So why go through the trouble? Out of all these books, over half were bad news. Sure a few were good news, but what if you didn't buy a bunch like I did? Odds are NOT in your favor.

9.0 12-month 125 bucks

9.6 12-month 1016 bucks.

You're weakening your own thesis.

Just presenting the facts... A thesis that excludes pertinent facts is no more than a fairy tale.

One, PGX books sell for a fraction of CGC TWO Grading is all over the place.

What I see here are two good reasons to roll the dice and buy PGX graded books, especially on higher grade stuff. Yeah, you might get burned once in a while, but that's no different than buying raw.

Agreed, if you're buying PGX books as RAW, then fine, but how often is that possible price point wise? Typically, you can buy raw for much cheaper than PGX, for the most part. From what I've seen, high-grade PGX = undisclosed restoration. Mid-grade PGX = off as much as a whole point. PQ almost always harsher than CGC. Sure, I got a couple cherries in there. But I would never, ever buy high-grade bronze from PGX again. No more Wrightson swamp things, no Shazam 1s etc. Those books, more often than not turn up trimmed. Now, I might buy PGX books at a show where I could grade them myself. (at least the cover... )

Other than the Swampy #8, you did fair to well.

6.0 to 5.0 is a "half grade" (Fine to VG/F for the mentally challenged.)

That's well within the margin of acceptable "error" for most serious collectors. What it does highlight, however, once again is the idea that small differences in grade = large differences in price which aren't justifiable.

And, for mid-grade to upper mid grade (5.0-8.0, for example) unless I'm totally off my rocker, there aren't that many differences in price for those small differences in grade. One 5.0 may be $300, while a 6.0 may be $400. Even that is wide, but at least it's not the stupid multiples one gets in the highest ranges for virtually insignificant differences in grade.

As shown with your Swamp Thing, the biggest problem with PGX grading is their inability to spot restoration.

What I'm most surprised at are the large GPA price jumps for .5 differences under 8.0. I can see how the label chasing mentality drives multiples in the 9.X grades, but given the almost random differences in even a broadly accepted 6.5 vs.7.0 or 7.0 vs. 7.5 and that none of those qualify as tough grades for a SA book, I would have expected the value jumps to be more modest.

Other than the Swampy #8, you did fair to well.

6.0 to 5.0 is a "half grade" (Fine to VG/F for the mentally challenged.)

That's well within the margin of acceptable "error" for most serious collectors. What it does highlight, however, once again is the idea that small differences in grade = large differences in price which aren't justifiable.

And, for mid-grade to upper mid grade (5.0-8.0, for example) unless I'm totally off my rocker, there aren't that many differences in price for those small differences in grade. One 5.0 may be $300, while a 6.0 may be $400. Even that is wide, but at least it's not the stupid multiples one gets in the highest ranges for virtually insignificant differences in grade.

Well, I will say that this would have been a nightmare for me if I hadn't bought the GR1 and the ASM92. Those really made up for a lot of the down-grades. I've now seen SEVERAL of these ST8s in purple labels. Census shows 8, excluding this one, from 9.4 to 9.8, how many of those you think started out in PGX labels as 9.8s? I'm betting most of them.

As shown with your Swamp Thing, the biggest problem with PGX grading is their inability to spot restoration.

PGX missed trmming on this Swamp Thing.

But how is that any different than CGC missing all that trimming that was going on a few years ago? (shrug)

I am not defending PGX by any means. But to say suggest that ONLY PGX missed restoration in the past, particularly trimming, is not very accurate.

What I'm most surprised at are the large GPA price jumps for .5 differences under 8.0. I can see how the label chasing mentality drives multiples in the 9.X grades, but given the almost random differences in even a broadly accepted 6.5 vs.7.0 or 7.0 vs. 7.5 and that none of those qualify as tough grades for a SA book, I would have expected the value jumps to be more modest.

I think a link that I saw posted earlier seemed to suggest that this wasn't exactly an accident... PGX spotting restoration, that is...