• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The monthly why you should use CGC instead of PGX thread with PICs

164 posts in this topic

So ... please ... produce the evidence.

First off. I do not owe you or anyone else any evidence, until a court tells me to produce it.

:roflmao:

Outrageous Claimer: "The moon is made of purple Gouda, aged 6 months, with a delightful pear reduction at its core."

Rightfully Skeptical Person: "Oh yeah? Prove it."

Outrageous Claimer: "I don't have to prove anything to you! You're not the boss of me!"

Credibility = negative territory

(thumbs u

Please don't muddle the schmidty waters with facts. It is easy to tell someone to put up or shut up, but what happens after the "put up"? Does the demander then apologize? Or just not post anymore.

The person who "put up" would gain respect and credibility, regardless of the actions of the challenger.

Only the insecure "need" an "apology" from a challenger if the challenge is found to lack merit.

This is Debate 101. If you make a claim, the onus is ALWAYS on you to support that claim if it is challenged.

Always.

If CGC verify's that they allow their employees to submit books for grading, does the demander of proof apologize to ME? If, as the above poster suggests, CGC has already clarified this allowance, do I get an apology?

I doubt it.

No, you simply get the far superior benefit of respect and credibility from your peers.

First off. I do not owe you or anyone else any evidence, until a court tells me to produce it.

Outrageous Claimer: "The moon is made of purple Gouda, aged 6 months, with a delightful pear reduction at its core."

Outrageous Claimer: "I don't have to prove anything to you! You're not the boss of me!"

(thumbs u

I'd like to petition the moderators to change your user name. Every time you post, I get that hideous song stuck in my head. :frustrated:

(thumbs u

I'd like to petition the moderators to change your user name. Every time you post, I get that hideous song stuck in my head. :frustrated:

Ooo, rock me Amadeus....OOO, rock me Amadeus!

Come on, everybody needs a little Falco in their diet....

(thumbs u

Ooo, rock me Amadeus....OOO, rock me Amadeus!

Come on, everybody needs a little Falco in their diet....

That's ok. I'll just counter it with this and life is good again. ^^

onaboat.jpg

I'm riding on a dolphin, doing flips and mess

The dolphin's splashing, getting everybody all wet

But this ain't Seaworld, this is real as it gets

I'm on a boat, , don't you ever forget

I've said for awhile now that I think the 9.8 books are this age of collectings variant/foil/embossed covers of the 90's. There is way too much variation.

That's why EVERYONE says if you get a 9.8 NEVER crack it out for any reason. For example: it's risky to submit a 9.8 for signature series, cause it could come back a 9.6 or 9.4. But if it's a 9.4 or 9.6 it could come back a SS 9.8.

I have NEVER bought a 9.8 book, cause the prices are ridiculous. 9.6 Yes. 9.6 are perfect to most people, with paying that perfect book price.

As for the original idea of this thread, a true experiment would be to resub a bunch of books to CGC to see how accurately they regrade books. Likewise, do the same with PGX. Then you could see which company was the most consistent against themselves. I was a math major in college so here is one other point to consider for this experiment. The rule of large numbers states that a sample size needs to be at least 30 to draw any meaningfull conclusions. 30 books to CGC, then send those 30 books back to CGC. 30 books to PGX, then send those 30 back to PGX. That's too expensive an experiment for me.

Rocky little dude. Everyone here knows exactly what you are and what you are about. I won't waste anymore time on you. Now go perfect your anal skills with your partner, not here please.

Reminder to myself. Ignore the louche.

There's more deflection in this post than an entire Wonder Woman convention fighting a 1920's Chicago mob.....

Rocky little dude. Everyone here knows exactly what you are and what you are about. I won't waste anymore time on you. Now go perfect your anal skills with your partner, not here please.

Reminder to myself. Ignore the louche.

There's more deflection in this post than an entire Wonder Woman convention fighting a 1920's Chicago mob.....

Makes me wish I was on a boat. :cloud9:

maloney:

hasn't that same thing been done, albeit by several different submitters and not just one? Many results have been posted on this site. I ain't saying that PGX is as good as CGC, but I am saying that grading differs depending on who is doing the grading, and what day it is. It is legendary and factual that books can be resubmitted without any work done on them, and the grading often changes. Even with the same company and presumably the same graders as the previous time said book/s were graded. I'm not sure how one would go about finding out if the exact same graders were involved in both gradings of a specific book though. So there is a slight flaw in the experiment there.

maloney:

hasn't that same thing been done, albeit by several different submitters and not just one? Many results have been posted on this site. I ain't saying that PGX is as good as CGC, but I am saying that grading differs depending on who is doing the grading, and what day it is. It is legendary and factual that books can be resubmitted without any work done on them, and the grading often changes. Even with the same company and presumably the same graders as the previous time said book/s were graded. I'm not sure how one would go about finding out if the exact same graders were involved in both gradings of a specific book though. So there is a slight flaw in the experiment there.

So, if you graded say...300 comics a day...Every day...5 days a week...Are you saying that if someone slid a book in that you had already graded, you'd never have any variance and would assign the same grade every single time?

person_without_enough_empathy, please. :whatev:

(thumbs u

You haved making me lulz.

Well, certainly I don't think were going to PROVE anything with this thread. Hope anyone isn't too disappointed by that fact. lol I agree that grading is subjective, but it IS true that a lot of dealers can predict with uncanny accuracy the grade that CGC will submit before the book is graded. Heck, I can pick 9.6/9.8 with about 80 to 90% accuracy. (Easiest grade range to pick...) This seems to suggest that CGC may be a little more conventional in their grading. They do seem to deduct a little too harshly for stains and not harshly enough for some production flaws such as chipping. I really didn't set out to PROVE anything, I just thought the results were interesting. Perhaps my title was a bit too dramatic, but I honestly believe CGC is the only real grading service currently available. (Sadly, as I think competition might cause grading prices to drop somewhat.) PGX just isn't reliable and I'm not willing to bet my hard earned money that they had a good day and caught any restoration that might be present. I certainly think CGC makes mistakes, plenty of them, but how could they not? The volume of books that they grade is amazing.

maloney:

Yup, the experiment is flawed in a lot of ways actually. The more I think about it there are a ton of things.

You can't take results from previous posts because those are likely only listed by people with an issue to expose or a bias to illustrate. So that would represent a bias sample.

I think the statement I highlighted illustrates my point about not buying 9.8 books too. How good are most of us at determining the difference between a 9.6 and 9.8. And if you can tell, are those flaws worth that much extra cash?

This isn't a bash on CGC at all. I love the service. It's just a caution I have about being burned later on.

The biggest thing I like about CGC is the ability to certifiy an expensive book is real, and not fake or restored. Plus, there grades give me a ballpark of how much the book is truely worth. I've only submited 2 books myself to CGC. The other were already slabbed when I bought them.

The 2 books I submitted were:

1.) My AF #15 I bought raw on eBay. Since it was expensive and I wanted the piece of mind that is was authentic and there was no resto. I remember paying the expensive fee to get it back quickly too. It did come back with a blue label and I was a happy camper. (thumbs u

2.) I submitted my Preacher #1 for Signature Series since Ennis and Dillon were at Wizard World Philly this year. Just a cool book, and I think the SS service is a cool concept.