• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic related horror stories.

47 posts in this topic

My favorite story was the one that someone on the boards told about how in the 90's they had a bunch of X-Force 1 issues that they had fanned out on a table admiring when they accidentally spilled soda all over them. The way the person wrote it was classic.

Also, every time I look at an Avengers #1 now, I'm reminded of that time. It used to be one of the few non-ASM books I really had to have, but after this incident, I never looked for another.

I am not shocked it soured you on that particular issue. If that had happened to me early in my collecting career it would have soured me on the entire hobby.

Here is my own personal story. I still shudder to think of how sleazy someone has to be to take advantage of a trusting kid like me....

I must have been 10 or 11 and my dad and I had gone to a nearby sports card show. I loved cards back then, and my dad and I bonded over our mutual interest. At any rate, I brought a Topps Jerry Rice rookie (a hot card at the time) with me to sell since I had 2 of them. While my dad was at a nearby booth I approached a dealer with it. He looked at it and said he had to go in the back to check his price guide. He returned, said he didn't need the card and promptly handed me back a different card, this one with gum residue all over the back. I told my dad what had happened and he and the dealer had words, but I told him to let it go since he was causing a scene. That guy's life must have been pretty miserable to pull a stunt like that.

Man, that's low.

Lower than low. Taking advantage of a little kid. That's like purse snatching from blind people.

Also, every time I look at an Avengers #1 now, I'm reminded of that time. It used to be one of the few non-ASM books I really had to have, but after this incident, I never looked for another.

I am not shocked it soured you on that particular issue. If that had happened to me early in my collecting career it would have soured me on the entire hobby.

Here is my own personal story. I still shudder to think of how sleazy someone has to be to take advantage of a trusting kid like me....

I must have been 10 or 11 and my dad and I had gone to a nearby sports card show. I loved cards back then, and my dad and I bonded over our mutual interest. At any rate, I brought a Topps Jerry Rice rookie (a hot card at the time) with me to sell since I had 2 of them. While my dad was at a nearby booth I approached a dealer with it. He looked at it and said he had to go in the back to check his price guide. He returned, said he didn't need the card and promptly handed me back a different card, this one with gum residue all over the back. I told my dad what had happened and he and the dealer had words, but I told him to let it go since he was causing a scene. That guy's life must have been pretty miserable to pull a stunt like that.

Man, that's low.

Lower than low. Taking advantage of a little kid. That's like purse snatching from blind people.

You should have acted like a kid an knocked all his merchandise all over the place ruining cards. What could he have done then?

Man, that's low.

You should have acted like a kid an knocked all his merchandise all over the place ruining cards. What could he have done then?

I should have pooped on his shoes.

This story did not happen to me personally but to a friend of mine . He has been collecting comics for a Long time since he was a kid. At one point he had just about every Marvel SA key and 1st appearance (examples AF#15 FF#1 Hulk #1 etc)with some 1st appearance DCs (Showcase #4 and #22) also and some golden age early Captain America's . This was about 1998 and These issues were extremely nice for the age of the books none were below 6.0 and all were unrestored . Anyway, he got hooked up with this girl and they started dating and became close. However, after a few years the girl started resenting the fact that my friend "cared more about his comics, then he did her and spend more money on them than her"....Well he came home one day and instead of having supper on the stove for him when he got home from work. He came home to a bonfire in a metal garbage can. She had spent the entire day burning most of his collection. I believe he told me that there was about $100000.00 in books that she had burned including all of those SA and GA books the only stuff she had not torched was a few of his modern books. Unfortantly at the time he didn't have insuraance on any of his books .This is the amazing part he just broke up with her and let her leave in peace telling her never to get within his sight again. He is defantly a better man than me . I'd felt like doing something to that crazy person_without_enough_empathy

Bad card dealers seem to be extra-sleezy. A buddy of mine went into a shop when he was younger with a Fleer Jordan rookie. The dealer took the card out of the case to inspect it, and wanted to buy it, but my buddy didn't like the price and said he'd just take his card back. As the dealer was putting the card back in the case, he "accidently" bent the top left corner.

Horror stories that did happen to me :

1) When I was a kid, in 1986, purchased "NM" books from Gerry Ross (1,000,000 Comix) for about $400 (a LOT of money for me at that time) that arrived as VG. Returned them for refund. He told me he would replace them by better copies. Finally sent me back the same books but this time, with color touch and trimmed edges !!! Had to go to small claims court and I won my case and got a refund two years after the initial purchase.

2) A transaction with Matt Stanley (AKA Notch_Top) in 2002. Paid about $2,800 for a CGC ASM #4 9.0. Never received the comic. As a matter of fact, I doubt he ever owned it. Took me almost a year to get a refund from him. Had to ask the help of a few sellers. He probably used my money as a free loan with no interest. After he did refund me, he tried again to sell me the book, saying that one of his relative was sick. I said no, of course, unless he was willing to sell on approval and a few weeks later, somebody else was selling it on eBay.. Funny thing is that the same book was for sale on a Comiclink auction two years ago and I was the winner...

3) A CGC 9.2 expensive book that got jammed at customs, case was cracked by customs officers in order to "check" content and arrived home with heavy handling marks and finger prints.....

4) Books that I sold that I should have never sold (no horror stories but bad regrets though): that FF 112 that became the famous CGC 9.8, a Marvel Mystery #48 that I didn't want to sell but sold on eBay, a killer ASM #3 that I sold to Harley Yee and the worst of all by far, a Captain America #1 unrestored VF that I sold in 1986 for about $400 to a local comic shop in order to pay "NM" books from Gerry Ross :tonofbricks:

Scammer stole $500 from me, was supposed to receive a VF+ copy of Hulk 181, and I got this:

hulk181scan.jpg

Then, the seller mysteriously dies, and I get the runaround from his "brother" (who had a different last name.)

If I ever find Matt Edwards of Houston Texas, he better already be dead.

-slym

Scammer stole $500 from me, was supposed to receive a VF+ copy of Hulk 181, and I got this:

hulk181scan.jpg

Then, the seller mysteriously dies, and I get the runaround from his "brother" (who had a different last name.)

If I ever find Matt Edwards of Houston Texas, he better already be dead.

-slym

Yikes! Makes me feel a little better about the "eBay VF" one I bought years ago.

My favorite story was the one that someone on the boards told about how in the 90's they had a bunch of X-Force 1 issues that they had fanned out on a table admiring when they accidentally spilled soda all over them. The way the person wrote it was classic.

Feel my pain . . . :cry:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=2564632&Searchpage=1&Main=134912&Words=x-factor+seanfingh&topic=0&Search=true#Post2564632

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=2564632&Searchpage=1&Main=134912&Words=x-factor+seanfingh&topic=0&Search=true#Post2564632

:roflmao:

Feel my pain, not mock my pain.

PS: Your avatar rules. That guy was so pimp in Apocalypto. He makes Chuck Norris seem like Punky Brewster.

PS: Your avatar rules. That guy was so pimp in Apocalypto. He makes Chuck Norris seem like Punky Brewster.

:headbang: Biggest badazz to grace the big screen in years.

While your taste in comics is questionable, you certainly know your movies.

Thanks I really need the laugh today.

Oh damn sorry I mixed up the book that it was. But the story is still classic.

...a Captain America #1 unrestored VF that I sold in 1986 for about $400 to a local comic shop in order to pay "NM" books from Gerry Ross :tonofbricks:

Excuse me, I think I'm in serious physical pain at the moment...

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: