• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Playing the re-sub game to upgrade CR-OW designation (does it work) ?

5 posts in this topic

Since CR-OW seems to be the topic of the day:

Does anyone have a much personal experience re-subbing slabbed silver/bronze books that were originally designated CR-OW by CGC and having them come back at least OW the next time in a new slab?

It would seem to me this change alone would increase the value of the average silver book by 50% and the average bronze book by 100%.

What would the success ratio be on this kind of re-sub? 10% ? 30% ? 50% ?

I have tried to avoid CR-OW but I have a few that I would re-sub if I knew a couple of them would get a page quality bump out of the CR-OW category.

What about "old labels"? Did CGC used to be tougher on page quality in the past?

I used to avoid CR-OW books when a suitable alternative was available. But after my last few submissions/unslabbed books, I lost a lot of confidence in the CGC PQ assignments... so I don't much care about it anymore. I'm not about to re-sub anything, either, but will definitely start scanning/taking pics of interior pages before I submit anything else.

Since CR-OW seems to be the topic of the day:

Does anyone have a much personal experience re-subbing slabbed silver/bronze books that were originally designated CR-OW by CGC and having them come back at least OW the next time in a new slab?

It would seem to me this change alone would increase the value of the average silver book by 50% and the average bronze book by 100%.

What would the success ratio be on this kind of re-sub? 10% ? 30% ? 50% ?

I have tried to avoid CR-OW but I have a few that I would re-sub if I knew a couple of them would get a page quality bump out of the CR-OW category.

What about "old labels"? Did CGC used to be tougher on page quality in the past?

Yes, I've had success with old labels being upgraded on page quality. Almost all of the old labels I've re-subbed have come back with better page quality. A few have come back with higher grades but for the most part the grades have been constant but the page quality seems to have been universally graded harsher in the old label days.

I think your valuations are way off though. There is no way that Cr-Ow being upgraded to OW will increase value of a SA book by 50%.

I think your valuations are way off though. There is no way that Cr-Ow being upgraded to OW will increase value of a SA book by 50%.

I disagree, but it depends on the book, the numbers of copies at that grade level, etc.

A 50% increase means if the OW-W copy sells for $100 the CR-OW copy sells for $67.

I don't think I am very far off with those numbers, based on how I see people avoiding paying anything close to GPA prices for CR-OW books ESPECIALLY bronze CR-OW books.