• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT Info about San Francisco

49 posts in this topic

I have lived in the SF area since 1987. Love it here.

OK, some suggestions... if you're only going to be here for two days, you should decide upfront to stay in the city so you can spend one day in the city and one day out of it.

If you were staying longer, I'd recommend a day and overnight stay in Mendocino. Excellent food and wine, beautiful vistas and extremely romantic/relaxing. A one or two night stay there is awesome!

But since you are only going to have a day or so, you should consider going to Napa (45 minutes or so drive from SF) if you want to daytrip there for wine tasting (highly recommended) and then there are a number of excellent restaurants to choose from for dinner. I can highly recommend Mustard's Grill. (The French Laundry - which is the best restaurant in NorCal and then some - has a one month wait list and you REALLY have to know someone or be lotto-lucky to get a reservation.) You could also take the Napa Valley Wine Train and focus on the views and the wine and less on the driving!

I haven't stayed in a hotel in the city for quite a while so I can't recommend a lot of places, but I can tell you that there are some neat, romantic hotels scattered all over. I would check out the Union Square area - I have stayed in Hotel Union Square which is a beautiful boutique hotel. Staying in that area will allow you to walk around, shop and generally have foot access to an amazing chunk of the city.

Take the trolley over to Fisherman's Wharf - walk along the pier (watch out for the Bushman!), grab lunch via crab sandwich. Check out Ghiradelli's. Too many places to have dinner that are awesome, so I'll let others recommend based on your food tastes (I saw a list posted that you can't go wrong with - if you like seafood go to Aqua!). For nightcap fun, you MUST go to the Tonga Room at the Fairmont Hotel, order a Mai Tai for two and watch the incredible indoor show.

P.s. skip all of the touristy things like Alcatraz. You want a romantic trip, not memories of prison cells. Heh.

Have fun - you'll love it!

If you're in SF and you don't take the time to go see Muir Woods, you're missing out. One of the most breathtaking sites you'll ever see.

I just got back from an SF vacation. Totally agree with the above. Also we got a muni pass which gave unlimited transportation options, look into that, we got a 7 day but there is also a 3 day pass.

We rented someones apartment in nob hill area so I don't have advice on a hotel.

We also did a wine tasting tour which was nice. The Alcatraz tour was just so-so. We basically walked around a ton and did rent bikes for one day which was great, rode over golden gate bridge, then down to the park and through there and back up the highway which was beautiful.

We then rented a car and spent 3 days in Yosemite, truly an incredible place.

82555.jpg

yeah, this time we are thinking of renting a car and doing something out of the city...

:cloud9:

SF is, without question, the easiest large city in CA to tour without a car. One could easily spend an entire day in Golden Gate Park. And if you enjoy seafood, Scoma's would definitely be a great choice for dinner. Enjoy!

SF is, without question, the easiest large city in CA to tour without a car. One could easily spend an entire day in Golden Gate Park. And if you enjoy seafood, Scoma's would definitely be a great choice for dinner. Enjoy!

oh, I agree...

I was there for a week and walked everywhere I could and hardly ever seen anything twice.

My feet were hamburger though because of those insane hills and my 260lb frame about had me looking for oxygen more than once on those peaks.

Haight Ashberry is a nice scene too check out too. Just one thing I found weird there was

preppy wanna bee grunge kids in there early 20's were always trying to bum a cigarette off

of me even though: 1) I don't smoke cigs 2) I didn't have one lit up in view...

I really liked the SF Zoo too (just don't got teasing any tigers and you'll be o.k. "hint" "hint").

(thumbs u

The only negative for me was the homeless population. They are some of the most aggressive bums and beggars on the planet, so be careful.

welcome to the city. :whistle:

If you visit Vancouver winter 2010 Olympics, you can see a population of at least 100 homeless 1 block from our Chinatown. If it was warmer in Feb, 2010, then 150 homeless would be sunning themselves on one (1) sidewalk of our "supernatural" city. :sick:

from todays paper at sfgate.com:

S.F. called one of toughest cities on homeless

Heather Knight, Rachel Gordon

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Here's a little news to dampen your day: Our city is downright mean. So says the National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty in a new report called "Homes Not Handcuffs" that tracks the criminalization of homeless people in 273 cities nationwide.

San Francisco is ranked seventh, up (down?) from 10th last year. Berkeley ranks 10th. The very meanest cities are Los Angeles; St. Petersburg, Fla.; and Orlando.

The rankings were based on the number of anti-homeless laws, how strongly those laws are enforced and the general political climate toward homeless people.

The report slams San Francisco for citing people who sleep on sidewalks and drink in public and for cracking down on homeless people camping in Golden Gate Park.

It also criticizes Mayor Gavin Newsom's idea last year to install homeless meters to encourage people to give spare change to social services rather than directly to panhandlers. The proposal has stalled after being roundly mocked, so maybe we're only, like, eighth meanest.

The only negative for me was the homeless population. They are some of the most aggressive bums and beggars on the planet, so be careful.

If you visit Vancouver winter 2010 Olympics, you can see a population of at least 100 homeless 1 block from our Chinatown. If it was warmer in Feb, 2010, then 150 homeless would be sunning themselves on one (1) sidewalk of our "supernatural" city. :sick:

I have a feeling a couple big buses are gonna pull into the downtown Eastside just before the olympics.

I have a feeling a couple big buses are gonna pull into the downtown Eastside just before the olympics.

Just what happened in Beijing, Athens, Sydney, Atlanta, Barcelona etc