• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT Info about San Francisco

49 posts in this topic

Wanted to play a trip in a few weeks to SF. Just wondering if any boardies out there live there or been there for advice. Gonna be a honeymoon typ thing. She wanted to hangout in SF for like 2 days or so then grab a car and go up highway one along the coast and see stuff and stop . Just some questions, where//what area to stay in SF? Kinda be in a good spot to see and go places? Hotels? also getting mixed stories some people say head north one Highway 1 other say south . Which way nicer? and any suggestions of where to stay?

Gonna try to fly in on Friday and leave the following Saturday or Sunday.

Any ideas are welcome and will help. Thanks

Im born and raised SF...

As for Hotels, THAT is one thing that is very personal.. There are awesome hotels, but SF isnt really a "walking" city... Very hilly, and cabs arent cheap... So maybe plan what you want to see, then look for a central hotel to that... Sites like yelp.com / citysearch.com are good for hotels... Just stay out of "The Tenderloin"...

As far as renting a car, I would say rent a convertible and go.....

SOUTH: Take the 2.5 hour drive to Monterey / Carmel, then go check out big sur.. Highway 1 is beautiful..

NORTH: Head up to Napa and Sonoma for wine tasting and relaxation. If you have never been to Ca wine country it is really stunning. Plus there are tons of cute hotels in the area (Thats about an hour drive from SF depending on where you are staying...)

my friends boss got a room at the clift hotel last friday on hotwire.com for $96, it's usually $200+ for a room. you probably want a room at the sir francis drake or the fairmont hotel. good luck and bring a coat for the lady, the city has micro climates.

The Sir Francis Drake is cool but be sure to NOT get a room under "The Starlight Room"

That is the club on top and unless you like thumping Techno until 2 am.. which you may.. you want to avoid that floor...

The Club itself is OK though.. Kinda cheasy but a killer view.. a "go for one cocktail and the view, then leave" type scene. (its on the 20-something floor with all windows so you get a great panoramic of the entire city)

the Mrs. and I are planning a SF Napa Valley trip in Sept.

It's ironic because I was just about to start this thread.

I have been to SF before and seen many of the sites.

I haven't seen Muir yet, but I might have to put that on the radar...

(thumbs u

I loved Scomas (it's hard to believe I remember the name of this place since it has

been about 10 years since my last visit). Their seafood pasta was to die for.

If it's a honeymoon type thing, you might want to plan it around food/drink. There are a number of world class food establishments in SF and hotel accommodations have dropped in price (like everywhere else).

If you want to couple some nice views of SF with dinner, try a Hornblower Dinner or Brunch Cruise which will serve you up food (just okay) and dancing while cruising up and down the Bay (and going under the Golden Gate and Bay Bridges).

Wine tasting tours in Napa or making your own way. (About an hour outside of SF.)

As with everything, you can pay less (discounts/coupons) if you look around or plan ahead.

IMO the BEST dining experience you will have in SF is at GARY DANKO...

You need 2 months for a reservation usually (may be easier now, and is def. easier if you can go on a weekday) but expect to pay 250$ per person...

The food is amazing.. a real pleasure as a dining "experience." The waiters are fantastic and really know how to pair food and wine, chease, etc...

I think its one of the only "star" rated restaurants in San Francisco.

For hotels, it also depends on what style you like. People above have recommended the Clift...it's nice, but the rooms are very modern. I stayed there on my wedding night, but it wasn't exactly our style.

The hotels on top of Nob Hill are also very, very nice...the Fairmont, Mark Hopkins, and the Four Seasons. Can't go wrong with any of those, but it might cost you.

Since it's your first visit, and a relatively short one at that, I'd recommend Napa/Somona over Monterey (sorry Jbud). There are many wineries, and it's a beautiful area. You also might want to spend a night up there, and that way you won't have as far to drive that evening. Lots of B&Bs, and I also recommend the Carneros Inn. Pricey, especially this time of year, but most of their "rooms" are actually little cabins. Very nice and romantic. (thumbs u

IMO the BEST dining experience you will have in SF is at GARY DANKO...

You need 2 months for a reservation usually (may be easier now, and is def. easier if you can go on a weekday) but expect to pay 250$ per person...

The food is amazing.. a real pleasure as a dining "experience." The waiters are fantastic and really know how to pair food and wine, chease, etc...

I think its one of the only "star" rated restaurants in San Francisco.

There are 32 Michelin Starred Restaurants in the SF Bay Area...

The MICHELIN Guide San Francisco 2009 Gives 3 Stars to

One Restaurant, 6 Restaurants Receive 2 Stars

SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 13, 2008 - Michelin today announced its selection for the third edition of the MICHELIN guide San Francisco, Bay Area and Wine Country. The MICHELIN guide contains more than 55 new establishments, and features 448 establishments in all -- a number that includes 383 restaurants representing 35 types of cuisine, and 65 area hotels.

Among the Michelin stars awarded this year:

* The French Laundry remains the sole Michelin three-star selection

* Coi joins the ranks of Michelin two-star restaurants

* Murray Circle, Plumed Horse, Trevese and The Village Pub join the Michelin one-star selections

THREE STARS (***)

ESTABLISHMENT CITY NEIGHBORHOOD

The French Laundry Yountville Napa Valley

TWO STARS (**) (by neighborhood)

Aqua San Francisco Financial District

Coi San Francisco North Beach Area

Cyrus Healdsburg Sonoma County

Manresa Los Gatos South of San Francisco

Meadowood, The Restaurant St. Helena Napa Valley

Michael Mina San Francisco Financial District

ONE STAR (*) (by neighborhood)

Acquerello San Francisco Nob Hill

Ame San Francisco SoMa

Auberge du Soleil Rutherford Napa Valley

Bistro Jeanty Yountville Napa Valley

Bouchon Yountville Napa Valley

Boulevard San Francisco SoMa

Chez Panisse Berkeley East of San Francisco

Chez TJ Mountain View South of San Francisco

Dining Room at the Ritz-Carlton (The) San Francisco Nob Hill

Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant Forestville Sonoma County

Fifth Floor San Francisco SoMa

Fleur de Lys San Francisco Financial District

Gary Danko San Francisco North Beach

La Folie San Francisco Nob Hill

Madrona Manor Healdsburg Sonoma County

Martini House St. Helena Napa Valley

Masa's San Francisco Nob Hill

Murray Circle (new) Sausalito North of San Francisco

One Market San Francisco SoMa

Plumed Horse (new) Saratoga South of San Francisco

Range San Francisco Mission District

Redd Yountville Napa Valley

Terra St. Helena Napa Valley

Trevese (new) Los Gatos South of San Francisco

Village Pub (The) (new) Woodside South of San Francisco

The Michelin Guide San Francisco, Bay Area and Wine Country 2009 features the Bib Gourmand category, which indicates Michelin inspectors' favorites for good value. This year's Bib Gourmands include 55 restaurants that serve a menu with two dishes and a glass of wine or dessert for $40 or less. The restaurants awarded this distinction can be identified by a red pictogram depicting the head of Bibendum®, the Michelin Man.

The MICHELIN guide San Francisco, Bay Area and Wine Country 2009 also includes 56 restaurants serving a meal (two dishes and a glass of wine or dessert) for $25 or less. In the selection, these establishments are indicated by the coins pictogram.

As a result, almost a third of the MICHELIN guide San Francisco, Bay Area and Wine Country 2009 selection comprises highly affordable restaurants. While the MICHELIN guide is known around the world for its famous stars, these restaurants account for just ten percent of the selection. With more than 1.2 million copies sold in approximately 100 countries, the MICHELIN guide has always built its success on the diversity of its selection and especially on small establishments offering a high-quality dining experience at an affordable price, of which the best are included in the "Our inspectors' favorites for good value" category. Moreover, inclusion in the MICHELIN guide is, in itself, synonymous with quality, since only the best establishments in each comfort and price category are selected.

Also new for 2009, consumers will have the option to access the North American MICHELIN guide selections on their mobile phones through a licensing agreement with mobile content provider UBI UBI. The content for all four U.S. MICHELIN guides, which include New York City, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas, will be available by subscription beginning in October 2008. For more information, please visit www.ubiubi.mobi .

The MICHELIN guide San Francisco, Bay Area and Wine Country 2009 includes a total of 32 "starred" restaurants, of which one -- The French Laundry -- has received three stars, six two stars and 25 one star. To ensure a consistent selection, the same five criteria are used for awarding stars in all countries: product quality, preparation and flavors, the cuisine's personality, value for money and consistency.

One star * means a very good restaurant in its category.

Two stars ** mean excellent cooking, worth a detour.

Three stars *** mean exceptional cuisine, worth a special journey.

http://www.hotel-online.com/News/PR2008_4th/Oct08_MichelinSF.html

It seems like napa and monterey are far drives for a two day stay. Why not just hang out nearby, and make the most of your time? Sausalito is a romantic place to hang out and is right over the Golden Gate Bridge.

http://www.sausalito.org/ (check out the visual tour)

There are also plenty of fun things to do at Golden Gate Park (Japanese Tea Garden, Conservatory, Newly rebuilt Academy of Sciences,.. all very beautiful).

http://www.parks.sfgov.org/wcm_recpark/GGP/GGPMap.pdf

Fisherman's warf/Pier 39 is an all day tourist affair, as well.

Union Square is fun, if she likes to shop.

I had a ball in my last visit in May of '99...

**** My wife was tripping on the first day though (as a heads-up is still "IS" a city, so be aware)

As soon as we checked into the hotel the fun began...

We walked out side of the Hilton and there were a good bit of vagrants that were ready to

greet you and ask for money. This is no big issue BUT these bums actually too close for comfort

and I actually had to push some back for trying to put their arm around me which was supa-bold!

It was a trip they would actually follow you singing (odd)...

Then we went in to a pizza joint right up street where an italian dude walked in that looked

like he was straight the godfather movies with a bulge near his ankle (so he definitely packing heat). and while we were eating our pie, some gang bangers were beating a mailbox in with a bat

right out side.

We took it all is stride, and was blown away by one report...

(Warning Graphic Story to follow: If you don't want to possibly jade your vacation ideas don't read this...)

There was a missing local girl case (She was out celebrating her birthday in town and left a bar alone not to be seen again) that was all over the news and since we were there all week I tried to make sure I kept this in mind while I recon'ed safe places for me and the Mrs.

I remember walking by the Wharf and noticing construction and large mounds of dirt.

Everyday things would unfold in this case...

Day one: There was concern and all over the news

Day two: Her family and friends was posting missing person pages all over town

Day three: They found some one had used her ATM and were tracking the location

Day four: They got the ATM location and started reviewing footage

Day five: They got a fuzzy image of who was using her card and was trying to identify him

Day six: Near the Wharf, a construction member found her lifeless body in one of the mounds of dirt.

Day seven: (this chilled me to the bone) They found out who was on the ATM tape...

her Cab Driver that night!!!! He raped, murdered and buried that girl there in the Wharf.

So just be aware (don't be scared) but keep a good head on your shoulders,

if something doesn't feel right - it usually isn't.

(thumbs u

I had a ball in my last visit in May of '99...

**** My wife was tripping on the first day though (as a heads-up is still "IS" a city, so be aware)

As soon as we checked into the hotel the fun began...

We walked out side of the Hilton and there were a good bit of vagrants that were ready to

greet you and ask for money. This is no big issue BUT these bums actually too close for comfort

and I actually had to push some back for trying to put their arm around me which was supa-bold!

It was a trip they would actually follow you singing (odd)...

Then we went in to a pizza joint right up street where an italian dude walked in that looked

like he was straight the godfather movies with a bulge near his ankle (so he definitely packing heat). and while we were eating our pie, some gang bangers were beating a mailbox in with a bat

right out side.

We took it all is stride, and was blow away by one report...

(Warning Graphic Story to follow: If you don't want to possibly jade your vacation ideas don't read this...)

There was a missing girl case that was all over the news and since we were there all week.

She was out celebrating her birthday in town and left a bar alone not to be seen again.

I tried to make sure I kept this in mind while I recon'ed safe places for me and the Mrs.

I remember walking by the Wharf and noticing construction and large mounds of dirt.

Everyday things would unfold in this case...

Day one: There was concern and all over the news

Day two: Her family and friends was posting missing person pages all over town

Day three: They found some one had used her ATM and were tracking the location

Day four: They got the ATM location and started reviewing footage

Day five: They got a fuzzy image of who was using her card and was trying to identify him

Day six: Near the Wharf, a construction member found her lifeless body in one of the mounds of dirt.

Day seven: (this chilled me to the bone) They found out who was on the ATM tape...

her Cab Driver that night!!!! He raped, murdered and buried that girl there in the Wharf.

So just be aware (don't be scared) but keep a good head on your shoulders,

if something doesn't feel right - it usually isn't.

(thumbs u

Funny you should say that. I just got back from NY this weekend; expecting to see three piece suits proliferating about wall street. Well, we arrived at JFK and took the midnight Atrain to Madison Square for a business conference. Let's just say, I'll take SF for safety any day. In SF, there are a lot of homeless, but they generally don't bite,... NY on the other hand.

Personally, I never have had any problems in the major city (don't go around 24th and mission and tenderloin as others mentioned). Hang around union square, and you should be fine.

Let's just say, I'll take SF for safety any day. In SF, there are a lot of homeless, but they generally don't bite,... NY on the other hand.

yeah, I am hip and agree 100%

I just didn't have "the city" mentality when I went and was kind of set back a little.

One other thing that was funny is there was a bum lying in the middle of the side walk

during lunch time he just rolled over and whizzed right there. People were side stepping

and juking to avoid getting getting sprayed like it was no problem. I saw a cop take in the

whole then a he just kept eating his sandwitch...

I also saw an old lady with a dead cat in a basket ask money for her kitty. Flies were all over

the carcass and her she was acting like it was no issue...

I guess this is everyday stuff in SF...

After spending a few years living in the peninsula, we found we rarely ventured into "The City" as locals like to call it. Skip SF and venture to the surrounding areas like Half Moon Bay (south) or Point Reyes (north). Just remember to do any and all driving on the weekend or between the hours of 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. or after 8 p.m. (thumbs u