• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
14 14

7,061 posts in this topic

Where the heck is kimik (Ryan)...haven't heard form him in a couple of posts...

Maybe he's grounded from the Boards.

Some people step away from the key board to breathe once in a while.

I hear the AF #15 collectors breathe a little more often than Showcase #22 collectors though.

Do you think that's true?

:baiting:

Yeah...I've even been told by some Boardies in PM mode that they're "stepping away to finish a movie with the g'friend...".

By the way, Roy, what was the movie like ? :luhv:

Can't remember which move it was.

hm

That's because there are 1241 graded copies of AF15 and only 246 of SC22. There is more pressure on this side of the fence. You blink and a copy may slip by.

Soon to be 247 ;)

cgc results...

001 Showcase 22 9-10/59 D.C. Comics Universal 2.0 CREAM TO OFF-WHITE

002 Showcase 22 9-10/59 D.C. Comics Universal 3.0 OFF-WHITE

003 Showcase 22 9-10/59 D.C. Comics Universal 2.0 CREAM TO OFF-WHITE

004 Showcase 22 9-10/59 D.C. Comics Universal 2.5 LIGHT TAN TO OFF-WHITE

all low grade..but will obviously be wanted by someone....especially the 3.0 OFF-WHITE

At least it won't break the bank...but if people don't buy now...it might just will. :headbang:

That's because there are 1241 graded copies of AF15 and only 246 of SC22. There is more pressure on this side of the fence. You blink and a copy may slip by.

A year ago, maybe. Now? There are more Showcase 22's for sale than you can shake a stick at.

A year ago, maybe. Now? There are more Showcase 22's for sale than you can shake a stick at.

huh (shrug)

a year ago, there were like 50+ copies of SC 22 in the market for sale (mostly low grade)..and they were virtually ALL there week after week after week (I know, because I did daily searches looking for a nice copy for me)...you couldn't turn around without tripping over a dozen of them

...today, I can't even find 5 with a fair amount of looking (one on metro, a super low grade), none on clink, 1 auction on ebay (lower grade), the 5.5 recent ebay auction....none on comic connect, or payette, or any other major dealer site :o

and if one is posted, as someone stated above, it is snatched up almost immediately!!!

true, we have traded a bunch of copies on this board, but virtually every copy at SDCC this year was scooped up (at least 30 or so that I saw)...

and, yes, I did see about a dozen+ at chicago, but I am sure by now, they are long absorbed...

right now, there is virtually NO supply of SC 22 for sale, compared to a year ago...and demand is at a fever (whether justified or not, hype or true demand, etc)

huh (shrug)

a year ago, there were like 50+ copies of SC 22 in the market for sale (mostly low grade)..and they were virtually ALL there week after week after week (I know, because I did daily searches looking for a nice copy for me)...you couldn't turn around without tripping over a dozen of them

...today, I can't even find 5 with a fair amount of looking (one on metro, a super low grade), none on clink, 1 auction on ebay (lower grade), the 5.5 recent ebay auction....none on comic connect, or payette, or any other major dealer site :o

and if one is posted, as someone stated above, it is snatched up almost immediately!!!

true, we have traded a bunch of copies on this board, but virtually every copy at SDCC this year was scooped up (at least 30 or so that I saw)...

and, yes, I did see about a dozen+ at chicago, but I am sure by now, they are long absorbed...

right now, there is virtually NO supply of SC 22 for sale, compared to a year ago...and demand is at a fever (whether justified or not, hype or true demand, etc)

Exactly. I can remember passing on 4.0s - 5.0s last year for $600 - $800 in the hopes of finding a nicer copy. I e-mailed every advertiser in the OSPG last month and all I could find were three copies - a CGC 3.0 I snagged for piper, one in GD and a so called VG- that was really a GD if not a bit worse. That is it. My guess is that the 5.0 and better copies are tied up in private collections and will hopefully start to surface next year as prices rise to the point that it makes sense for long time collectors to sell them.

huh (shrug)

I agree with Detective27kid on this. I collectected silver age comics since I was 14 and the first few comics I bought was a Showcase 22 coverless (that's all I could afford) which some have you have seen a page of it on this thread. I have been a market watcher for SC22 for over twenty years and I can brag and say I know this book's history, supply, and value. I've seen many copies through out the years and SC22 and supply was a dime a dozen. But everytime I was offered a copy, it was always 5.0 and under. Even last year, until SDCC you can still find copy on ebay, dealer sites and cons. I don't think anyone could have predicted this surge in demand. If tec27 knew how much demand it was now, he would have kept most of his copies. Nontheless, it order for more supply to surface, the prices to rise, but there is definately a surge in graded copies in the last months.

huh (shrug)

I agree with Detective27kid on this. I collectected silver age comics since I was 14 and the first few comics I bought was a Showcase 22 coverless (that's all I could afford) which some have you have seen a page of it on this thread. I have been a market watcher for SC22 for over twenty years and I can brag and say I know this book's history, supply, and value. I've seen many copies through out the years and SC22 and supply was a dime a dozen. But everytime I was offered a copy, it was always 5.0 and under. Even last year, until SDCC you can still find copy on ebay, dealer sites and cons. I don't think anyone could have predicted this surge in demand. If tec27 knew how much demand it was now, he would have kept most of his copies. Nontheless, it order for more supply to surface, the prices to rise, but there is definately a surge in graded copies in the last months.

I'll take a dozen for a dime!

and 192 graded copies of showcase #4 and that book is still deader than disco.

until a flash movie comes out lol

Possibly in census numbers, but I don't see as big a gain in prices. The Flash seems to be a little less compelling of a character than GL (and I was a big Flash fan during the Waid run). Even the Johns/Van Sciver Flash Rebirth is doing a bit worse than expected from what I have heard. (shrug)

The other thing working against SC #4 is that it is an expensive book to start with? SC #22 is just catching up to its price levels, so it will be harder to move substantially from where it currently sits.

Edited by kimik

Possibly, but the Flash seems to be a little less compelling of a character than GL. Even the Johns/Van Sciver Flash Rebirth is doing a bit worse than expected from what I have heard.

The other thing working against SC #4 is that it is an expensive book to start with? SC #22 is just catching up to its price levels, so it will be harder to move substantially from where it currently sits.

Don't get me wrong...Showcase 4 is a very important book. SC 4 has increase 100% the last ten years and that is why the prices is currently stalled. For price wise (not OSPG), Showcase 22 is the second most valued Silver Age DC and the recent sells speak for itself. SC22 has a lot going for it right now: under value, current story lines, movie, and SDCC 2009 exposure (BTW over 125000 attendance). If the run-up for Showcase 22 gets to Showcase 4 prices than it become too pricey. Time will tell if there will ever be a copy graded over 9.0. There is still a lot of price increase potential for SC22. (thumbs u

I dunno, I thought this was a healthy price for a 4.5 (shrug)

Don't get me wrong...Showcase 4 is a very important book. SC 4 has increase 100% the last ten years and that is why the prices is currently stalled. For price wise (not OSPG), Showcase 22 is the second most valued Silver Age DC and the recent sells speak for itself. SC22 has a lot going for it right now: under value, current story lines, movie, and SDCC 2009 exposure (BTW over 125000 attendance). If the run-up for Showcase 22 gets to Showcase 4 prices than it become too pricey. Time will tell if there will ever be a copy graded over 9.0. There is still a lot of price increase potential for SC22. (thumbs u

I agree that SC #4 is still a significant book, but it is sort of the FF #1 of the DC Silver Age with SC #22 is turning into the AF #15. That being said, without the early success of SC #4 we would not have seen the return of the super-hero book to prominence until a later date (if at all). Remember, it was not until B&B #28 that Marvel finally got off its butt and came out with FF #1.

I dunno, I thought this was a healthy price for a 4.5 (shrug)

Wow. I don't think that SC #22 will hit that level in 4.5, but if it does then anyone with a copy now will be :banana:^^

Edited by kimik

yes, it truly is all about the movie hype. i don't buy the geoff johns revival driving things (though it doesn't hurt). when AF 15 was hotter than a pistol the last go round, every ASM title sucked eggs. unless i'm misremembering it was in the timeframe leading up to the release of Spider-Man 3.

Edited by paperheart