• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
14 14

7,061 posts in this topic

The interesting thing is that the majority of the new copies of SC #22 that have come out of hiding are low to lower mid grade condition. We have seen very few 8.0+ copies emerge. There might have been one from the same run that the 9.6 SC #4 came from, but I believe that the OO stopped buying before #22.

The interesting thing is that the majority of the new copies of SC #22 that have come out of hiding are low to lower mid grade condition. We have seen very few 8.0+ copies emerge. There might have been one from the same run that the 9.6 SC #4 came from, but I believe that the OO stopped buying before #22.

(thumbs u There was no #22 in that collection.

incredible price for the 9.0

passes showcase #4 as most valuable DC silver in grade (i think)

That`s only because there are no higher copies of #22, whereas a 9.0 SC #4 sits 4th on the totem pole behind a 9.6, a 9.4 and one at a grade that I dare not mention otherwise Sharpton Esq. will magically appear.

That`s only because there are no higher copies of #22, whereas a 9.0 SC #4 sits 4th on the totem pole behind a 9.6, a 9.4 and one at a grade that I dare not mention otherwise Sharpton Esq. will magically appear.

Who is Sharpton Esq.?

lol

I would have to say that odds are there IS a 9.2 out there. or on your list already (just being snarky, Im sure both 9.0s have been vetted already). As we have talked here for years, and see happening every now and then, HG DCs are scarce because their collectors are hoarders and not sellers. The books are out there. Not in Marvel numbers.... but they exists and we will see them only when they go on sale.

Respectfully disagreeing, I don't think there is a 9.2 sitting out there. If so, someone would have graded it years ago. Once CGC was on firm ground, I think most of the ultra HG SA DCs surfaced. Just using my knowledge and soapboxing for alot of the oldies pertaining to this book. It's always on the 'ole goodboy Christmas list for DC collectors, but Santa always disappoints them.

Go sample the old CBGs (Comics Buyers Guides) and look in the ad pages. Betcha won't see many HG DCs for sale in them. Yes, DCs are in shorter supply than Marvels, esp 7 up. And I'd put SC22 near the top of the list. No kidding, I've pretty much done a daily search on ebay for SC22 for years. Maybe hit one nice match a month. Spiderman 1s? Daily matches by the dirt buggy ! I hear Tim has a 9.4 BB28. Personally, that's the first one I've ever heard of...much less being put in an auction house for sale !!

But, I've been wrong before.... :preach:

I think Peewee raises a good point, because almost all of the top SA DC mega-keys came into the Census from 2002-2004:

9.4 B&B 28

9.4 GL 1

9.4 and 9.6 Adventure 247

9.4 and 9.6 Aquaman 1

9.4 Showcase 34

9.4 B&B 34

9.2 Flash 105 (which has subsequently become the 9.4 Flash 105 that currently tops the Census)

9.4 Flash 123

There has been amazingly little movement at the top during the past 5 years. A few additional tied for highest grade copies have appeared, but mostly in the 2nd tier mega-keys like Showcase 34 and B&B 34.

The only changes where a new top copy emerged that I can think of off the top of my head in recent years have been the 9.6 Showcase 4 (which displaced the 9.4 copy which had been in the Census from early on), the 9.6 JLA 1 (which displaced the 9.4 copy which had been there from early on) and the 9.6 Atom 1 (which displaced the 9.4 copy which had been there from early on).

Even the Toth collection didn`t displace any top mega-key.

Maybe prices like $59K will draw more Showcase 22s out of the woodworks, but $60K in more valuable 2003 dollars didn`t draw more B&B 28s out of the woodworks.

Who is Sharpton Esq.?

Check out the Heritage thread in GA. Or just say the mystical combination of the book and the grade that cannot be mentioned and he will magically appear.

Who is Sharpton Esq.?

Check out the Heritage thread in GA. Or just say the mystical combination of the book and the grade that cannot be mentioned and he will magically appear.

I know. Just wanted to see if anyone would come out and say it. :devil:

I would have to say that odds are there IS a 9.2 out there. or on your list already (just being snarky, Im sure both 9.0s have been vetted already). As we have talked here for years, and see happening every now and then, HG DCs are scarce because their collectors are hoarders and not sellers. The books are out there. Not in Marvel numbers.... but they exists and we will see them only when they go on sale.

Respectfully disagreeing, I don't think there is a 9.2 sitting out there. If so, someone would have graded it years ago. Once CGC was on firm ground, I think most of the ultra HG SA DCs surfaced. Just using my knowledge and soapboxing for alot of the oldies pertaining to this book. It's always on the 'ole goodboy Christmas list for DC collectors, but Santa always disappoints them.

Go sample the old CBGs (Comics Buyers Guides) and look in the ad pages. Betcha won't see many HG DCs for sale in them. Yes, DCs are in shorter supply than Marvels, esp 7 up. And I'd put SC22 near the top of the list. No kidding, I've pretty much done a daily search on ebay for SC22 for years. Maybe hit one nice match a month. Spiderman 1s? Daily matches by the dirt buggy ! I hear Tim has a 9.4 BB28. Personally, that's the first one I've ever heard of...much less being put in an auction house for sale !!

I think Peewee raises a good point, because almost all of the top SA DC mega-keys came into the Census from 2002-2004:

9.4 B&B 28

9.4 GL 1

9.4 and 9.6 Aquaman 1

9.4 Showcase 34

9.4 B&B 34

9.2 Flash 105 (which has subsequently become the 9.4 Flash 105 that currently tops the Census)

9.4 Flash 123

There has been amazingly little movement at the top during the past 5 years. A few additional tied for highest grade copies have appeared, but mostly in the 2nd tier mega-keys like Showcase 34 and B&B 34.

The only changes where a new top copy emerged that I can think of off the top of my head in recent years have been the 9.6 Showcase 4 (which displaced the 9.4 copy which had been in the Census from early on), the 9.6 JLA 1 (which displaced the 9.4 copy which had been there from early on) and the 9.6 Atom 1 (which displaced the 9.4 copy which had been there from early on).

Maybe prices like $59K will draw more Showcase 22s out of the woodworks, but $60K in more valuable 2003 dollars didn`t draw more B&B 28s out of the woodworks.

Is Tim's figure's correct? Is there only ONE copy in the CGC census of those DC books he has listed?

(Hey, there's no SC22 there !?) :whistle:

I'm going to disagree with y'all. I'll bet money that there are lots of SC #22 out there in higher grade. They're just sitting in collections with no need to get graded.

I'm going to disagree with y'all. I'll bet money that there are lots of SC #22 out there in higher grade. They're just sitting in collections with no need to get graded.

Yes...there is still a lot of copies out there that are not graded. But when they get graded...it's normally a 5.0 and under. Last census there wasn't any copies graded higher than a 4.5.

We did have the Mound City 8.0 this fall.

We are still waiting for the result of Rick's private sale copy. Also, aman619 has some really nice raw copies. Whenever he ever gets them graded, it will grade at least a 6.0+ . (thumbs u

Edited by showcase22gr1959

9.4 B&B 28

9.4 GL 1

9.4 and 9.6 Aquaman 1

9.4 Showcase 34

9.4 B&B 34

9.4 Flash 123

It's going to be very hard to top that BB28 at 9.4. Aren't you glad Hong Kong dollars is peg to the US dollars. Your BB28 done a lot better than holding US dollars (which dropped over 40% against most currency).

9.4 B&B 28

9.4 GL 1

9.4 and 9.6 Aquaman 1

9.4 Showcase 34

9.4 B&B 34

9.4 Flash 123

Is Tim's figure's correct? Is there only ONE copy in the CGC census of those DC books he has listed?

(Hey, there's no SC22 there !?) :whistle:

No, as I indicated, there is more than 1 copy at the top of the census for Showcase 34 and B&B 34, and also for Flash 123. Many of the top census copies ARE just single copies, however: 9.6 Adventure 247, 9.4 B&B 28, 9.4 GL 1, 9.6 Aquaman 1, 9.6 JLA 1, 9.6 Showcase 4

My point was that many of the initial copies of the big keys at the top of the Census appeared very early on in the life of the Census. They didn`t continuously emerge in drips and drabs over the years. And there has been relatively little movement at the top since then. Many SA DC keys still don`t exist in 9.4 or higher.

The only issues where I can remember a new copy emerging post-2004 that set a new highest grade mark was the 9.6 Showcase 4 (and even that came out a while ago when Goldman slabbed the Newsboy Showcase run), the 9.6 JLA 1 that was slabbed by Cheetah`s LCS owner, and a 9.6 Atom 1 (I forgot to mention that in my previous post, but I`ve been unsure whether it was a resubbed 9.4 copy).