• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
13 13

7,061 posts in this topic

CGC doesn't subtract for dust shadows, so I'd say it looks like a pretty legit 8.5 by CGC's grading standards. In fact, I don't really see any difference between it and the Keller 9.0 copy, although of course my comments are based on just looking at a small scan of the front cover, and seeing the back cover and/or the book in hand could reveal lots of other defects.

Now whether someone would want to spend 8.5 money with that dust shadow is a different matter.

It being an old label, I bet a resub would get rid of the pesky "cream" page quality designation.

CGC doesn't subtract for dust shadows, so I'd say it looks like a pretty legit 8.5 by CGC's grading standards. In fact, I don't really see any difference between it and the Keller 9.0 copy, although of course my comments are based on just looking at a small scan of the front cover, and seeing the back cover and/or the book in hand could reveal lots of other defects.

Now whether someone would want to spend 8.5 money with that dust shadow is a different matter.

It being an old label, I bet a resub would get rid of the pesky "cream" page quality designation.

You do have a point on the dust shadow...but I feel it's just a wee bit too much. From my experience, I know CGC downgrades 9.6 to 9.4 if it had a slight dust shadow. If you go to Heritage archives and get a bigger scan of the Nicolas copy, you will notice there are a bit more color breaks and imperfections than the Keller copy. I feel this copy is stronger than the Mound City copy though, but a weaker 8.5. 2c

Edited by showcase22gr1959

Why is it I always read that people say 'resub this book and get a page quality bump'? Wouldn't it be more likely for the page quality to decrease rather than increase in 5 years? I just don't get it.

What is with the whitish scuffs/ink issues you see along the spine on a lot of these books? Even this 8.5 has it.

Do you mean the whitish scuff near along the spine in the grey area? Maybe printing defect in most copies. hm

Yes.

Why is it I always read that people say 'resub this book and get a page quality bump'? Wouldn't it be more likely for the page quality to decrease rather than increase in 5 years? I just don't get it.

In theory, if CGC graded PQ the same today as they did before, then yes. And if the owner has not stored the book properly, then also yes.

However, in my opinion CGC has loosened its PQ grading since the old label days. So if the book has been preserved properly and hasn't visibly aged, then I wouldn't be surprised if it got a bump on PQ.

:news: There's a Showcase 22 8.5 restored on ComicLink and the seller wants $10000. That 6.5 CGC copy sold recently for $5k was a bargain. ;)

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Dshowcase%2B22%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26ItemType%3DCB&id=823307

Edited by showcase22gr1959

:news: There's a Showcase 22 8.5 restored on ComicLink and the seller wants $10000. That 6.5 CGC copy sold recently for $5k was a bargain. ;)

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Dshowcase%2B22%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26ItemType%3DCB&id=823307

The bottom right is trimmed...just follow the right edge cut down and you'll get c*ck-eyed near the bottom.

Doesn't look NEAR your book Rich.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Someone asked me "Are were in a comic bubble"

I believe we are in the 3rd inning and have a lot more room to rise (golden age and silver age quality material and high end) till this "bubble burst". Below are seven signs if we a in a comic bubble.

1) almost everyone you know talks about the rise of comics

2) many people begin to flip comics for a quick profit

3) many people spending their life savings and are cashing in their 401k to buy comics (I'm sure some of you out there have done this)

4) it's not about collecting anymore, but it's about making money

5) restored comics are rising rapidly too

6)five to ten comic related movies are made in one year.

7)single comic sold for a million dollar

8)more single comics reaching $500,000-1,000000 in auction house

9)Showcase 22 9.0 reaches $200000 (I add this one in just because I love SC22 so much)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Someone asked me "Are were in a comic bubble"

I believe we are in the 3rd inning and have a lot more room to rise (golden age and silver age quality material and high end) till this "bubble burst". Below are seven signs if we a in a comic bubble.

1) almost everyone you know talks about the rise of comics

I don't think it has to become a mainstream phenomenon for a bubble to happen. The narrower the asset class, the narrower the buy-in has to be.

2) many people begin to flip comics for a quick profit

We're already there.

3) many people spending their life savings and are cashing in their 401k to buy comics (I'm sure some of you out there have done this)

I don't know specifically about these types of actions, but there do seem to be some heavily indebted collectors, including on these boards.

4) it's not about collecting anymore, but it's about making money

We're already there.

5) restored comics are rising rapidly too

Why? ???

6)five to ten comic related movies are made in one year.

Again, this seems to be pretty arbitrary criteria and is influenced by factors that have nothing to do with demand for back issues, such as studio budget tightening and lack of financing for new projects. In any event, we're probably pretty close already. Not every comic-related movie involves Marvel or DC mainstream characters.

7)single comic sold for a million dollar

There are several comics that could, they're just not for sale. But I agree that a headline number like this could accelerate the mania.

8)more single comics reaching $500,000-1,000000 in auction house

Again, it takes 2 to tango, and the people who own books capable of reaching these figures ain't selling.

9)Showcase 22 9.0 reaches $200000 (I add this one in just because I love SC22 so much)

Actually, you're missing 2 other important criteria:

1. jimjum12 and r1970d say that a comic's sales price is too expensive and it has no chance of being more valuable in the future

2. delekkerste throws in the towel, admits he missed about 1000% of appreciation during the last 6 years and starts buying slabbed books like a drunken sailor

Edited by tth2

1. jimjum12 and r1970d say that a comic's sales price is too expensive and it has no chance of being more valuable in the future

2. delekkerste throws in the towel, admits he missed about 1000% of appreciation during the last 6 years and starts buying slabbed books like a drunken sailor

:roflmao:

Those are two sure signs of the apocalypse right there, Vern.

:roflmao:

Those are two sure signs of the apocalypse right there, Vern.

lol