• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
13 13

7,061 posts in this topic

If there was a 9.6 SC #22 in the Newsboy run it would have been interesting to see if it would have fetched a higher price than the relatively common in uber high grade SC #4.

I don't think it would have but you never know. For sure SC22 is more valuable thatn Flash 105 now and it still is ranked lower in the OSPG.

If there was a 9.6 SC #22 in the Newsboy run it would have been interesting to see if it would have fetched a higher price than the relatively common in uber high grade SC #4.

I don't think it would have but you never know. For sure SC22 is more valuable thatn Flash 105 now and it still is ranked lower in the OSPG.

It depends. That sale was last summer, right? If yes, that would have put it smack dab in the middle of the first SC #22 run up.

It depends. That sale was last summer, right? If yes, that would have put it smack dab in the middle of the first SC #22 run up.

Hard to say. In the same way that the laws of physics don`t work the same at the sub-atomic level, the laws of comic book pricing don`t always work the same at the six-figure level. When the Law of Multiples Extrapolation runs into the Law of Big Numbers, the Law of Big Numbers tends to win out, which helps to explain in part why the 9.6 Showcase 4 went for so cheap.

Hard to say. In the same way that the laws of physics don`t work the same at the sub-atomic level, the laws of comic book pricing don`t always work the same at the six-figure level. When the Law of Multiples Extrapolation runs into the Law of Big Numbers, the Law of Big Numbers tends to win out, which helps to explain in part why the 9.6 Showcase 4 went for so cheap.

I agree, but it seems like SC #4 is in a downswing while SC #22 is on the rise. I figured that the #4 would top $200K due to its significance, but it did not. Due to the GL movie, there may be more people willing to chase SC #22 rather than SC #4. In the case of #4, if it were to come to market again now (we know that it likely will not resurface for a while), I think it would have a hard time reaching the price Mark paid for it last year. Maybe a Flash movie would change that, but right now all of the momentum is on the side of SC #22.

I agree, but it seems like SC #4 is in a downswing while SC #22 is on the rise. I figured that the #4 would top $200K due to its significance, but it did not. Due to the GL movie, there may be more people willing to chase SC #22 rather than SC #4. In the case of #4, if it were to come to market again now (we know that it likely will not resurface for a while), I think it would have a hard time reaching the price Mark paid for it last year. Maybe a Flash movie would change that, but right now all of the momentum is on the side of SC #22.

Yeah...SC4 is fully valued and with a Flash movie, it will help it a wee bit more. On the other hand, SC22 has high potential. Green Lantern has too much going for it; such as, a possible sequel and a cartoon to coincide with the release with the movie. This may generate the next generations of fans and will be great for future other DC movies.

If that were to happen, it would be the equivalent of the time Detective 27 surpassed Action 1 for one brief shining moment in the late 1980s, thanks to the unexpected mega-success of the first Batman movie. I have no doubt that people in the long run would come to their senses and put Showcase 4 back up where it belongs.

Also, I think the 9.6 Showcase 4 sale was an aberration, so I wouldn`t read too much into it. The 9.4 copy sold for around $150K, if I remember correctly, which was about where several seasoned collectors predicted. I think the correct price for the 9.6 would be somewhere around $200K or higher, and the winning bidder might very well have been willing to go higher, but for some reason no other competing bidder emerged.

Also, SC 22`s price has been driven by speculation and the realization that it`s genuinely hard to find in any kind of decent grade--much harder than #4. If copies also existed in 9.2, 9.4 and 9.6 like #4, I don`t think the 9.0 copy would have gone for nearly as much.

If that were to happen, it would be the equivalent of the time Detective 27 surpassed Action 1 for one brief shining moment in the late 1980s, thanks to the unexpected mega-success of the first Batman movie. I have no doubt that people in the long run would come to their senses and put Showcase 4 back up where it belongs.

Also, I think the 9.6 Showcase 4 sale was an aberration, so I wouldn`t read too much into it. The 9.4 copy sold for around $150K, if I remember correctly, which was about where several seasoned collectors predicted. I think the correct price for the 9.6 would be somewhere around $200K or higher, and the winning bidder might very well have been willing to go higher, but for some reason no other competing bidder emerged.

Also, SC 22`s price has been driven by speculation and the realization that it`s genuinely hard to find in any kind of decent grade--much harder than #4. If copies also existed in 9.2, 9.4 and 9.6 like #4, I don`t think the 9.0 copy would have gone for nearly as much.

Would the 9.4 SC #4 hit that price now? I doubt it with the 9.6 out there. I would say that the price paid for the 9.6 was more a sign of the current interest level in the book rather than an aberration.

The Flash is not a truly top tier DC property any longer. I look at it as the DC equivalent of FF #1 for Marvel. Start of the DC superhero SA, considered the first SA key by fanboys in the 60s and 70s (silly boomers lol ), but now the Flash and FF are much less important/popular characters. However, FF #1 benefits from being the 1st SA Marvel which means a much larger fan base considers it important relative to SC #4 so its high end prices likely have more staying power.

Au contraire- Since Barry Allen and Geoff Johns has returned to the Flash has been a top ten book every month. My fear is that the Flash is due for a run. SC 22 was a dead book for years until Geoff Johns and a movie. Now the Flash has Geoff and there has been movie talk. I need about 4 more years to get everything I need and I would rather not pay high prices.

Au contraire- Since Barry Allen and Geoff Johns has returned to the Flash has been a top ten book every month. My fear is that the Flash is due for a run. SC 22 was a dead book for years until Geoff Johns and a movie. Now the Flash has Geoff and there has been movie talk. I need about 4 more years to get everything I need and I would rather not pay high prices.

The problem with SC #4, unfortunately/fortunately depending on where you sit, is that the prices are already starting from a high base. There is not as much room to run up with that book as there is with Flash #105 (judging by your name, you probably have that taken care of (thumbs u ).

In addition, I think that the early SA Flash books have already had their big run up (Tim, please correct me if I am wrong here). And, we have already seen the sell off of HG Flash runs from some of the big DC SA collectors over the past couple of years so the prices might have a hard time going up a lot from here. There have also been more HG copies of early SA Flash issues added to the census as well.

Mind you, the same thing has happened with a lot of other SA DC titles as well as the number of copies has increased but the number of deep pocket collectors does not appear to have kept pace.

Would the 9.4 SC #4 hit that price now? I doubt it with the 9.6 out there. I would say that the price paid for the 9.6 was more a sign of the current interest level in the book rather than an aberration.

The 9.4 copy didn't sell all that long before the 9.6, so it's not like the 9.4 sold during the period when Flash was ultra-hot and the 9.6 sold after the market had cooled down.

Anyways, regardless of whether a 9.6 Showcase 4 or a 9.6 Showcase 22 would go for more, suffice to say that I believe the 9.6 price for the #4 was an aberration and if it came up for sale again it would definitely not go as cheap.

From my observations and research, It will be an amazing task for the 9.4 or 9.6 to sell any much higher than the previous sale. The 9.2 was sold for 62K in 2004 and still NO bite between $80-100K. Unless this copy can clear this obstacle, the 9.4+ price uptick is futile.

Edited by showcase22gr1959