• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
14 14

7,061 posts in this topic

Now back to the subject matter . . .

Here's a reprint that was issued here in March 1960. Like every other comic that was available here at the time, it's colour covers and black and white interiors. In addition to the SC22 yarn, the book has reprints of Suicide Squad, Buzzy, Fox and the Crow, Tomahawk, Adam Strange, Foley of the Fightin' 5th, Nighthawk and some "mystery" strips.

Leafing through the thing, I was reminded how weird publishing here was "back in the day".

One of the Nighthawk stories was "A Jailbird named Nighthawk". This was re-lettered to the appropriately English "Gaolbird" lol - and clumsily at that.

Similarly, The story "We Found the Million Dollar Monster" became the "Million Pound" :insane: monster.

Interestingly, this issue (17) was the first of this longish (80 issue) run.

Now, I know this doesn't qualify as full club membership, but perhaps an Associate status?

AllFavourites17760x1063.jpg

Edited by Duffman_Comics

Here's a reprint that was issued here in March 1960. Like every other comic that was available here at the time, it's colour covers and black and white interiors. In addition to the SC22 yarn, the book has reprints of Suicide Squad, Buzzy, Fox and the Crow, Tomahawk, Adam Strange, Foley of the Fightin' 5th, Nighthawk and some "mystery" strips.

Leafing through the thing, I was reminded how weird publishing here was "back in the day".

One of the Nighthawk stories was "A Jailbird named Nighthawk". This was re-lettered to the appropriately English "Gaolbird" lol - and clumsily at that.

Similarly, The story "We Found the Million Dollar Monster" became the "Million Pound" :insane: monster.

Now, I know this doesn't qualify as full club membership, but perhaps an Associate status?

AllFavourites17760x1063.jpg

Very unique item. :applause: I've been contemplating a while back for the one that's been on Ebay but didn't snatch it. doh! As I re-called, it didn't have the full reprint of SC22 right?

Edited by showcase22gr1959

I just discovered these clubs... can I join?

This is mine:

1025717-001.jpg

And I just saw the trailer for the GL movie in the theaters when I took my daughter to see the new Harry Potter.

The movie looks really good to me!

I just discovered these clubs... can I join?

This is mine:

1025717-001.jpg

And I just saw the trailer for the GL movie in the theaters when I took my daughter to see the new Harry Potter.

The movie looks really good to me!

Me like the trailer too!

Green Lanterns says "Welcome to the club"

showcasecovblack-1.jpg

Very unique item. :applause: I've been contemplating a while back for the one that's been on Ebay but didn't snatch it. doh! As I re-called, it didn't have the full reprint of SC22 right?

Correct. The GL story is the "Menace of the Runaway Missile" . No "SOS Green Lantern", no "Flaming Spear".

It was just awful back in the day. What was the average punter to make of this new character "Green Lantern"? Just springs into existence, fully formed with no back story whatsoever.

Very confusing.

Correct. The GL story is the "Menace of the Runaway Missile" . No "SOS Green Lantern", no "Flaming Spear".

It was just awful back in the day. What was the average punter to make of this new character "Green Lantern"? Just springs into existence, fully formed with no back story whatsoever.

Very confusing.

Well...............at least it does not have a giant puppet on the cover. lol

Very confusing.

Well...............at least it does not have a giant puppet on the cover. lol

Puppet hm Oh...that darn 7.0 puppets. lol

Did anyone here snag the Showcase #22 the seller graded as VG/FN (looked a bit weaker) on Comic Connect on the weekend? The ask price was $1500, and in the time they took in getting back to me re: resto (it was apparently unrestored) it sold. :cry:

Did anyone here snag the Showcase #22 the seller graded as VG/FN (looked a bit weaker) on Comic Connect on the weekend? The ask price was $1500, and in the time they took in getting back to me re: resto (it was apparently unrestored) it sold. :cry:

No, I didn't snag it. That was an interesting copy and priced right. I was a bit worried it may be restored (micro trimmed). I personally think it would probably grade around a 4.0-4.5, (shrug)

No, I didn't snag it. That was an interesting copy and priced right. I was a bit worried it may be restored (micro trimmed). I personally think it would probably grade around a 4.0-4.5, (shrug)

I had it pegged as a 4.0, possibly a bit lower depending on the back cover, but the Comic Connect customer service got back to me and said that the book was unrestored. I figured that if I could get it with an offer in the $1200 - $1300 range it would have been worth it.

Showcase #22 Beautiful CANVAS artwork 12"x18"

http://cgi.ebay.com/Showcase-22-Beautiful-CANVAS-artwork-12-x18-/300492149665?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f6ba53a1

Anyone ordered one of these? Wondering if the colours are fairly bright. Disclosure: I'm not affiliated with Cedar Chest Comics in any way, but I did buy a reading copy of JIM 89 from them a few years back. Good service and graded accurately which was a treat for an ebayer seller. Also, I have yet to scan my copy of Showcase 22 and submit it here, so I'm a member in hiding. It's a high grade pedigree copy but not CGC'd. Any pedigree members here? (I don't mean "from the collection of...".

Mohawk Valley. Maybe soon, neighbour. 23 & 24 also, if that's OK(?) I thought about posting them on 'Please Grade My..." but I think a few of you

guys would be more interested and just as capable. Frankly, I'm trying to develop a thick skin before I show my 'babies' who are 15 now: where did the time go? I know opinions on grading can be night and day.

Ryan, thanks for starting this thread. Lots of fun and info reading. And thanks to Rich for his tremendous work here and obvious love of 22.