• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VALPARAISO SPIDEY 55 9.8................SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

272 posts in this topic

16.5K :o

And I thought the 69 9.8 that went for 10K was jaw-dropping.

ASM collectors really don't around. :sumo:

cant believe that the 1st 9.8

didnt know that book was so tough in 9.8

Yep. 55 is one of the tougher books of the era, even at the 9.4/9.6 level. Nice copies don't come around as often as some of the surrounding issues.

BTW, does anyone know why Doug's ASM run is no longer in the registry? Did he sell?

didnt doug sell most of these off a few years ago? he had the PC run mainly, no?

I can't remember exactly, but that sounds right. From what I recall, his run consisted of a ton of PC copies, and Brulato's has a ton of Curators.

I would imagine it still is. Looks like a big spine tick right in the middle of Ock's glasses.

Anyone else think it's strange that all of these books for which a 9.8 was previously so hard to find are all of a sudden popping up?

Question:

Anyone else think it's strange that all of these books for which a 9.8 was previously so hard to find are all of a sudden popping up?

Answer:

Looks like a big spine tick right in the middle of Ock's glasses.

If pressed, I may be able to come up with a second explanation.

I would imagine it still is. Looks like a big spine tick right in the middle of Ock's glasses.

Yeah, what the hell is up with all these 9.8s popping up with spine tics. That is NOT good for the hobby. If people start to doubt the slabbing process, that'll be chaos for the hobby.

Yeah, what the hell is up with all these 9.8s popping up with spine tics. That is NOT good for the hobby. If people start to doubt the slabbing process, that'll be chaos for the hobby.

No, it would only be chaos for those who pay massive multiples for top census books.

Dude, if that one spine tick is the only flaw there is no problem with that book being a 9.8.

It's been that way for as long as CGC has been around.

(shrug)

Dude, if that one spine tick is the only flaw there is no problem with that book being a 9.8.

(shrug)

(thumbs u

(shrug)

Really? It's a biggie.

(and I didn't mention the two around the top staple because they might not be spine ticks, but they sure look like it)

(shrug)

(thumbs u

Ditto.

You comic collectors are a fickle lot. :screwy:

(shrug)

Really? It's a biggie.

(and I didn't mention the two around the top staple because they might not be spine ticks, but they sure look like it)

Well I had a Silver Age ASM come back a 9.8 with a similar spine stress almost 5 years ago. I honestly don't think anything is out of the norm for this book. Again, it's hard to grade from a scan as opposed to real life 'cause scans can make things look worse than they really are. Maybe someone can call for notes tomorrow.

(shrug)

R

(shrug)

Really? It's a biggie.

Well I had a Silver Age ASM come back a 9.8 with a similar spine stress almost 5 years ago. I honestly don't think anything is out of the norm for this book. Again, it's hard to grade from a scan as opposed to real life 'cause scans can make things look worse than they really are. Maybe someone can call for notes tomorrow.

(shrug)

R

Wow. I'd be pretty pissed if I got a 9.8 book and I could see much of anything on it.

(shrug)

Really? It's a biggie.

(shrug)

R

Wow. I'd be pretty pissed if I got a 9.8 book and I could see much of anything on it.

I understand what Roy is saying....and agree that it is how CGC sees the book.....HOWEVER, I see buttock's point too. For 16.5 k.....that book from 1967 better make me breakfast in the morning. Also, is it just me...or does that right edge look choppy? I would just expect a cleaner looking book for this amount of money. Is the right edge from the top to about a third down just a trick to my eyes?

Is the right edge from the top to about a third down just a trick to my eyes?

Nope, no trick of the eyes. It's uneven, a production defect from dull cutting blades. I have a lot of SA Marvels with that same flaw. CGC doesn't count off for it.

Is the right edge from the top to about a third down just a trick to my eyes?

Nope, no trick of the eyes. It's uneven, a production defect from dull cutting blades. I have a lot of SA Marvels with that same flaw. CGC doesn't count off for it.

That is what I was thinking it was from.....the dull blades that caused so much early Marvel chipping.....for some reason I was thinking this occurred on the earlier Marvels....hence my mention of the book's year of production. I was thinking that this book was later than when all of the trimming defects were taking place. I admit that my Silver era Marvel knowledge is not as sharp as it could be. When did Marvel finally rectify this situation (what year?)