• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

charles martignette collection

16 posts in this topic

so the family sold to a group of investors who are consigning it to heritage. Nice. Sounds like they left millions on the table if they sold cheap enough to make it worth somebody else's while to buy it up and consign :doh: After all if you are the group of investors you don't write that check and take the risk unless you are getting a great return. When all they had to do was just call heritage themselves :doh: :doh: :doh:

I didn't follow the auction closely except for the Gil Elvgrens which, by and large, bounced back from the fire sale of the March auction and sold for very high prices. Heritage promoted the hell out of this auction and I expected a good showing, but this was above and beyond. I dropped out of the bidding in the low-$100Ks on one of them, fully expecting to be the runner-up, only to see it soar past $200K. :screwy:

I stated in another thread that a strong showing in this auction would not convince me of the true strength of the Elvgren market. It will be interesting to see how the next few auctions go - my bet is that the prices on the last Elvgrens to be sold from this collection will not be as high as the prices we see in the early auctions featuring pieces from the estate. As much as I love Elvgren, I think there is too much downside risk when you get well into the 6-figures; just look at how fast prices tanked between the June 2008 and March 2009 auctions. Given how much fine art prices have plunged in the past 2 years, I'd much rather spend $200K for something that was stickered at $350-$400K in 2007 vs paying $200K for an Elvgren that would have sold for $50K-$75K two years ago. (shrug)

I didn't follow the auction closely except for the Gil Elvgrens which, by and large, bounced back from the fire sale of the March auction and sold for very high prices. Heritage promoted the hell out of this auction and I expected a good showing, but this was above and beyond. I dropped out of the bidding in the low-$100Ks on one of them, fully expecting to be the runner-up, only to see it soar past $200K. :screwy:

I stated in another thread that a strong showing in this auction would not convince me of the true strength of the Elvgren market. It will be interesting to see how the next few auctions go - my bet is that the prices on the last Elvgrens to be sold from this collection will not be as high as the prices we see in the early auctions featuring pieces from the estate. As much as I love Elvgren, I think there is too much downside risk when you get well into the 6-figures; just look at how fast prices tanked between the June 2008 and March 2009 auctions. Given how much fine art prices have plunged in the past 2 years, I'd much rather spend $200K for something that was stickered at $350-$400K in 2007 vs paying $200K for an Elvgren that would have sold for $50K-$75K two years ago. (shrug)

sorry to hear you got outbid... I really liked both 'right on target' and 'upsetting upset'... I'll have to check out the realized prices. sounds like the 30 to 40k estimates held up :insane:

ah you must have been bidding on snap judgement. also very nice.

speaking of right on target, (http://fineart.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7010&Lot_No=87122&src=pr ), what's up with the 2nd ring of the bullseye? Looks to me like elvgren screwed up? The greys on the top vs bottom don't match and note its *not* because of shadow effects...

speaking of right on target, (http://fineart.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7010&Lot_No=87122&src=pr ), what's up with the 2nd ring of the bullseye? Looks to me like elvgren screwed up? The greys on the top vs bottom don't match and note its *not* because of shadow effects...

You may be the only guy in the world who looks at that painting and thinks about the mismatched colors of the bullseye. :baiting:

so the family sold to a group of investors who are consigning it to heritage. Nice. Sounds like they left millions on the table if they sold cheap enough to make it worth somebody else's while to buy it up and consign :doh: After all if you are the group of investors you don't write that check and take the risk unless you are getting a great return. When all they had to do was just call heritage themselves :doh: :doh: :doh: [/quote

I wonder if the group of investors was HERITAGE ?

You may be the only guy in the world who looks at that painting and thinks about the mismatched colors of the bullseye. :baiting:

Can't help it if I have refined tastes, you pigs! lol

Seriously though it wasn't the first thing I looked at either, but as I looked more at the painting I noticed it, and if I was buying at that price level something like that would turn me off completely. I mean it really is kind of an elementary mistake, much as I love elvgren, and if I was paying 100k+ per painting, an elementary mistake is not what I would want to see.

Are the buyers of the 200k plus Elvgrens comic art collectors or are they a different segment of the collecting community?

Probably a different segment, with a little bit of crossover? Gene here has one (or more, I don't know) and he's mainly a comic art guy... but I suspect there are plenty of pinup collectors (like Martignette himself, I guess) that don't collect comic OA.

...also, if I search CAF for "elvgren" I get only a handful of originals.... so probably mostly a different segment, but I am just guessing here.

I didn't follow the auction closely except for the Gil Elvgrens which, by and large, bounced back from the fire sale of the March auction and sold for very high prices. Heritage promoted the hell out of this auction and I expected a good showing, but this was above and beyond.

Just how comfortable are we in believing "sold" items at Heritage are actually SOLD? I had my doubts to begin with. If Heritage actually is the investor that bought the art, my doubts are even greater. They have a couple of years worth of art to auction off so it's not like they have no interest in manipulating price perceptions.

I know nothing about it, just asking if I'm the only one with doubts.

Ruben

http://www.collectingfool.com