• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sorry for being stupid, but what makes a comic valueable?

353 posts in this topic

I wish more forum members would apologize for being stupid.

hm

82643.jpg

That's not me being stupid, that's me being AWESOME! :sumo:

I am now owed an apology! :slapfight:

Hey, I think it's awesome too. Just funnin'

(thumbs u

It's more awesome than this.

:eek:

Thor.jpg

You just have to believe that woman behind you went home and blogged on her Christian Women Who Love American Idol message board about how crazy you looked.

I will give you credit for wearing that thing and having your pic taken :baiting:

Mine took less courage than Roy's did...he did it in public, I did it at home in front of a webcam. And...where's the credit for my action-packed battle pose? :acclaim: You can't feel the electromagnetic forces radiating from my prominently-displayed hand in the foreground? :whatev: I think was trying to strike the same expressive pose that Magneto does when firing magnetic beams in the Capcom fighting games he appears in.

I will give you credit for wearing that thing and having your pic taken :baiting:

Mine took less courage than Roy's did...he did it in public, I did it at home in front of a webcam. And...where's the credit for my action-packed battle pose? :acclaim: You can't feel the electromagnetic forces radiating from my prominently-displayed hand in the foreground? :whatev: I think was trying to strike the same expressive pose that Magneto does when firing magnetic beams in the Capcom fighting games he appears in.

I had plenty of liquid courage running through my veins at that point. Notice the cup of fine mead poised in front of me.

:cloud9:

I had plenty of liquid courage running through my veins at that point. Notice the bouncy Chardonnay with hints of pear and grapefruit and a taut mineral finish poised in front of me.

Fixed that for you.

Why is gold valuable? It's uses are pretty limited, outside of decoration.

Actually gold is one of the most useful metals as it is one of the best conductors of electricity AND it never corrodes AND it can be flattened so much that is it only a few atoms thick.

And yes it makes for good decoration.

Actually gold is one of the most useful metals as it is one of the best conductors of electricity AND it never corrodes AND it can be flattened so much that is it only a few atoms thick.

You press your gold too? (tsk)

You press your gold too? (tsk)

doh!

Comics only have value due to perceived supply and demand. Unfortunately, a paper comic has very little intrinsic value except as fire-starter. :o Now where did I put my collection of nm pogs?

Pretty much.

A lot of what we buy doesn't really have much use in the grand scheme of things. Whether it is comics, cards, toys, coins, fine art (paintings, sculptures, pottery) and whatever else humanity values for its perceived value rather than useful value. Why is gold valuable? It's uses are pretty limited, outside of decoration.

Gold has many unique properties, which make it extremely useful in industry and in particular electronics. Comics, on the other hand, are useful for reading and hoarding in long-boxes for bragging rights for nerds :P

I don't know. Up until the past few decades the only use gold had was decoration.

It's only since the advent of electronics that this usefulness for gold has been discovered.

This is simply not true.

Gold is the most malleable and ductile of metals in existence. A single ounce of gold can be beaten into a sheet covering over 9 square metres and 0.000018 cm thick without breaking or cracking. Because gold is very corrosion resistant, that made it an excellent material to leaf over less stable materials like wood and stone to protect them from corrosion and the elements. It wasn't applied simply because it was "pretty."

An ounce of gold can also be drawn into a wire 50 MILES long, making it useful for intricate design work.

Gold has been used in dentistry as long as dentistry has been practiced, because it does not rust and it does not dissolve in the mouth.

Gold is also an excellent medium for storing wealth, which has been it's most important function for much of human history (though some will claim it's "jewelry", the reality is, jewelry is just a fancy means of storing wealth that is aesthetically pleasing.)

I'd say gold is very much like comics in that it only has value that people put into it. Gold has been considered a form of currency for decades only because people continue to agree to accept it as such.

doh!

Gold has been accepted currency for EONS.

EVERYTHING has or does not have value based solely on what value human beings assign to it. Gold has value because of its properties. Its properties make human beings desire it. Desire creates value. Basic economics.

You're betraying a woeful misunderstanding of the concept of "intrinsic value."

I had plenty of liquid courage running through my veins at that point. Notice the bouncy Chardonnay with hints of pear and grapefruit and a taut mineral finish poised in front of me.

Fixed that for you.

Mmm....that sounds pretty good!

Getting back to the OP's question;

Scarcity

Grade

Desirability

All three in some cases, two in others, but at least one needs must be met.

Oh, and I agree with COI's first post in this thread

Comics only have value due to perceived supply and demand. Unfortunately, a paper comic has very little intrinsic value except as fire-starter. :o Now where did I put my collection of nm pogs?

Pretty much.

A lot of what we buy doesn't really have much use in the grand scheme of things. Whether it is comics, cards, toys, coins, fine art (paintings, sculptures, pottery) and whatever else humanity values for its perceived value rather than useful value. Why is gold valuable? It's uses are pretty limited, outside of decoration.

Gold has many unique properties, which make it extremely useful in industry and in particular electronics. Comics, on the other hand, are useful for reading and hoarding in long-boxes for bragging rights for nerds :P

I don't know. Up until the past few decades the only use gold had was decoration.

It's only since the advent of electronics that this usefulness for gold has been discovered.

This is simply not true.

Gold is the most malleable and ductile of metals in existence. A single ounce of gold can be beaten into a sheet covering over 9 square metres and 0.000018 cm thick without breaking or cracking. Because gold is very corrosion resistant, that made it an excellent material to leaf over less stable materials like wood and stone to protect them from corrosion and the elements. It wasn't applied simply because it was "pretty."

An ounce of gold can also be drawn into a wire 50 MILES long, making it useful for intricate design work.

Gold has been used in dentistry as long as dentistry has been practiced, because it does not rust and it does not dissolve in the mouth.

Gold is also an excellent medium for storing wealth, which has been it's most important function for much of human history (though some will claim it's "jewelry", the reality is, jewelry is just a fancy means of storing wealth that is aesthetically pleasing.)

I'd say gold is very much like comics in that it only has value that people put into it. Gold has been considered a form of currency for decades only because people continue to agree to accept it as such.

doh!

Gold has been accepted currency for EONS.

EVERYTHING has or does not have value based solely on what value human beings assign to it. Gold has value because of its properties. Its properties make human beings desire it. Desire creates value. Basic economics.

You're betraying a woeful misunderstanding of the concept of "intrinsic value."

I know that gold has been an accepted currency for EONS.

Gold's value is the main reason that it has only been used by the rich up until recent times.

I'm well aware of it's uses in making dishes, inlays, design work etc. Gold may have been used for many things but it was not the average peasant that had his intricate design work done with gold. the average peasant did without dentistry because it's cheaper to live without a tooth than with a gold one.

It has always been used by the wealthy.

I still maintain that Gold's primary purpose has been to either obtain or store wealth and I still maintain that it's only in recent times that the average person can use gold in their every day lives (ie electronics, dentistry etc).

Don't get me wrong..."I LOVE GOLD!" but I believe it's usage has been limited to the elite until recent technology has made it more readily available.

R.

I know that gold has been an accepted currency for EONS.

Gold's value is the main reason that it has only been used by the rich up until recent times.

I'm well aware of it's uses in making dishes, inlays, design work etc. Gold may have been used for many things but it was not the average peasant that had his intricate design work done with gold. the average peasant did without dentistry because it's cheaper to live without a tooth than with a gold one.

It has always been used by the wealthy.

I still maintain that Gold's primary purpose has been to either obtain or store wealth and I still maintain that it's only in recent times that the average person can use gold in their every day lives (ie electronics, dentistry etc).

Don't get me wrong..."I LOVE GOLD!" but I believe it's usage has been limited to the elite until recent technology has made it more readily available.

R.

I point you to your original statement:

There was nothing in that statement that had to do with who used or had access to gold.

The argument was not "who had access to it" but rather "did it have uses beyond "decoration."

The answer to that, of course, is a resounding yes, regardless of who was doing the "using."

Who it was used by and available to has no bearing on the discussion at this time. I disputed only your original claim.

(thumbs u

Survey SAYS: X!

The argument was not "who had access to it" but rather "did it have uses beyond "decoration."

The answer to that, of course, is a resounding yes, regardless of who was doing the "using."

Who it was used by and available to has no bearing on the discussion at this time.

(thumbs u

I think the discussion was based on usefullness, right?

What I'm trying to say is that having lots of gold to decorate your enormous home is not exactly useful, it's a luxury....and on a relatively small scale at that, due to it's cost.

Gold is soft and therefore not good for strength so it can't be used in any stuctural applications like buildings, weapons, vehicles, etc. Now iron is useful.

Gold's usefulness has almost always been (until recent years) ornamentation, decoration and wealth. Not exactly useful except to the same people who collect 9.8 ASM's and if 9.8 Spideys are a mesure of usefullness well then you might be right.

hm