• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sorry for being stupid, but what makes a comic valueable?

353 posts in this topic

Look at Action Comics #1 the stories in there are not that great, yet it commands big bucks! (so what if it's the first appearance of superman) Same for Hulk #181 the first app of wolverine and a raw vf-nm is about a thousand bucks! and wolvie looked more like a cat then a wolverine. & why would I (if I had the money) spend almost $400 on a unknown (outside of the comic community) superhero book Miracleman #15 cgc'd 9.8? what makes us want to spend big money on a few pages of paper? ( Investment? Love of the charactor? wanting something no one else has?)Now I don't mean to sound better then anyone, I mean I'm going to be collecting comics till I die, but I'm just confusing myself here. And I guess the same could be said about Cards & Cars & Coins.

Look at Action Comics #1 the stories in there are not that great, yet it commands big bucks! (so what if it's the first appearance of superman) Same for Hulk #181 the first app of wolverine and a raw vf-nm is about a thousand bucks! and wolvie looked more like a cat then a wolverine. & why would I (if I had the money) spend almost $400 on a unknown (outside of the comic community) superhero book Miracleman #15 cgc'd 9.8? what makes us want to spend big money on a few pages of paper? ( Investment? Love of the charactor? wanting something no one else has?)Now I don't mean to sound better then anyone, I mean I'm going to be collecting comics till I die, but I'm just confusing myself here. And I guess the same could be said about Cards & Cars & Coins.

What is your list of the best books, regardless of current market value?

Comics only have value due to perceived supply and demand. Unfortunately, a paper comic has very little intrinsic value except as fire-starter. :o Now where did I put my collection of nm pogs?

Do you have any Alf pogs...?

How about a Steve Allen pog....?

:wishluck:

Comics only have value due to perceived supply and demand. Unfortunately, a paper comic has very little intrinsic value except as fire-starter. :o Now where did I put my collection of nm pogs?

"I traded your soul for Alf pogs. Remember Alf? He's back. In pog form."

alfpogs.jpg

"I traded your soul for Alf pogs. Remember Alf? He's back. In pog form."

alfpogs.jpg

I love it when somebody gets a reference.... :luhv:

Pretty much.

A lot of what we buy doesn't really have much use in the grand scheme of things. Whether it is comics, cards, toys, coins, fine art (paintings, sculptures, pottery) and whatever else humanity values for its perceived value rather than useful value. Why is gold valuable? It's uses are pretty limited, outside of decoration.

Kids have been buying/selling/trading comics since comics were first in print. That activity likely followed many people into adulthood. As the supply of the books dwindled, they were willing to spend greater amounts of money to obtain the books they liked. Comics haven't always been worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. I think comic collecting as an industry has probably been around for about 40 years, and since the days of those slightly above cover price premiums, things have snowballed. Years of industry growth combined with years of lowered supply.

Why is gold valuable? It's uses are pretty limited, outside of decoration.

:screwy:

Gold is one of the most useful metals on the planet.

Sho' 'nuff, I found this on Google:

"Gold’s superior electrical conductivity, malleability, and resistance to corrosion have made it vital to the manufacture of components used in a wide range of electronic products and equipment, including computers, telephones, cellular phones, and home appliances.

Gold has extraordinarily high reflective powers that are relied upon in the shielding that protects spacecrafts and satellites from solar radiation and in industrial and medical lasers that use gold-coated reflectors to focus light energy. And because gold is biologically inactive, it has become a vital tool for medical research and is even used in the direct treatment of arthritis and other intractable diseases."

"Gold’s superior electrical conductivity, malleability, and resistance to corrosion have made it vital to the manufacture of components used in a wide range of electronic products and equipment, including computers, telephones, cellular phones, and home appliances.

Gold has extraordinarily high reflective powers that are relied upon in the shielding that protects spacecrafts and satellites from solar radiation and in industrial and medical lasers that use gold-coated reflectors to focus light energy. And because gold is biologically inactive, it has become a vital tool for medical research and is even used in the direct treatment of arthritis and other intractable diseases."

But other than that, it's pretty useless. :whatev:

That's right. :gossip:

"Golds superior electrical conductivity, malleability, and resistance to corrosion have made it vital to the manufacture of components used in a wide range of electronic products and equipment, including computers, telephones, cellular phones, and home appliances.

lol

Let's not forget "store of wealth". ;)

"Golds superior electrical conductivity, malleability, and resistance to corrosion have made it vital to the manufacture of components used in a wide range of electronic products and equipment, including computers, telephones, cellular phones, and home appliances.

That's right. :gossip:

But...Doesn't it seem odd that its value comes primarily from its use in jewellery.

No one sells a computer by stating it contains gold!

Or, sells a gold ring by advertising "As used in the space shuttle"!

But...Doesn't it seem odd that its value comes primarily from its use in jewellery.

No one sells a computer by stating it contains gold!

Or, sells a gold ring by advertising "As used in the space shuttle"!

Gold's value stems from its usefulness, durability, and beauty.

It is used in jewelry BECAUSE of those things.

It has value BECAUSE of those things.

Gold's value does not come primarily from its use in jewelry. Rather, it is used in jewelry because of it's value (utility, durability, beauty, from which springs MONETARY value.)

And no, gold is not the PRIMARY source of value for a computer...it is merely a component.

If silver had the same...or better...properties as gold, it would be valued as highly as gold. Unfortunately, it does not share those properties, and thus is not valued as highly.

Uncle Scrooge uses gold to fill up his vault and swims in it. Richie rich has loads of stuff made out of gold..it's mucho useful multi purposed..Some comics I have in long boxes I used as a coffee table...some Marvel New Universe I shred and use for cat box filler..lot's of uses mean extra value...