• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sorry for being stupid, but what makes a comic valueable?

353 posts in this topic

Survey SAYS: X!

The argument was not "who had access to it" but rather "did it have uses beyond "decoration."

The answer to that, of course, is a resounding yes, regardless of who was doing the "using."

Who it was used by and available to has no bearing on the discussion at this time.

(thumbs u

I think the discussion was based on usefullness, right?

What I'm trying to say is that having lots of gold to decorate your enormous home is not exactly useful, it's a luxury....and on a relatively small scale at that, due to it's cost.

Gold is soft and therefore not good for strength so it can't be used in any stuctural applications like buildings, weapons, vehicles, etc. Now iron is useful.

Gold's usefulness has almost always been (until recent years) ornamentation, decoration and wealth. Not exactly useful except to the same people who collect 9.8 ASM's and if 9.8 Spideys are a mesure of usefullness well then you might be right.

hm

You are subtley but persistently trying to change the discussion...which is ok, but I'm aware you're doing it. ;)

When an artist puts gold leaf on the frame of a painting he has painted in 1437, he is protecting that frame from rot.

When the church puts gold leaf on the dome of its cathedral in 1087, they are protecting that dome from degradation.

When a Bourgeois (middle class, NOT "wealthy") merchant in 829 stores his gold in his caravan, he is protecting his finances.

Even still...just because gold has traditionally been accessible only to the wealthy (which isn't really even true), that doesn't change its properties nor its usefulness beyond mere "decoration" throughout human history.

What I'm trying to say is that having lots of gold to decorate your enormous home is not exactly useful, it's a luxury....and on a relatively small scale at that, due to it's cost.

Gold is soft and therefore not good for strength so it can't be used in any stuctural applications like buildings, weapons, vehicles, etc. Now iron is useful.

Gold's usefulness has almost always been (until recent years) ornamentation, decoration and wealth. Not exactly useful except to the same people who collect 9.8 ASM's and if 9.8 Spideys are a mesure of usefullness well then you might be right.

hm

It may not be used for structural applications but it is used in weapons and vehicles quite abit.

hm

It may not be used for structural applications but it is used in weapons and vehicles quite abit.

I was just going to say the same. Not to derail the discussion, but the lack of hardness has benefits in malleability and flexibility in precision microelectronic applications requiring conductivity and good resistance to corrosion. Both properties lacking in iron based materials. As nanotechnology matures as a field, I would expect to see gold demand increase in that area, due to some of the aforementioned properties.

Regarding what makes a comic valuable? I'd argue there is a heck of a lot of psychology (OCD/Pavlov response) involved, and those with deep pockets tend to be a bit dysfunctional to begin with; so a good match all in all.

Look at diamonds as jewelry. After many years of advertising, they are viewed as 'priceless.' Does anyone really think they can spot half of the designated flaws and quality by eye? Nope. It's all about perception and the 'knowing' of feeling special, because you shelled out a large portion of your net worth for her. Once again, a psychological thing. From a practical viewpoint, it made a heck of a lot more sense when they traded horses or food for a marriage back in tribal communities. :whistle:

hm

You are subtley but persistently trying to change the discussion...which is ok, but I'm aware you're doing it. ;)

When an artist puts gold leaf on the frame of a painting he has painted in 1437, he is protecting that frame from rot.

When the church puts gold leaf on the dome of its cathedral in 1087, they are protecting that dome from degradation.

When a Bourgeois (middle class, NOT "wealthy") merchant in 829 stores his gold in his caravan, he is protecting his finances.

Even still...just because gold has traditionally been accessible only to the wealthy (which isn't really even true), that doesn't change its properties nor its usefulness beyond mere "decoration" throughout human history.

It wasn't my intention to change the subject.

We're discussing value.

Gold is valuable.

Why is it valuable?

Because we assign it that value.

As Warren Buffet said...we hire people to find it, hire people to dig it out of the ground, then we bury it back in the ground and hire people to guard it.

This is the universal and traditional role of gold.

I understand it has other applications but they are secondary IMO.

hm

I was just going to say the same. Not to derail the discussion, but the lack of hardness has benefits in malleability and flexibility in precision microelectronic applications requiring conductivity and good resistance to corrosion. Both properties lacking in iron based materials. As nanotechnology matures as a field, I would expect to see gold demand increase in that area, due to some of the aforementioned properties.

Regarding what makes a comic valuable? I'd argue there is a heck of a lot of psychology (OCD/Pavlov response) involved, and those with deep pockets tend to be a bit dysfunctional to begin with; so a good match all in all.

Look at diamonds as jewelry. After many years of advertising, they are viewed as 'priceless.' Does anyone really think they can spot half of the designated flaws and quality by eye? Nope. It's all about perception and the 'knowing' of feeling special, because you shelled out a large portion of your net worth for her. Once again, a psychological thing.

It's only used in weapons in recent times, maybe the past few decades.

I was discussing the historical value of gold on a grand scale.

hm

Look at diamonds as jewelry. After many years of advertising, they are viewed as 'priceless.' Does anyone really think they can spot half of the designated flaws and quality by eye? Nope. It's all about perception and the 'knowing' of feeling special, because you shelled out a large portion of your net worth for her. Once again, a psychological thing.

What about gold daggers, spear heads, arrow heads, shields, swords and the list goes on :P

Don't get me wrong..."I LOVE GOLD!" but I believe it's usage has been limited to the elite until recent technology has made it more readily available.

Kinda like this guy:

tutankhamun-golden-mask.jpg

hm

What about gold daggers, spear heads, arrow heads, shields, swords and the list goes on :P

Well, since gold is so soft I'm not sure how useful it would have been. I mean your sword would have bent on initial impact.

I'm also pretty sure the average person couldn't afford to go through quivers full of gold arrows in battle. Talk about throwing away money.

Gold's usefullness in weapons is primarily in electronics is it not?

Think about it.

doh!

R.

hm

Well, since gold is so soft I'm not sure how useful it would have been. I mean your sword would have bent on initial impact.

I'm also pretty sure the average person couldn't afford to go through quivers full of gold arrows in battle. Talk about throwing away money.

Think about it.

doh!

R.

Dude, it is not clay. It is not that soft. As metals go, it is soft. But if you shoot me with an arrow that has a gold head, it will penetrate my body. Gold is not the consistency of fricking Silly Putty.

hm

Think about it.

doh!

R.

You are correct it is in electronics for the most part along with some heat applications be it insulation or protection.

As for weapons depending on what they mixed it with would make it how hard it possibly could be but was most likely just for ornamental or sacraficial purposes :)

Dude, it is not clay. It is not that soft. As metals go, it is soft. But if you shoot me with an arrow that has a gold head, it will penetrate my body. Gold is not the consistency of fricking Silly Putty.

Right.

So a gold sword would hold up in battle against a well tempered iron sword?

So it would be cost effective to have an arsenal of gold swords, arrows and spears?

I know how soft gold is. If any weapon was made out of gold, I'm pretty sure it would be ornamental and not really meant for battle.

We've digressed from why comics are valuable to why gold is valuable. It was stated that gold is very useful.

Very useful is relative.

Relative to other metals, gold has not been very useful for practical applications through out history unless you count ornamentation as useful.

Anyhow, I'm done.

I really don't care much. Just discussing for the sake of having an open forum discussion.

Carry on.

:foryou:

The value of gold is kind of an interesting argument. Does anyone think sand has any intrinsic value? Well, it is used in just about every single state of the art electronic device today. One man's trash is another's treasure, I suppose.

Right.

So a gold sword would hold up in battle against a well tempered iron sword?

So it would be cost effective to have an arsenal of gold swords, arrows and spears?

I know how soft gold is. If any weapon was made out of gold, I'm pretty sure it would be ornamental and not really meant for battle.

We've digressed from why comics are valuable to why gold is valuable. It was stated that gold is very useful.

Very useful is relative.

Relative to other metals, gold has not been very useful for practical applications through out history unless you count ornamentation as useful.

Anyhow, I'm done.

I really don't care much. Just discussing for the sake of having an open forum discussion.

Carry on.

:foryou:

Well, since gold is so soft I'm not sure how useful it would have been.

That is what you actually said. I'm saying it would be useful as hell. You could kill me with a sling shot and gold pellets, a gold knife, gold arrows, a gold club.

hm

Look at diamonds as jewelry. After many years of advertising, they are viewed as 'priceless.' Does anyone really think they can spot half of the designated flaws and quality by eye? Nope. It's all about perception and the 'knowing' of feeling special, because you shelled out a large portion of your net worth for her. Once again, a psychological thing. From a practical viewpoint, it made a heck of a lot more sense when they traded horses or food for a marriage back in tribal communities. :whistle:

Ugh.

Diamonds are such trash. They are one of the most common gems pulled out of the earth. Their prices are kept high because so few people control so much of it.

But come on...it's CARBON. Everything living on earth...including us...is made of carbon.

Now, you want to talk about rare gems? Alexandrite. Tanzanite. Now THOSE are rare. :)

What's this tread about anyways?

Its about 50 posts too long! :makepoint: