• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Edgar Church Rolling Over in Grave,Mile High copy of Tally-Ho Comics Desecrated?

168 posts in this topic

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/steve_duin/index.ssf/2009/07/edgar_church_is_rolling_over_i.html

large_tally.jpg

Edgar Church Is Rolling Over in His Grave

by Steve Duin, The Oregonian

Wednesday July 01, 2009, 8:35 AM

The Mile High copy of Tally-Ho Comics just popped up on eBay. As part of CGC's "Signature Series," it is marred -- and I do mean desecrated -- by Frank Frazetta's signature on the cover.

his is the second Mile High I've seen similarly shanghaied by the laughable notion that the "first professional work" of an artist inside the book is more significant than the fact that the comic was once part of Edgar Church's collection; ComicLink recently touted the Wings #56 Mile High with Gene Colan's signature in gold ink.

I don't know a single Golden Age collector who believes the value of a comic is enhanced by the autograph of the artist. I wonder how many more Mile Highs will be trashed before these dealers figure that out

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/steve_duin/index.ssf/2009/07/edgar_church_is_rolling_over_i.html

large_tally.jpg

The Mile High copy of Tally-Ho Comics just popped up on eBay. As part of CGC's "Signature Series," it is marred -- and I do mean desecrated -- by Frank Frazetta's signature on the cover.

his is the second Mile High I've seen similarly shanghaied by the laughable notion that the "first professional work" of an artist inside the book is more significant than the fact that the comic was once part of Edgar Church's collection; ComicLink recently touted the Wings #56 Mile High with Gene Colan's signature in gold ink.

I don't know a single Golden Age collector who believes the value of a comic is enhanced by the autograph of the artist. I wonder how many more Mile Highs will be trashed before these dealers figure that out

...and here i thought that if i bought it... i could do what i wanted with it :fear:

large_tally.jpg

...and here i thought that if i bought it... i could do what i wanted with it :fear:

Exactly :)

I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with a book like this being signed by Frazetta :cloud9:

large_tally.jpg

I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with a book like this being signed by Frazetta :cloud9:

(thumbs u

That book has been on eBay for a few weeks now. It saddens me deeply every time I see it. So short-sighted, to have a book from the Edgar Church collection forever and irreversably marred. What a terrible decision, made by someone who is merely a temporary custodian of the book.

Ah well, I suppose there are many other things in life more worthy of getting upset about.

large_tally.jpg

(thumbs u

(thumbs u (thumbs u :takeit:

That book has been on eBay for a few weeks now. It saddens me deeply every time I see it. So short-sighted, to have a book from the Edgar Church collection forever and irreversably marred. What a terrible decision, made by someone who is merely a temporary custodian of the book.

Ah well, I suppose there are many other things in life more worthy of getting upset about.

What do you mean temporary custodian?

The person owns it and can do what he/she wants!

Applying that way of thinking it can be argued we never really own anything and should not do what we want as we are just temporary custodians!

There are other things more worthy of getting upset over.

However, to me, Frank Frazetta is a thousand times more important to our hobby, the art world, and to pop culture in general than Edgar Church. The fact that the book was in his collection is a means of proving provenance only, it's not the stigmata to be revered and bowed down before for cripes sake. In the case of a Tally Ho #1 the fact that it's Frazetta's first work and that it was was Church's collection are the only 2 selling points. This is not a key book by anyone's standard definition.

If a choice comes up to place a legend's name on a book like this (please remember it's a Tally Ho, not an Action 1, not a Tec 27) I don't really have much of a problem with it. To me, I look at what book is getting signed and not the pedigree. A Tally Ho #1 is a pretty meaningless book in the Church ped. Given the chance to have Frank sign his first work I would take it.

If this were a book of more significance, like the aforementioned Action #1 or Tec #27, I would not make the same decision.

Also, I don't drink the same kool-aid on the "custodian of the book" thing. I'm not a curator, I'm a collector....I live in a split level SFH, not a commune....I own what I own until I don't own it anymore. As a collector we all have a vested interest in the preservation of the things we collect, but that does not equate to an absolute duty to do the same. People are free to buy and care for their property in any way they see fit. I would never deem myself in a position to put a book that was in Church's collection decades ago over someone's current fee simple ownership rights.

At least those are my thoughts before I have my morning coffee.

C

At least he didn't have Stan Lee sign it. :shrug:

lol

But under the idea that it's the owner's to do with as he pleases, the owner could have Stan sign it. Why not just get a non-pedigree and get it signed instead?

Just like I don't think pedigrees should be pressed, I also don't think they should be SS'd.

Nobody is saying you can't. You can burn it if you own it. It's yours. Doesn't make it right.

I wonder if Edgar Church would even want his name associated with one of if not the biggest fleece in the history of comics.

It's the Church copy of a book no one would give a mess about if it didn't have Frazetta art inside.

Over the last 30 years the Church collection has had books that have been damaged and abused - it's inevitable - this seems like a small thing to get upset about.

I wonder if Edgar Church would even want his name associated with one of if not the biggest fleece in the history of comics.

What do you mean? (shrug)

Bought for $2500 in April 08 and sold in May 2008 for $7500. Now listed on Ebay at $12,000 BIN.

What do you mean? (shrug)

Not speaking for Anthony, but I believe he is referring to Chuckles liberating the collection from the Church family.

If anyone is concerned about such things, that book belongs to a Boardie. General etiquette may suggest a little more temperance.

My 2c is that the provenance is what it is. There are those who believe that signatures enhance books and those that believe that they deface them. Ne'er the twain shall meet. But I will never be convinced of the "stewardship" model of owning comics.

If anyone is concerned about such things, that book belongs to a Boardie. General etiquette may suggest a little more temperance.

My 2c is that the provenance is what it is. There are those who believe that signatures enhance books and those that believe that they deface them. Ne'er the twain shall meet. But I will never be convinced of the "stewardship" model of owning comics.

Sean's motto:

"Mine! They're all mine!"