• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Edgar Church Rolling Over in Grave,Mile High copy of Tally-Ho Comics Desecrated?

168 posts in this topic

you know - the funniest part about all of this is what Steve Duin wrote in his article...

"I don't know a single Golden Age collector who believes the value of a comic is enhanced by the autograph of the artist. I wonder how many more Mile Highs will be trashed before these dealers figure that out."

If that were true, how did:

A) it sit un purchased at Metropolis for a long period of time for $2,500 without Franks signature

B) Get purchased and signed by Frazetta and

C) within 3 weeks after that sell for $7,500 within an hour of being listed on Pedigree Comics??

Does that not mean that a single Golden Age collector DID think the value of the comic was enhanced by the autograph of the artist??

I am also thankful for your thought out and well written response. It's nice to debate a point with someone that doesn't just respond with, "You're a doody-head." I'm certainly not anti-profit. I was just pointing out some perceived inconsistencies in your statements. As for the signing of pedigrees, we can just agree to disagree. I would just ask that people remember that the echo chamber in this particular forum is not visited much by anyone not a fan of SS books.

Thanks again for a lucid and reasoned response.

I am also thankful for your thought out and well written response. It's nice to debate a point with someone that doesn't just respond with, "You're a doody-head." I'm certainly not anti-profit. I was just pointing out some perceived inconsistencies in your statements. As for the signing of pedigrees, we can just agree to disagree. I would just ask that people remember that the echo chamber in this particular forum is not visited much by anyone not a fan of SS books.

Thanks again for a lucid and reasoned response.

Everyone on any internet chat board should be referred to this disagreement. It's intellegent and lacking any of the usual personal attacks, at least between the two primary debaters.

Impressive....on both sides!

you know - the funniest part about all of this is what Steve Duin wrote in his article...

"I don't know a single Golden Age collector who believes the value of a comic is enhanced by the autograph of the artist. I wonder how many more Mile Highs will be trashed before these dealers figure that out."

If that were true, how did:

A) it sit un purchased at Metropolis for a long period of time for $2,500 without Franks signature

B) Get purchased and signed by Frazetta and

C) within 3 weeks after that sell for $7,500 within an hour of being listed on Pedigree Comics??

Does that not mean that a single Golden Age collector DID think the value of the comic was enhanced by the autograph of the artist??

You certainly did (thumbs u

If I owned that comic, I'd crack that sucker out and read it. :grin:

Because that's what comics are for. (thumbs u

And there's part of the rub. You can never crack a SS book again without making a big dent in it's value.

If Bob Kane were still alive, and I had the Church 'Tec 27, I would not hesitate to have him sign it...but not before I did just about everything I could to protect it from damage.

After all...he created it.

Just as if Thomas Jefferson were still alive, and I had a Dunlap broadside, I wouldn't hesitate to have him sign it (can you imagine?)

And if I truly prized a possession, I would never sell it, regardless of the offer...but I understand the siren call of $$$ is hard for some to resist.

Oh, and the Oliver Twist example is a bit of a stretch.... lol

I love the book and I love the sig....I just wish Frazetta took the time to sign the book in a decent area. He almost couldn't have picked a worse area on the cover to sign with a light colored pen (or is it pencil?)

large_tally.jpg

If Bob Kane were still alive, and I had the Church 'Tec 27, I would not hesitate to have him sign it...but not before I did just about everything I could to protect it from damage.

Just as if Thomas Jefferson were still alive, and I had a Dunlap broadside, I wouldn't hesitate to have him sign it (can you imagine?)

And if I truly prized a possession, I would never sell it, regardless of the offer...but I understand the siren call of $$$ is hard for some to resist.

Bob Kane didn't create the the Church Copy of Tec #27, Edgar did :baiting:

Get a signature on any other book but don't desecrate history. If you had Babe Ruths 714 Home Run baseball, would you get Derek Jeter to sign it because it's the only ball you had available? Of course not.

As for people being able to do whatever they want with their "property". It isn't their property, they may own it, but if you care about the hobby then you must realize that you are really only a caretaker of the book. Unlike houses, and cars and furniture, you OWN that becuase you will outlive it, a Mile High you will not.

Somebody preserved a piece of pop culture history, to be enjoyed by later generations, not for anyone to scribble all over them as they see fit, in order to maximize profitability. The love here is to the dollar sign, and not the art that is a Frazetta signature.

2 cents.

Jim

Bob Kane didn't create the the Church Copy of Tec #27, Edgar did :baiting:

Get a signature on any other book but don't desecrate history. If you had Babe Ruths 714 Home Run baseball, would you get Derek Jeter to sign it because it's the only ball you had available? Of course not.

As for people being able to do whatever they want with their "property". It isn't their property, they may own it, but if you care about the hobby then you must realize that you are really only a caretaker of the book. Unlike houses, and cars and furniture, you OWN that becuase you will outlive it, a Mile High you will not.

Somebody preserved a piece of pop culture history, to be enjoyed by later generations, not for anyone to scribble all over them as they see fit, in order to maximize profitability. The love here is to the dollar sign, and not the art that is a Frazetta signature.

2 cents.

Jim

I am really confused by your Babe Ruth/ Derek Jeter statement. How does that play into this debate? Frazetta signed the book, not,[ fill in any Modern artist]

Scribble all over them???? We are talking Frazetta signing his first Book for cripes,sake!

Oh and here is my Lowely unpedigreed 5.5 signed by the Master. I do wish he would have used gold ink though!

Sorry for the horrific pics.

IMG00998.jpg

IMG00999.jpg

That's not really an apt analogy. Actually, it's a pretty terrible one. :eek:

I can't think of an artist that has done more for the genre than Frank Frazetta. Ask anyone on the street if they heard the name, and better than half of anyone on earth the past few decades will know the name Frazetta. They may not know why they know it, or what he did, but they recognize the name. Does Edgar Church have such name recognition? In 50 years which "name" will be more significant?

So if given the opportunity to have the comic book that contains his first professional work autographed by the man himself, pedigree book or not, you go for it.

The only thing really significant about the book (besides the pedigree) is the fact it contains Frank Frazetta's first work in a comic medium.

I think it's just fantastic! :applause:

It's actually a dead on analogy. You have a dead Hall of Famer (Babe Ruth/Edgar Churchs book) being written on by a current/future and alive hall of famer signing an artifact that they had nothing to do with when it comes to the noteriety of that particular example. Sure Jeter hits baseballs but he didn't hit that one, and Frazetta draws Tally Ho's but he didn't preserve that particular example.

To think any indifferent, shows little respect for the historical aspect of this hobby and downright contempt for fandom in general. Just because you "don't get" pedigrees doesn't mean you should destroy them.

Jim

A better analogy would be what if you had Hank Aaron's 755th home run ball (I won't open up a new debate by using Barry Bonds) and got Hammerin' Hank to sign it.

It's actually a dead on analogy. You have a dead Hall of Famer (Babe Ruth/Edgar Churchs book) being written on by a current/future and alive hall of famer signing an artifact that they had nothing to do with when it comes to the noteriety of that particular example. Sure Jeter hits baseballs but he didn't hit that one, and Frazetta draws Tally Ho's but he didn't preserve that particular example.

To think any indifferent, shows little respect for the historical aspect of this hobby and downright contempt for fandom in general. Just because you "don't get" pedigrees doesn't mean you should destroy them.

Jim

No, it's not "dead on," as Derek Jeter has absolutely nothing to do with Babe Ruth's homerun ball. Jeter did not make the ball. Jeter did not hit the ball. Jeter wasn't even alive when that homerun was hit. Conversely, Frank Frazetta has EVERYTHING to do with that issue of Tally Ho, as it is his artwork featured in the comic book.

As I said, you're analogy is not an apt one.

Jim

No, it's not "dead on," as Derek Jeter has absolutely nothing to do with Babe Ruth's homerun ball. Jeter did not make the ball. Jeter did not hit the ball. Jeter wasn't even alive when that homerun was hit. Conversely, Frank Frazetta has EVERYTHING to do with that issue of Tally Ho, as it is his artwork featured in the comic book.

As I said, you're analogy is not an apt one.

So if Jeter, as a young man had worked in the factory that made baseballs, it would be okay for him to sign it? The point is that people disagree about "who" should be allowed to scribble on a piece of history. So why do it at all? I don't think anyone here has said anything negative about having Frazetta sign any of the other non-pedigree books that he has. It only becomes an issue when you talk about THAT particular book.

Jim

It's a little bit of a stretch to say it's a "dead on analogy." You're saying that Jeter's connection to that particular baseball is just as strong (or weak, depending upon how you look at it) as Frazetta's connection to the Mile High Tally-Ho. How can that be? Now if Frazetta had signed the Mile High copy of [fill in the name of any book that Frazetta did not work on], then I think the analogy would be dead on. But eliminating the connection simply because someone else who took really good care of his comics owned it first is beyond me. (shrug)