• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Edgar Church Rolling Over in Grave,Mile High copy of Tally-Ho Comics Desecrated?

168 posts in this topic

Hmm.... should I send him a cease and desist for not giving me a credit for the use of my scan/photograph in his article?

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/steve_duin/index.ssf/2009/07/edgar_church_is_rolling_over_i.html

:roflmao:

I know it's in jest, but I believe you've actually hit upon something. If they did not get permission to use your image, then they cannot use it legally.

I'm all for it if it already wasn't such goood publicity.

A serious response to a not so serious comment is that journalists are allowed "fair use" of copyrighted images. And that's assuming that this image is actually his to "own".

I'm not fully informed on the full extent of the copyright laws. It just seemed like there might be the possibility of a case. I would gladly defer to someone more informed than myself on the issue.

Me too.

The owner of the book has no copyrights at all.

Hmm.... should I send him a cease and desist for not giving me a credit for the use of my scan/photograph in his article?

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/steve_duin/index.ssf/2009/07/edgar_church_is_rolling_over_i.html

I know it's in jest, but I believe you've actually hit upon something. If they did not get permission to use your image, then they cannot use it legally.

A serious response to a not so serious comment is that journalists are allowed "fair use" of copyrighted images. And that's assuming that this image is actually his to "own".

I'm not fully informed on the full extent of the copyright laws. It just seemed like there might be the possibility of a case. I would gladly defer to someone more informed than myself on the issue.

Me too.

But in the process of making the scan/photo, doesn't the owner own the copyright to the IMAGE of the book, in much the same way photographers create a copyright to their work merely by creating/publishing their photographs?

Me too.

But in the process of making the scan/photo, doesn't the owner own the copyright to the IMAGE of the book, in much the same way photographers create a copyright to their work merely by creating/publishing their photographs?

No, it's derivative. In theory, and depending on use, we are all violating the copyrights of the original publisher and/or author. Buying a book does not convey any rights to the owner except ownership of that copy of the book.

yes - I was referring to the IMAGE or SCAN of the book... not the illustration on the cover of the book, etc. It's like - if I came home and, despite my direct requests to have her not call me anymore, found Natalie Portman sitting comfortably on my couch gazing at me with a desperate look of desire and pleading in her eyes. Now, in that example, if I took a photo of her at that moment, I would not OWN Natalie Portman, but I would have certain rights to the image I took of her...meaning people could not be able to use the image without my permission. :roflmao:

natalieportman-01.jpg

(Photographer unknown - Image not used with permission)

David's right though. You can't take a photo of something with a copyright and suddenly get the rights to that image. If so, then anyone could just scan a comic and claim ownership of the images that show the text and artwork. Nice to see that this thread has derailed onto a topic a little more friendly.

you know - the funniest part about all of this is what Steve Duin wrote in his article...

"I don't know a single Golden Age collector who believes the value of a comic is enhanced by the autograph of the artist. I wonder how many more Mile Highs will be trashed before these dealers figure that out."

If that were true, how did:

A) it sit un purchased at Metropolis for a long period of time for $2,500 without Franks signature

B) Get purchased and signed by Frazetta and

C) within 3 weeks after that sell for $7,500 within an hour of being listed on Pedigree Comics??

Does that not mean that a single Golden Age collector DID think the value of the comic was enhanced by the autograph of the artist??

So someone paid $5,000 for Frazetta's signature? doh! For years and years he offered his signature for $250 - and he would sign whatever you wanted.

Get a signature on any other book but don't desecrate history. If you had Babe Ruths 714 Home Run baseball, would you get Derek Jeter to sign it because it's the only ball you had available? Of course not.

That's not really an apt analogy. Actually, it's a pretty terrible one. :eek:

It's actually a dead on analogy. You have a dead Hall of Famer (Babe Ruth/Edgar Churchs book) being written on by a current/future and alive hall of famer signing an artifact that they had nothing to do with when it comes to the noteriety of that particular example. Sure Jeter hits baseballs but he didn't hit that one, and Frazetta draws Tally Ho's but he didn't preserve that particular example.

To think any indifferent, shows little respect for the historical aspect of this hobby and downright contempt for fandom in general. Just because you "don't get" pedigrees doesn't mean you should destroy them.

Jim

Jim, that's a terrible analogy. Church and Frazetta both have a connection to that book.

I think the owner of a book can do what they want with a book. I know myself if I where to get a book signed I would use my best copy and if possible if I had it use a book that had his first work in.

Is shocking to see a book go up so quick in worth though and wish I had a book to get signed that would make me $1000 let alone $5000.

Is it true that Frazetta has only ever done one book signing?

Also just realized from some of the artwork shown in this thread that when I was a kid reading Edgar Rice Burroughs - John Carter from Mars books that Frazetta did some of the covers for the novels. It was these images that made me pick up the books to read them.

mmmfmmn4.jpg

However, to me, Frank Frazetta is a thousand times more important to our hobby, the art world, and to pop culture in general than Edgar Church. The fact that the book was in his collection is a means of proving provenance only, it's not the stigmata to be revered and bowed down before for cripes sake. In the case of a Tally Ho #1 the fact that it's Frazetta's first work and that it was was Church's collection are the only 2 selling points. This is not a key book by anyone's standard definition.

If a choice comes up to place a legend's name on a book like this (please remember it's a Tally Ho, not an Action 1, not a Tec 27) I don't really have much of a problem with it. To me, I look at what book is getting signed and not the pedigree. A Tally Ho #1 is a pretty meaningless book in the Church ped. Given the chance to have Frank sign his first work I would take it.

My sentiments exactly! (thumbs u

I think the owner of a book can do what they want with a book. I know myself if I where to get a book signed I would use my best copy and if possible if I had it use a book that had his first work in.

Is shocking to see a book go up so quick in worth though and wish I had a book to get signed that would make me $1000 let alone $5000.

Also just realized from some of the artwork shown in this thread that when I was a kid reading Edgar Rice Burroughs - John Carter from Mars books that Frazetta did some of the covers for the novels. It was these images that made me pick up the books to read them.

mmmfmmn4.jpg

you should see the original painting. Phenomenal, breathtaking. (worship)

Those John Carter books were some of the first sci-fi I ever read.

mmmfmmn4.jpg

you should see the original painting. Phenomenal, breathtaking. (worship)

Those John Carter books were some of the first sci-fi I ever read.

They where some of the first I read too for sci-fi when it came to novels.