• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your Dell Giants

76 posts in this topic

There is really no good place to post this; but this thread will be read by lots of Disney fans so this is as good a place as any.

Yesterday I had the great priviledge to witness an informal performance by Richard Sherman who was half of the composing team known as the Sherman Brothers. The occassion was the retirement party of Marty Sklar, the long time Creative Executive of Walt Disney Imagineering. Apparently, he had a relationship with Mr. Sklar that went back many years and he graciously agreed to perform at this retirement function.

Basically, he ad-libbed on the piano his old tunes rejiggered to the occasion. It was amazing to hear some of the Mary Poppins tunes as they probably first sounded coming out of the piano by the master who created them! It was one of those events (and a total surprise) that you kept thinking; I can't believe I am here hearing this!

What a cool story.

On another OT slant:

What is the general market for these in F to VF. A local dealer has a couple of short boxes full. I just don't think they move unless they're heavily discounted off guide or if they're VF or better. Any estimates on % of Guide?

People know I'm a Four Color or Duck guy so they always let me know about Dell Giants they have. My response is always the same, "I don't want to get started down that road." But looking at some of these, I have to wonder.

Nice books guys.

Scrooge - A lot of those Dell Giants look very familar. I love the Giant, it always feels like you are getting a lot of good comics. Some of my favorites are the early Lulu Annuals that reprint the 4 Color stories and the Nancy Summer Camps ones written by John Stanley.

These are real cool books, but seem to be plentifuly in anything below VF, and expensive in anything above VF! Here's one I like, and I noticed jimjum has one currently for sale in the marketplace. :gossip:

peter_pan.jpg

Sleeping Beauty

I'm glad I checked -- I almost posted a slightly lower copy of that one.

Instead, here's a nice-looking Mickey Mouse in Frontierland that's on its way to me. I hope it lives up to the scans.

MickeyFrontierland.jpg

MickeyFrontierback.jpg

JPS

Sleeping Beauty

I'm glad I checked -- I almost posted a slightly lower copy of that one.

Sleeping Beauty is a cool one. At first glance, it seems it reprints the Four Color version but adds pages to the story or maybe it's the other way around, the FC leaves pages out but I think it's the other way around. I need to sit down and compare the 2 versions.

And my favourite. This one is worth having for Walt Kelly's absolutely charming introduction as well as the wonderful Pogo stories (reprinted from Animal Comics).

pogo_parade.jpg

pogo_parade_back.jpg