• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question to those who attend cons regularly(as sellers and buyers)..

13 posts in this topic

I haven't been to a convention since 2001, and even then I wasn't paying much attention to unslabbed stuff. My question is; How do strictly graded, raw VF to VF/NM's do? I'm mostly thinking of 60's to 70's Marvels, particularly keys.(stuff like ASM 39,40,50,121,122,129, Cap 100, Surfer 1, etc..) Are they even found much at shows? if so, are books priced at guide? Higher? Lower? And are they moving?

Andrew,

I find that the VF/NM market does well...of course, they sell to people who want a decent high grade book, and they can usually get it a discount from what the seller is asking...which is usually high...my guess is they go higher on the start, this way they have room to give a buyer a break. There are keys, but they aren't usually high grade unless it's a dealer that deals in that market...such as Bob, Metro....I like to do the shows, gives you a chance to find 'hidden" gems - but most of the time, it's junk....

Hello there Captains of Industry.

In the LA Monthly con, High-grade SA/GA comics are not in abundance. However, I never paid too much attention to the ENTIRE comic book selections as I am limited in what I collect( I am a buyer only). The ones I do keep track of ( Marvel Silver Age),when available, they do get sold. I will probably go this month, and will let you know, and will keep ALL comic genres in mind. hi.gif

I try to attend the monthly Tyson's show that we talk about (Darth and Donut have actually set up table's there before). Occassionally, you can find some "higher grade" silver (VF's to VF/NM). And, if you dig, there is some HG Bronze. Unfortunately, the "keys" are not there in HG. Never seen a HG ASM #129 or Neal Adam's GL's, or even a WBN #32! One time, Harley was there and I picked up a nice Nick Fury #6 (but, I did pay "Harley Price" for it). The biggest problem is that, being a small show, you get the same dealers, alot of times bringing the same stuff.

As far as big shows go, I've noticed that true HG books go for overguide, while books in VF-VF/NM range tend to hover right at guide (especially depending on the book). Few dealers have truly HG. At the Baltimore show, I bought some really nice stuff from Bob's BA collection (some MOKF's). They were slightly above guide, but were NM or better (I haven't had them graded, but I would be shocked if any came back lower than 9.4. With most being 9.6's). I once saw a raw FF#112 (it did look really nice) and the dealer was asking $400!!! Wouldn't budge on the price (this was 2 years ago). I passed.

In Philly, I bought around 6-8 DC horror books that were priced at guide w/ one exception - Forbidden Tales of Dark Mansion #8 which Bob had priced above guide. I had that graded and it came back 9.2 (would have been higher except for 2-3" production crease on back cover). Had an HOS #103 graded as well (posted it back around Halloween), and it came back 9.0 (still scratching my head on this one). I also remember seeing a collector buy a pretty nice (VF/NM?) ASM #129 from Ted (Superworld) for $275 (if I remember correctly).

Chris

Alittle off topic, but I was wondering where I may find information on upcoming comic cons in my area. It's been ages since I attended the comic cons in NY and I've since moved to Indiana. When I google for conventions in my area, nothing comes up except for a big show or two in Detroit/Chicago in May or something.

Check your LCS and the back of CBG for smaller shows.

I have a friend that used to collect that lives in Indiana and, unfortunately, he has said there is very little in the way of shows. He has talked about making a trip to Chicago for the day to attend a con. Maybe somebody in the area knows of some? confused-smiley-013.gif

Just save the $$ you would spend at a few small shows and make the trip for WizardWorld Chicago. I think a few of the forumites have said it's their favorite show of the year.

Chris

Alittle off topic, but I was wondering where I may find information on upcoming comic cons in my area. It's been ages since I attended the comic cons in NY and I've since moved to Indiana. When I google for conventions in my area, nothing comes up except for a big show or two in Detroit/Chicago in May or something.

Try:

here

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

May 1 South Bend Comic Convention South Bend, IN

at the Holy Family Hall

Mayflower @ Western

hours are from 10am to 5 PM admission is $2

For more info call Jim @ 754 232-8129

Also.. Midwest comic shows: http://www.cybershire.com/~comics/shows.htm

One thing I've learned about Cons...you never know what you're going to find until you get there. For instance, I spent a whopping $150 on high grade books at last year's MegaCon, the largest Comic and Sci-Fi con in the Southeastern US. Despite the abundance of dealers, and a lot of time spent hunting through boxes, I walked away very disappointed. Then this past Fall, I attended a tiny bi-annual local show in tampa, and ended up dropping $700 on some decent high grade material. I was really just looking for reading issues, but ended up getting some primo material.

The moral? Don't judge a Con by its advertising, reputation, or attendence. If you have the time and money, go and have fun, and you may just be surprised with what you bring home. (Geez, sounds like a wild night out at a single's bar... crazy.gif)

Thanks all for the help. I did see that there was going to be a show in South Bend in May, but was hoping to find something sooner, as in a monthly local show. The Chicago/Detroit conventions are not that long a drive, so I'll probably be attending one of those. Any feedback on the respective shows would be greatly appreciated (I'm just looking to pick up raw copies of pre #141 X-men and 70s-early 80s Marvel/DC for my own collection and condition isn't that important).

I was at the Megacon last year. Very slim pickings all the way - I doubt I'll go back. Best bet: save up for Chicago or SD. Just 'cause a show's well run doesn't mean it's good for back issue collectors - sometimes a minor show can be far more interesting. That said, you can't go wrong with the Big Two.