• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MARVEL AGE if you got them post them

18 posts in this topic

I was up in Flagstaff for the past two days and stopped by a used book store and found these Marvel Ages. There were plenty of other books which I also picked up for half cover, but they don't fit the copper forum.

While I have a few issues of this advertisement series. I had all but forgotten about them as they have been stashed away for years.

When I saw these they reminded me of my youth and the fun associated with collecting back then. The covers are fun and were done by the different artists of the time. If you got them post them.

scan0001-5.jpg

scan0002-2.jpg

scan0003-3.jpg

scan0004-5.jpg

scan0005-5.jpg

DC had something like that (think it was called the "DC Insider"). You'll see some sellers offering up the Saga of the Swamp Thing 37 preview as the TRUE 1st appearance of John Constantine. :screwy:

I remember them as well I believe I still have a couple somewhere as well, They weren't quite as nice as the Marvel Age IMO though, but I believe they were free. Didn't someone claim the first black costume was in a Marvel Age?

I remember them as well I believe I still have a couple somewhere as well, They weren't quite as nice as the Marvel Age IMO though, but I believe they were free. Didn't someone claim the first black costume was in a Marvel Age?

I think you are right that this came up before. But I believe this had early work from a few writers. Wiki says Peter David was one of those.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Age

Technically, it is. Marvel Age #12 had a preview of sorts in it. Unlike most modern previews, it wasn't a few pages from another book, it was the concept designs of the costume. The only major difference between these designs and the final product was that the Spider was red instead of white.

Marvel Age #12: March 1984

Amazing Spider-Man #252 May 1984

Secret Wars #8 December 1984

I got distracted :blush:

I think Marvel Age is under-rated by collectors, especially in the CGC age where so many of us "collect covers." Many of the covers were original including #90's Spidey by McFarlane!

51393527306.90.GIF

DC had something like that (think it was called the "DC Insider"). You'll see some sellers offering up the Saga of the Swamp Thing 37 preview as the TRUE 1st appearance of John Constantine. :screwy:

DC Insider sounds familiar, but I couldn't find any of those lying around. I did find these little guys, which were nothing more than a glossy Comic Shop News for DC.

DC1.jpg

DC2.jpg

I know I have a few Marvel Age. The annuals were usually given out at Chicago Comicon back in the day. I'll post them eventually.