• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you know he/she is a board member at comic cons?

26 posts in this topic

I've seen a lot of posts about CGC board members meeting each other for the first time at various comic cons. So how do you know who is who? Do you wear name tags with your board name on it? Do you wear your Collector's Society pin? Just curious as to exactly how you guys get together for the 1st time.

BTW, flatrock02 and I have decided to go to WW Chicago on Friday, Aug. 7th and would like to meet some board members that day. So who's gonna be around on Friday?

Basically you just kick it, standing around the CGC Booth or a dealer booth who's name you recognize from the boards, and go up to people who's pics you might have seen on the boards and ask them if they are a boardie.

I wear a sandwich board with my name and Collector's Society handle on it with the phrase, "Hi, I'm Brian from the boards. Please be my friend. Come up and say Hi!!."

I don't think anyone from the boards really goes to these shows. I have yet to meet anyone using this technique. (shrug)

Maybe I'll do something different at SDCC... hm

I'd like to meet some boardies this year.

Brian

I've mentioned specialized board member badges in years past but it never caught on.

In Chicago a few years ago (my first really big con) I tried hard to remember what people looked like from board pictures and kind of caught on from there. I ended up meeting a lot of great boardies for the first time and enjoyed it.

Now I get people from time to time come up to me and introduce themselves as board members...I guess I've been here a while now...but i think it would be really cool if everyone from the boards agreed to wear a decoder ring or something at cons.

2c

If you meet one boardie , chances are another is close by and you get introduced -- then another and another and so on and so on -- its like a tsunami of boardies sometimes -- and it can all just start with one

I've mentioned specialized board member badges in years past but it never caught on.

In Chicago a few years ago (my first really big con) I tried hard to remember what people looked like from board pictures and kind of caught on from there. I ended up meeting a lot of great boardies for the first time and enjoyed it.

Now I get people from time to time come up to me and introduce themselves as board members...I guess I've been here a while now...but i think it would be really cool if everyone from the boards agreed to wear a decoder ring or something at cons.

2c

It sems to me that some kind of badge makes the most sense. I think I have a badge holder laying around from one of the manufacturing shows I've attended. Maybe I'll create a badge with a CGC logo on it and below it just say "CGC Board Member shark2557".

There's a few of you I could pick out (even though we've never met in person) because of pics posted here on the boards. People like r1970d, BakerGirl, BigMike, DocWatson and a few others. I guess my motto behind the badges is "why guess when you would know right away" with a badge.

Of course it could backfire on certain board members as well. Those having recent transaction problems here on the boards might be better off NOT having a badge. Or maybe just getting a haircut or wearing a fake moustache might work too. lol

2c

It sems to me that some kind of badge makes the most sense. I think I have a badge holder laying around from one of the manufacturing shows I've attended. Maybe I'll create a badge with a CGC logo on it and below it just say "CGC Board Member shark2557".

There's a few of you I could pick out (even though we've never met in person) because of pics posted here on the boards. People like r1970d, BakerGirl, BigMike, DocWatson and a few others. I guess my motto behind the badges is "why guess when you would know right away" with a badge.

Of course it could backfire on certain board members as well. Those having recent transaction problems here on the boards might be better off NOT having a badge. Or maybe just getting a haircut or wearing a fake moustache might work too. lol

When I was into Sci Fi conventions we commissioned the artists to do up nametags for us. Some were quite elaborate and it was a lot of fun, I'm surprised it hasn't caught on at comic cons.

When I want to be seen, I wear ECU pirates gear. When i don't want to be seen, more than likely something from Michigan St which worked great at Motor City.

By smell.

Works for me. If they smell of deodorant then they probably took a wrong turn off the Manga aisle.

If they smell like grandma's mutton pie or wet dog or yesterdays' egg salad, that's true boardie odie colognie.