• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OUCH !!!! ............. if you "invested" in Thor 9.8 Simonson run

99 posts in this topic

This is not :news: .

These books have never been rare in high grade. In my opinion, nothing after 1966 or 1967 is rare in high grade. It just hasn't come to market yet. That's why I no longer bother with top census books. It's a moot point.

:o

Sobering for the Modern High grade collector. How many cases of Key books might potentially be out there waiting to be found? hm

I clearly remember all the commotion about Thor Simonson. It hit IMMEDIATELY, the week #337 came out the issue was so out you could not buy a copy at my local LCS ("local" meaning one hour away). doh!

By issue #339 even I was buying 5 copies of each issue, and I had barely even heard of this dude named Thor (I lived in the DC universe). I continued to "invest" in them until issue #344.

I was a kid and buying multiple copies of #339 to #344, so imagine how many adults were socking away multiple copies.

These books have never been rare in high grade. In my opinion, nothing after 1966 or 1967 is rare in high grade. It just hasn't come to market yet. That's why I no longer bother with top census books. It's a moot point.

very true.

These books have never been rare in high grade. In my opinion, nothing after 1966 or 1967 is rare in high grade. It just hasn't come to market yet.

I agree somewhat, depending on what you call "high grade"

I think 1970-1975 is very common in 9.2/9/4

1976-1980 common in 9.4/9.6

post-1980 common in 9.8

But it also depends on the title, the print run, if anyone bothered saving them, etc.

The classic example is TMNT, which is definitely NOT common in 9.6+ even though it is from the 1980's

but TMNT is not a good example of what Watson is talking about.

Take any Marvel or DC book and in HG it is common. There are probably thousands upon thousands of examples of lots like this out there waiting to come to market

These books have never been rare in high grade. In my opinion, nothing after 1966 or 1967 is rare in high grade. It just hasn't come to market yet.

post-1980 common in 9.8

But it also depends on the title, the print run, if anyone bothered saving them, etc.

The classic example is TMNT, which is definitely NOT common in 9.6+ even though it is from the 1980's

TMNT was an upstart comic published by no-nothing Mirage Studios with a printing of only 3,000 copies. Nowhere near the print run of Uncanny X-Men or Thor in the 80s or the 60s for that matter. It's tits and azzholes.

post-1980 common in 9.8

TMNT was an upstart comic published by no-nothing Mirage Studios with a printing of only 3,000 copies. Nowhere near the print run of Uncanny X-Men or Thor in the 80s or the 60s for that matter. It's tits and azzholes.

OK, but after 10 years of slabbing, there are STILL a lot of issues out there from the mid to late 1970's where there are ZERO 9.8 copies on the census, especially on the giant size square bound books

That was the point I was trying to make. It depends on the book

I believe some of the late 1970's books will ALWAYS be scarce in 9.8, and even not that many 9.6 copies in some cases

For example, if someone is out there that would like to sell me a run of Batman Family #1 to #20 in 9.6/9.8 I'm all ears :blahblah:

very true.

meh

post-1980 common in 9.8

OK, but after 10 years of slabbing, there are STILL a lot of issues out there from the mid to late 1970's where there are ZERO 9.8 copies on the census, especially on the giant size square bound books

That was the point I was trying to make. It depends on the book

I believe some of the late 1970's books will ALWAYS be scarce in 9.8, and even not that many 9.6 copies in some cases

For example, if someone is out there that would like to sell me a run of Batman Family #1 to #20 in 9.6/9.8 I'm all ears :blahblah:

Batman Family #1 to #20 in 9.6/9.8 isn't there because there is no demand for it. You let one come to market and big bucks be paid for it and they'll fall out the woodwork like termites at a Florida log home convention.

Just like the Uncanny X-Men 294-296 books. The first few sold for big bucks. Now you can hardly give them away even in 9.8.

Most low census numbers are because people don't care enough to slab the books.

Batman Family #1 to #20 in 9.6/9.8 isn't there because there is no demand for it. You let one come to market and big bucks be paid for it and they'll fall out the woodwork like termites at a Florida log home convention.

GPA data:

Batman Family #9

9.8 sold for $131 Feb-2008

1 copy on the census

where are the rest of them?

It's not worth slabbing a $130 book?

CGC used to charge only $15 to slab this era.

A 9.6 copy sold for $70 this month

I don't see any 9.8 copies coming "out ot the woodwork" on ANY issue in this run.

I wish they would because I would buy them.

Who besides you wants one? (shrug)

Learn how to grade, find a raw one and get it graded.

I waited for over a year for an Astonishing X-Men #22 in a 9.8. One never came to market. I got tired of waiting. I bought three out of the dollar boxes. I had two graded and kept one as a reader. Now I have two 9.8s.

it's a lot more complicated than that.

you've got to have someone who HAS the issues and has the time to go through them and pull 9.8 candidates, box them up and send them off. not to mention the desire to do so.

one sale of a pretty undesirable issue isn't going to do a whole lot to suss other copies out there