• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gene Colan cancels SDCC appearance - NOT!

12 posts in this topic

From Mark Evanier's Blog:

"The great comic book illustrator Gene Colan has found it necessary to cancel his appearance at the Comic-Con International this year. As I understand it, it's for medical reasons but not necessarily serious ones. Gene merely needs some tests which have to be performed next week and his doctors have advised him not to subject himself to the strenuous trip at this time. We'll miss seeing him and his lovely mate Adrienne at the convention and will assume he'll be fine for it next year."

"This means that the Spotlight on Gene Colan, which was scheduled for Friday at Noon, will not take place. Drat. Gene was also to appear on the Golden Age Panel on Thursday but that will go on without him. Matter of fact, I shrewdly scheduled seven panelists instead of the usual six because I sensed this might happen. So we'll proceed with Ramona Fradon, Jerry Robinson, Russ Heath, Jack Katz, Leonard Starr and Murphy Anderson, and though we'll miss Gene, we'll have a fine time."

The latest from Evanier:

"Happy to say, the medical news is good for Gene Colan and he will be at the Comic-Con in San Diego, after all. So the announcements of his panel and appearance being cancelled are now, themselves, cancelled. Gene should be on the Golden Age Panel on Thursday at 3:30 in Room 8, and I'll be interviewing him (with the help of Marv Wolfman) in that same room on Friday at 11 AM. Yay."

I got two signatures from Gene, one in my Comic-Con hardcover book, and another on a Bart Simpson's Treehouse of Horror comic.

I had gotten his signature on some silver age books in the past, so this time I decided to get some of his more recent work signed.

He was charging $20 per autograph, which I didn't mind paying in the least, considering his recent health problems with no medical insurance.