• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM X-men 9 (we have a winner)

21 posts in this topic

Just got this one back and was confused. No notes ( yes I did call ) got hammered.

So I'll offer a virtual Marvel No-prize via PM to the boardie who is 100% spot on.

2dv4c5g.jpg

2dj5vb.jpg

thanks in advance for participating in this contest

WEBHEAD

6.5?

we have a winner!!!!! :acclaim:

Personally I don't see the reason why. No creases, nothing wrong inside, one spine tick. Color on cover is sharp. Must have been graded on a Monday lol

One virtual no prize pm shortly!!!

Thanks for all that participated. I'll bring it in to NYC and have a one on one with CGC.......per request. Till then it's a real sharp looking book

WEBHEAD

Personally it looks like they graded that book very well.I'm sorry I know we get attached to our books and feel they are better than they really are at times,but you do have more than one spine tick,and there is a bend at the lower left corner,each corner has some kind of issues(bent,rounded etc.) 2c(shrug)

Personally it looks like they graded that book very well.I'm sorry I know we get attached to our books and feel they are better than they really are at times,but you do have more than one spine tick,and there is a bend at the lower left corner,each corner has some kind of issues(bent,rounded etc.) 2c(shrug)

thanks for the input..here is some overstreet grading criteria

VF- 7.5 - same as 8.0 but cover can have light cover soiling and some interior pages can have corner slight tears - Also cover can have some corner wear.

F/VF 7.0 - Moderate reduction of cover reflectivity - minor creases allowed, minor foxing, interior cover yellowing, date stamps - initials - and store stamps are allowed, Slight rust migration allowed, Blunted corners, minor margin tears on interior pages allowed -- More and deeper stress lines allowed

FN+ 6.5 - up to 1/4 inch spine split or severe color break are allowed - Minor spine rolls allowed and cover can have minor discoloration, staining and/or foxing as well as minor to moderate cover creases

Blunted corners allowed. seems more like a 7.5-7.0 to me

WEBHEAD

thanks for the input..here is some overstreet grading criteria

VF- 7.5 - same as 8.0 but cover can have light cover soiling and some interior pages can have corner slight tears - Also cover can have some corner wear.

F/VF 7.0 - Moderate reduction of cover reflectivity - minor creases allowed, minor foxing, interior cover yellowing, date stamps - initials - and store stamps are allowed, Slight rust migration allowed, Blunted corners, minor margin tears on interior pages allowed -- More and deeper stress lines allowed

FN+ 6.5 - up to 1/4 inch spine split or severe color break are allowed - Minor spine rolls allowed and cover can have minor discoloration, staining and/or foxing as well as minor to moderate cover creases

Blunted corners allowed. seems more like a 7.5-7.0 to me

WEBHEAD

You and I both know that OSPG is a generalization.I dont want to get into an argument over .5 of a grade.I dont have the book in front of me to tell exactly why they graded what they did,but with the small,dark scan you provided it looks like a 6.5 thats all I'm saying (shrug)

7.0 if all the defects I see are on the book and not the slab; 7.5 otherwise.

I submitted my guess without reading the whole thread first. Here’s what I see:

Back – what’s that blemish on the upper left edge? URC soft. LLC tiny bend. LRC looks like the book took a drop, not just blunted. Left edge – what’s going on across from the “23 Lessons” box? AS tear? A ding? LLC – color breaking crease in the “Free Trial Coupon” box?

Front –URC CB crease and a tear or second tiny CBC. CB ding between “N” and issue number box? CB ding inder “M” in “Men”? CB crease by upper staple, almost looks like a slight fold. CB cease by Thor’s butt. LLC looks dinged (from a drop?). LRC soft.

As far as CGC “getting it wrong,” several folks thought it looked like a 7.0. 6.5 isn’t that far off, especially since none of us have seen it in hand.

That said, on another day I think it could pull a 7.0 or 7.5.

Incidentally, what grade were you expecting when you subbed the book?

7.0 if all the defects I see are on the book and not the slab; 7.5 otherwise.

I submitted my guess without reading the whole thread first. Here’s what I see:

Back – what’s that blemish on the upper left edge? URC soft. LLC tiny bend. LRC looks like the book took a drop, not just blunted. Left edge – what’s going on across from the “23 Lessons” box? AS tear? A ding? LLC – color breaking crease in the “Free Trial Coupon” box?

Front –URC CB crease and a tear or second tiny CBC. CB ding between “N” and issue number box? CB ding inder “M” in “Men”? CB crease by upper staple, almost looks like a slight fold. CB cease by Thor’s butt. LLC looks dinged (from a drop?). LRC soft.

As far as CGC “getting it wrong,” several folks thought it looked like a 7.0. 6.5 isn’t that far off, especially since none of us have seen it in hand.

That said, on another day I think it could pull a 7.0 or 7.5.

Incidentally, what grade were you expecting when you subbed the book?

Hoping for the 8.0 wanted to settle for a 7.5. 6.5 disappointed me.

bigger

fnh5bq.jpg

2q1cmx2.jpg

WEBHEAD

Yeah, I must say, after reading the thread and then looking at the bigger scans, it does look like a 7.0/7.5 to me. Is there something going on inside?

The inside was perfect. no stains no tears... so you can see my concern. And with no grader notes it's a mystery. I've been asked to bring it to NYC in Oct.

WEBHEAD