• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CONTEST: How many of these books can you identify?

137 posts in this topic

Below is a picture of a wall in my shop. Directly below that is a link to the same image at twice the size. I didn't want to put a 16-inch image in the thread since not everyone has a monitor that big and it's a pain to stretch the screen.

There are 102 books visible in the image. Twenty-eight on the top three rows and eighteen on the bottom row. I blacked out the five or six statues in front of the bottom row...

How many of these books can you identify?

I'll run the contest for a week. First person to name each book correctly gets credit for that book. If you know the title but not the issue number, that gets half credit (and the other half will be awarded to whomever gets the issue number correct, if anyone). But to prevent this from just being a contest of who replies first, you can only get credit for 5 books per day. You list more than that, and someone else will get the credit. If you know a book that you think everyone does, reply quickly. If you know a book that no one else does you may want to wait and give some easy answers first... smile.gif

First place gets $75 (cover price) of free trade paperbacks, your choice of regular trades that Diamond has in stock.

Second place gets $25 of trades.

Ties will be broken by who got to the total first. (If two people both get 12, it's who got the 12th book first).

And I will award a special prize to the participant who names the most obscure books (ie Pov, you better not lose this category).

"Days" end at midnight Pacific. I'll start you off with two freebies... The first book on the second row from the top is Silver Surfer 1, and the sixth book on the third row from the top is Hulk 1.

And yes, I know that many of the books on the left will be nearly impossible. But collectors of Golden and Atom Age stuff will be able to get several of the titles, if not the issues...

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Hasn't dis already been tried? crazy.gif

First things first. A Moderator for this game must be chosen. It cannot be a CGC staff member (for reasons youll learn later) Id suggest someone who has been on these boards for quite some time and is very well respected. Next, have the moderator select a date for the start of this contest....say in 2 months time. Now, a thread should be started for everyone who is willing to participate in this game, to sign up on. A simple YES will suffice as a reply.

On to the next part. On the date of the start of the game the moderator will announce a comic book title and issue number. The book will be ANY comic book published by DC or Marvel comics (to keep it mainstream) published after 1975. Any comic book is allowed, however, do to the nature of this game, a cheaper, non-key book is recommended.

Now, for the main part of the game. As a player, your job is to go out and find the "best" copy of the book announced by the moderator. Whether it is currently part of your collection, or you must purchase it, the copy must be Non-CGC'd. Your task is to send it in to CGC yourself for grading. (the reason i had suggested a cheaper book before is to keep anyone from purchasing a currently high grade CGC book and resubmitting it. The cost would be just way to high for this game, plus it may not recieve that same grade as we have all come to realize.)

Once the moderator starts the contest, a closing date of say 4-6 months should be suggested and decided upon. That should be sufficent time for everyone to find, submit, and have the comic returned to them. Now once your book has been returned you MUST post a clear picture of the book AND grade, as well as a CLOSEUP of the serial number. Since this forum is on the CGC website and we have many of their staff as forum members, it is a factor that can help us keep this game legitimate. That is the reason i suggest providing pics of serial numbers, so that the staff members can look up all the submitted numbers and ensure that the particular book in question was sent in for grading between the date of the contest and is not a book graded years ago that someone just bought.

Ok, now on to the second step. Once all the grades have been recieved and posted on a moderator started thread by the deadline, a winner shall be chosen. HOWEVER.......the game aint over yet. Since this game may entail many board members odds are that we may have a tie......or a many person tie. (ex: 15 ppl with 9.8s') NOW, on to the most absurd part of this game. If only a single person has the best book, he wins alone, and if 15 ppl win then they all move on to the next round......however the losers, theyre in trouble. EVERYONE who did not win the game OR move on to the next round must CRACK OPEN THE CASE OF THEIR SUBMITTED BOOK. Again, a clear picture of the opened case AND a pic of the label ripped in half (still visible) must be taken and sent to another post started by the moderator for the losers in order to prove they are following the rules.

In the most likely scenario that the game is a tie, all the remaining players will start the game afresh, following the same rules as before. The moderator will choose another comic and the next game will begin. The field of competion will obviously be reduced, increasing your odds. The game will be played until a new deadline where a winner or another multi-player tie is decided upon. This cycle will continue until there is only one remaining forum member.

There is another catch though. This game may go on for months if not a year before a winner appears. It may go 5 or 6 rounds for all we know. Those members who make it to the second round and lose, not only have to break open the case of their current submission, but also for the case from the first round. And so on. So in reality, lets say you make it to a 5th or 6th round before you lose. You now MUST destroy every previous submission you went on to the next round with and send in pictures as proof of destruction.

Oh and one other thing...

If you have been to a regular comic book shop that typically has a better wall than this, please let me know where it is so I can add it to my list of places to visit... There are still some out there, but not very many, and I like to visit as many of them as I can... thumbsup2.gif

Nice wall!

Uhm...

There wouldn't be a low grade (but 100% complete and in one piece) Fantastic Four 2 on there would there?

I didn't see any FFs at all. gossip.gif

As I came here late and I have better things to do, here's my 3 responses. Dunno if anyone answered it or not!

Row 1 - 9 - Amazing Spider-man 102

Row 3 - 16 - Amazing Spider-man 5

Row 3 - 13 - Tales of Suspense 45

Nice wall, but how about putting them in alphabetical order some time tongue.gifgrin.gif

Allow me to recommend some fine books on marketing... smile.gif

So what's the idea? Is it so that someone looking for something specific has to scan the entire wall, and in the process may find something else of interest?

Nice wall, but how about putting them in alphabetical order some time tongue.gifgrin.gif

Allow me to recommend some fine books on marketing... smile.gif

So what's the idea? Is it so that someone looking for something specific has to scan the entire wall, and in the process may find something else of interest?

Yup...he said that a while back! smile.gif

Man getting here late sucks.

My first

Row 1, book 14 ASM #77

Row 3, book 8 X-men #2

Row 1, book 8 Adventure Comics #321

Row 1, book 5 Showcase #61

Row 1, book 15 ASM #92

grin.gif

news.gif

2nd row (from the bottom) position 3 = Detective 291

2nd row (from the bottom) position 15 = Detective 298

2nd row (from the bottom) position 4 = Batman 141

news.gif

oh, and

2nd row (from the bottom) position 5 = Batman 113 acclaim.gif

news.gif

oh, and

2nd row (from the bottom) position 5 = Batman 113 acclaim.gif

amazing what you can find when you stop looking too hard:

3rd row (from the bottom) position 15 = Batman 237

Row 3 #18 Tales of Horror #10

Row 2 #18 Mysterious Stories #2

Row 2 #21 Web of Mystery #?

Row 1 #19 Weird Mysteries??

Row 1 #24 Realistic Romances??? (It looks like some Avon title of that vintage--I think I need that photo enhancement software they're always using in the movies) tongue.gif

OK, let's rack up some 1/2 pointers because it's hard to keep track of which issues have been ID'd already...

Top row

#1 My Greatest Adventures

#2 Green Lantern #33 (previously ID'd)

#3 X-Men

#4 Green Lantern

#5 Showcase #61 (previously ID'd)

#6 Action #266 (he goes for the full point!!)

#7 Green Lantern

#8 Adventure

#9 Amazing Spider-Man

#10 Glare city

Just a brief update. Later tonight I plan to post a new pic with markings to show which books have already been identified...

There are still a couple of pretty easy ones that people haven't named... smile.gif