• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CONTEST: How many of these books can you identify?

137 posts in this topic

Okay got another one:

Row 2, book 8 Batman #213

Row 1, book 11 Avengers #22

my eyes hurt 893whatthe.gif

Isn't Avengers #22 correct?

Maybe you reached your 5 answer per day limit and didn't get credit for it! crazy.gif

That was Deathlok's post I quoted. He has only 1 point. So he's being robbed of 50% of his total! Give the guy a break! smile.gif

House double check my two posts, i think you might have missed some.

I posted earlier in the thread that I am not counting "edits"... otherwise someone can just go back and claim books well after the fact. The only version of posts I am counting are my email replies...

Your first two posts were:

Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 00:16:34 -0500 (EST)

deathlok replied in a thread you have selected as one of your favorites at the site:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=358701

Man getting here late sucks.

My first

Row 1, book 14 ASM #77

and

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 01:02:24 -0500 (EST)

deathlok replied in a thread you have selected as one of your favorites at the site:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=359914

Okay got another one:

You got credit for the Batman, but Cicamen had already named the ASM 77...

Anything else you may have added later as an edit, I haven't read... I only read the email replies... since otherwise people like Joanna and sborock are liable to try to cheat... smile.gif

OK, let's rack up some 1/2 pointers because it's hard to keep track of which issues have been ID'd already...

Top row

#1 My Greatest Adventures

#2 Green Lantern #33 (previously ID'd)

#3 X-Men

#4 Green Lantern

#5 Showcase #61 (previously ID'd)

#6 Action #266 (he goes for the full point!!)

#7 Green Lantern

#8 Adventure

#9 Amazing Spider-Man

#10 Glare city

I nailed the Action #266, so give me full credit please.

Action266VG.jpg

Donut had already named it as an Action... but you do get the 1/2pt for the issue number. It will be added in the next update... smile.gif

You mean that isn't X-Men #103 in row 4, spot 3? Someone ID'd it. Sure looks like #103 to me.

Yep. Someone did... but that someone already had 5 points for that day... smile.gif

Okay got another one:

I'm replying to these in order... but as I said... I am not counting edits... so I hadn't even read that...

Okay got another one:

Maybe you reached your 5 answer per day limit and didn't get credit for it! crazy.gif

That was Deathlok's post I quoted. He has only 1 point. So he's being robbed of 50% of his total! Give the guy a break! smile.gif

Well since two other people have quoted it and no one else gave it, Deathlok gets credit for the Avengers 22... tongue.gif

But no edits! smile.gif

OK, let's rack up some 1/2 pointers because it's hard to keep track of which issues have been ID'd already...

Top row

#1 My Greatest Adventures

#2 Green Lantern #33 (previously ID'd)

#3 X-Men

#4 Green Lantern

#5 Showcase #61 (previously ID'd)

#6 Action #266 (he goes for the full point!!)

#7 Green Lantern

#8 Adventure

#9 Amazing Spider-Man

#10 Glare city

I nailed the Action #266, so give me full credit please.

Action266VG.jpg

Donut had already named it as an Action... but you do get the 1/2pt for the issue number. It will be added in the next update... smile.gif

Aha, I hadn't seen FD's loser guess. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I'll have to settle for just the 1/2pt then. 893frustrated.gif

Ok...

X-Men #103 in row 4, spot 3

devil.gif

Ok... I went back to double-check what I had awarded on that book... Here's what happened...

Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 19:16:34 -0500 (EST)

WillFury replied in a thread you have selected as one of your favorites at the site:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=358299

Row 2 Book 3: X-Men 56

Row 2 Book 5: X-Men 54

Row 4 Book 2: X-Men 113

Row 4 Book 3: X-Men 103

Row 4 Book 4: X-Men 101

and then at some point after that, his post became:

Re: CONTEST: How many of these books can you identify? [Re: lighthouse]

#358299 - 01/08/04 04:16 PM

Edit   Reply   Quote  

Row 2 Book 3: X-Men 56

Row 2 Book 5: X-Men 54

Row 4 Book 2: X-Men 104

Row 4 Book 3: X-Men 103

Row 4 Book 4: X-Men 101

--------------------

A lot of tape and a little patience make all the difference!

Apparently when I credited the half-point to Willfury on the X-Men 113 guess (which oldguy later correctly named), I only credited half on the 103 as well. The fact that he tried to change his answer on the 104 doesn't mean he should have lost credit for the 103... So he should have been at 4 1/2 after the first day, and another 1 pt after the ASM 58 book for a total of 5 1/2 at the time I last ran the standings...

Sorry about that Willfury. I have you down for 5.5 pts (plus whatever you got after the update)...

No problem House. I did notice, however, that I named ASM 83 in post #358392 at 8:19pm on the first day of the contest, and yet you don't have it blotted out? Was my guess incorrect? I'm scrapin' for that final half-point from day 1. cool.gif

Hmmm. Last attempt at guessing titles-only didn't work out so well.

How about...

bottom row

position 15 True Secrets

2nd row from bottom

position 27 Falling in Love

Hey, maybe we stumbled onto House's secret formula: Wanna increase the foot traffic at your LCS of exotic dancers and Goth princesses? Romance Wall Books! thumbsup2.gif

Hey, maybe we stumbled onto House's secret formula: Wanna increase the foot traffic at your LCS of exotic dancers and Goth princesses? Romance Wall Books! thumbsup2.gif

No... that's what the Johnny The Homicidal Maniac books are for... devil.gif

There is, however, a VERY good reason why I always have 10-20 Pre-Code Romances on my wall... even though they guide for [!@#%^&^] and they almost never sell... It is highly likely that the wife of a collector will outlive the collector himself. And when the woman in her sixties comes into my shop to scope the place out before asking me if I buy collections, the Pre-Code Romances on the wall ALWAYS put her in a better mood about selling books to me. She likes to see that the comics she may have read as a child are given such a place of honor. And those books help defuse some of the "Comic Book Guy" preconceptions she brings with her through the door. The fact that I always have friendly and polite teenage girls behind the counter only reinforces the positive feelings...

Madness? Perhaps... But there be method in it... sumo.gif

There is, however, a VERY good reason why I always have 10-20 Pre-Code Romances on my wall... even though they guide for [!@#%^&^] and they almost never sell... It is highly likely that the wife of a collector will outlive the collector himself. And when the woman in her sixties comes into my shop to scope the place out before asking me if I buy collections, the Pre-Code Romances on the wall ALWAYS put her in a better mood about selling books to me. She likes to see that the comics she may have read as a child are given such a place of honor. And those books help defuse some of the "Comic Book Guy" preconceptions she brings with her through the door. The fact that I always have friendly and polite teenage girls behind the counter only reinforces the positive feelings...

I think that's the most informative post I've ever read. I thought I had a devious streak, but I guess you bricks-and-mortar comic book guys can put us all to shame. Of course, if you want to reinforce the image, you could put bigger, more colourful price stickers on these books than on the regular ones that actually sell, then when her eyes glance at them she'll hopefully get the idea that hubbies collection isn't really worth that much after all, just in time for your knockout offer.

I think that's the most informative post I've ever read.

Yeah, that 'House has a real knack for ruining perfectly good threads here with his actual facts, informed opinions, and first-hand experiences. mad.gifsumo.gif