• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CONTEST: How many of these books can you identify?

137 posts in this topic

With being cooped up for several days unable to work, I found myself going through a few gigs of old images on my computer... I came across a few shots of my store from a couple years ago, and I decided to have a little contest around one...

Below is a picture of a wall in my shop. Directly below that is a link to the same image at twice the size. I didn't want to put a 16-inch image in the thread since not everyone has a monitor that big and it's a pain to stretch the screen.

There are 102 books visible in the image. Twenty-eight on the top three rows and eighteen on the bottom row. I blacked out the five or six statues in front of the bottom row...

How many of these books can you identify?

I'll run the contest for a week. First person to name each book correctly gets credit for that book. If you know the title but not the issue number, that gets half credit (and the other half will be awarded to whomever gets the issue number correct, if anyone). But to prevent this from just being a contest of who replies first, you can only get credit for 5 books per day. You list more than that, and someone else will get the credit. If you know a book that you think everyone does, reply quickly. If you know a book that no one else does you may want to wait and give some easy answers first... smile.gif

First place gets $75 (cover price) of free trade paperbacks, your choice of regular trades that Diamond has in stock.

Second place gets $25 of trades.

Ties will be broken by who got to the total first. (If two people both get 12, it's who got the 12th book first).

And I will award a special prize to the participant who names the most obscure books (ie Pov, you better not lose this category).

"Days" end at midnight Pacific. I'll start you off with two freebies... The first book on the second row from the top is Silver Surfer 1, and the sixth book on the third row from the top is Hulk 1.

And yes, I know that many of the books on the left will be nearly impossible. But collectors of Golden and Atom Age stuff will be able to get several of the titles, if not the issues...

Good luck... smile.gif

contestsm.jpg

Link to bigger picture...

Oh and one other thing...

If you have been to a regular comic book shop that typically has a better wall than this, please let me know where it is so I can add it to my list of places to visit... There are still some out there, but not very many, and I like to visit as many of them as I can... thumbsup2.gif

Only 3 CGC books on the wall????893naughty-thumb.gif

Now my mom won't let me shop there!

Geez, they ARE red label... it's not like this picture was taken yesterday... stooges.gif

Back then every CGC book was selling for 20x guide so I sold them as fast as I could... Those three were "samples" of CGC grading so I could pay 10c on the dollar... I think the highest grade of the three is a 7.5 smile.gif

WOW! 893whatthe.gif looks like you're one of the comic stores i'd like to visit sometime. laugh.gif i know all the comics/answers but i'm not going to play. gossip.gifpopcorn.gif

Then could you PM me a cheat sheet of the ones on the left? My memory is a little fuzzy on those and I don't want to dig through my sales records... smile.gif

Nice wall, but how about putting them in alphabetical order some time tongue.gifgrin.gif

Allow me to recommend some fine books on marketing... smile.gif

Four replies and no one even guesses the easy ones? 893whatthe.gif

Only 3 CGC books on the wall????893naughty-thumb.gif

Now my mom won't let me shop there!

Geez, they ARE red label... it's not like this picture was taken yesterday... stooges.gif

Back then every CGC book was selling for 20x guide so I sold them as fast as I could... Those three were "samples" of CGC grading so I could pay 10c on the dollar... I think the highest grade of the three is a 7.5 smile.gif

Oh blush.gif in that case, mom says it's o.k. for me to shop there 27_laughing.gif

Oh and PLEASE POST YOUR ANSWERS... don't PM me... I don't want to get into a he-said-she-said about who PM'd me first... 893naughty-thumb.gif

Oops!

Okay, 4th row

Book 6: Wonder Woman 84

Book 7: Wonder Woman 51

Book 8: Wonder Woman 38

Too slow on the 101 there OG... smile.gif

And for those keeping track at home, I get email replies to the thread, so don't bother trying to edit your post after the fact... smile.gif