• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Buy the book, not the label": A visual demonstration...

93 posts in this topic

Wow, your beautiful FF#13 got jack-hammered compared to this eBay CGC 9.2. Maybe it's something a "NM" can't technically have, but what a huge difference between "NM minus" books, when you can see visible stain-lines from across the room. :screwy:

Hmmmmm...you're making me want to resubmit. :shy: Either Haspel isn't as hard on minor staining as Borock was, or they just automatically bump books down to certain levels if they have a certain amount of stains. My FF #13 was originally graded in 2001, then resubmitted in 2003--any idea when your DD Annual 1 was graded? :wishluck:

Its not mine, just a book listed on eBay I was shocked by. Probably is foxing instead of moisture. I just saw the multiple tidelines/big number combo, thought wtf?.

Double wtf???, when seeing yours of the same "grade". :o

That Daredevil has foxing which is graded differently than water staining. Overstreet and CGC allow a lot more foxing than they do staining in higher grades.

Hmm. What's the highest-graded example anyone's seen with plainly visible foxing? hm

I think Overstreet allows a small amount in 9.4.

I also think that Daredevil wouldn't get the same grade the 2nd time around.

Here's the CGC 7.0 X-Men #135 I cracked out a while back:

Is the problem visible in the scan, or do you have to tell us what's wrong with it?

As far as I, and the boardies here that saw it in the Please Grade My section think, nothing is wrong with it as far as to make it a 7.0 - I and most others think 8.0-8.5 is more reasonable.

That's why I cracked it out. It is now proudly sitting in a Mylar with the rest of my X-Men.

:grin:

-slym

It had an indentation on the edge of the back cover, most likely from a string or an elastic band that was holding it in a bundle with other copies. It was pretty deep. Also, there was quite a bit of ink transfer on the back, which tells me that it was stacked with other copies for quite a while. Other than that, it was flawless.

In retrospect, do you now think most of that damage was reversible via pressing?

There were attempts to press that book after I sold it, and they were unsuccessful. I guess it was a little too deep.

I regret selling it, only because I'll probably never find a copy that presents as nicely for the price I paid.

How much of your collection do you have left?

My previous collection? Only one book. I've added a few since, so I guess you could say I'm collecting again. I'm just going a lot slower.

now that its gone any regrets?

...well I do but since I can't afford 9.4 or better on these books (and some don't even exist in those grades) I've learned to compromise with myself.

:insane:

I actually have to push hard to get past any defects...especially for SA Marvels because to me they really need to be high grade for some reason.

I'm such an elitist.

:slapfight:

I'm sensing some unresolved morals here that will inevitably lead to inner conflict. :slapfight: How can a perfectionist high-grade Marvel guy possibly co-exist in the same consciousness with a "low grade is fine as long as it's complete and clean!" guy? :screwy:

It had an indentation on the edge of the back cover, most likely from a string or an elastic band that was holding it in a bundle with other copies. It was pretty deep. Also, there was quite a bit of ink transfer on the back, which tells me that it was stacked with other copies for quite a while. Other than that, it was flawless.

In retrospect, do you now think most of that damage was reversible via pressing?

There were attempts to press that book after I sold it, and they were unsuccessful. I guess it was a little too deep.

I regret selling it, only because I'll probably never find a copy that presents as nicely for the price I paid.

My previous collection? Only one book. I've added a few since, so I guess you could say I'm collecting again. I'm just going a lot slower.

Nope. Made a nice chunk of change that's helping me pay for Law School. The good thing about collecting ASMs is that, for the most part, they're really easy to replace.

Nope. Made a nice chunk of change that's helping me pay for Law School. The good thing about collecting ASMs is that, for the most part, they're really easy to replace.

Unfortunately, law degrees are more common than HG ASM. :whistle:

Yep.

vbang.gif

Why would foxing be more allowable in higher grades than a lesser amount of staining? Foxing is a fungus (or mold or spore or whatever type of organism it is) and gets worse if it isn't cleaned off. ???

Yep.

vbang.gif

But luckily for you guys, lying, cheating, thieving, murdering narcissist prima donnas are FAR more numerous than high-grade Spidey collectors. ^^

Why would foxing be more allowable in higher grades than a lesser amount of staining? Foxing is a fungus (or mold or spore or whatever type of organism it is) and gets worse if it isn't cleaned off. ???

No idea.

...well I do but since I can't afford 9.4 or better on these books (and some don't even exist in those grades) I've learned to compromise with myself.

:insane:

I actually have to push hard to get past any defects...especially for SA Marvels because to me they really need to be high grade for some reason.

I'm such an elitist.

:slapfight:

I'm sensing some unresolved morals here that will inevitably lead to inner conflict. :slapfight: How can a perfectionist high-grade Marvel guy possibly co-exist in the same consciousness with a "low grade is fine as long as it's complete and clean!" guy? :screwy:

The only conflict is the one with my wallet.

:pullhair:

I basically dropped out of SA Marvels for just that reason. I love them but can't afford to buy what I really want so I just decided to put on a different hat for a while and focus on my JIM Thor run of #83 to about 100. These books are sufficiently tough enough to find in grade that even an 8.0 is considered a triumph for most issues.

The only exceptions are the odd key that catches my eye like the AA #1 and stuff like that.

My main focus now is early GA and since VF is highest grade for many of those it's helped me adapt.

JR --

I can't answer your question about the foxing, but boy is it nice to see that FF 13 again. Maybe technically it'll always be a 9.2 to CGC, but I can't imagine a nicer copy to look at in all the land...such a toughie in high grade, too.

If you can, shoot me a PM about how your FF collection is coming along! I'd love to hear the details -- or are you in the registry?

Thanks,

Dan

JR --

I can't answer your question about the foxing, but boy is it nice to see that FF 13 again. Maybe technically it'll always be a 9.2 to CGC, but I can't imagine a nicer copy to look at in all the land...such a toughie in high grade, too.

If you can, shoot me a PM about how your FF collection is coming along! I'd love to hear the details -- or are you in the registry?

Thanks,

Dan

Rare sighting!

:applause:

Two old timers talking about the good old days!

:kidaround:

My main focus now is early GA and since VF is highest grade for many of those it's helped me adapt.

Doesn't the odd Church or San Francisco book that pops up in some insanely well-preserved state bring your inner perfectionist scratching and clawing back to the surface? :tonofbricks:

Doesn't the odd Church or San Francisco book that pops up in some insanely well-preserved state bring your inner perfectionist scratching and clawing back to the surface? :tonofbricks:

Damn you to hell for trying to awaken that!

Yes it does...and I owned a Church copy of one of my favorite GA covers...until a police detective from NYC contacted me to tell me it was stolen.

Then I had to return it.

:cry:

It was incredible. Have you ever seen or held a nice Church or San Fran? It's almost freakish.

It was incredible. Have you ever seen or held a nice Church or San Fran? It's almost freakish.

Nope, just seen them via scans. I'm sure whenever Haspel sees one it's like being used to seeing nothing but fat and old people on a nude beach and having Kelly Brook make an appearance. :luhv:

I owned a Church copy of one of my favorite GA covers...until a police detective from NYC contacted me to tell me it was stolen.

There already a thread about this? How did the detective find you, and were you able to get your money back?