• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Terrible news concerning nik.

623 posts in this topic

Happy to assist with this, need to make sure of any estate issues etc. some coordination with his wife is probably a good idea -- if you need any help, you know how to reach me Jim.

In behalf of Nik, his family and friends we thank you Brian.

I'd like to talk to Jim (Watson) and see what's going on -- next, I want to talk to everyone in Chicago about coordination and what we can do. going to extend my time there so I can see some people and talk -- as well attend the forum dinner -- and hopefully we'll have some plan in place by then.

Let us know what we can do on our end to help.

In August of 2007, I decided to go to my first real con outside of my home city of Toronto. It was Chicago, and I rented a sport ute and went for a 10 hour drive with fellow boardies Drew, Roy and Louise. I had no idea that it was going to turn out into one of the smartest things I had ever done in my life.

Somehow we had decided to stay at the Courtyard Marriot. The Friday night after the show, Roy and I went back to the hotel and hung out in the Courtyard portion for a Marlboro, and we heard a voice calling "Roy, Roy" we both looked up and even though I didn't know who they were, Roy did. It was Arex, Nik and Danny, Roy told me. I was immediately intimadated. These were Board Legends, 70,000 posts between the 3 of them, while I was sitting at 500 posts for the past year. They then proceeded to come down to the Courtyard area, beers in hand. From the moment those guys introduced themselves to me, we became brothers, inseperable at any Convention and on the boards since. Our lives forever changed. If something happened to one of us, it happened to all of us. It was a bond that was created the day we met and will carry on forever.

Me in the middle of my two big brothers I never had, there might not be any blood between us but that doesn't mean we would not do anything for each other (worship)

NikandDoc.jpg

Jim

Something's been eating away at me for the last 2 days and I need to get this off of my chest.

Don't let it eat at you, Shark. Sometimes on a message board, what you are feeling when you post something is misconstrued. Compound that with the sorrow and disbelief running through this thread and misunderstandings can certainly occur. I don' think there was anything that requires you to apologize. Just keep positive thoughts. :foryou:

And on the subject of positive thoughts, I see the ocassional past tense for Nik but we should keep positive thoughts, hard as that may be.

In August of 2007, I decided to go to my first real con outside of my home city of Toronto. It was Chicago, and I rented a sport ute and went for a 10 hour drive with fellow boardies Drew, Roy and Louise. I had no idea that it was going to turn out into one of the smartest things I had ever done in my life.

Somehow we had decided to stay at the Courtyard Marriot. The Friday night after the show, Roy and I went back to the hotel and hung out in the Courtyard portion for a Marlboro, and we heard a voice calling "Roy, Roy" we both looked up and even though I didn't know who they were, Roy did. It was Arex, Nik and Danny, Roy told me. I was immediately intimadated. These were Board Legends, 70,000 posts between the 3 of them, while I was sitting at 500 posts for the past year. They then proceeded to come down to the Courtyard area, beers in hand. From the moment those guys introduced themselves to me, we became brothers, inseperable at any Convention and on the boards since. Our lives forever changed. If something happened to one of us, it happened to all of us. It was a bond that was created the day we met and will carry on forever.

Me in the middle of my two big brothers I never had, there might not be any blood between us but that doesn't mean we would not do anything for each other (worship)

NikandDoc.jpg

Jim

Jim's lying.

It was a mini van not a sport ute.

:makepoint:

That was an awesome time. I remember sitting in the courtyard outside around that patio tables in the evenings, having a tall cool one, talking about comics and loving every second of it.

From that trip I also remember the following fondly:

Bumping into Arex and Nik on the con floor for the first time ever. I know I met many more members that day but my memory is weak now a days.

Arex throwing me my recentely purchased JIM 118 from his second story balcony into a set of bushes. :roflmao:

I remember specifically being in Shoeless Joes for dinner, and me trying to be a bit of a class clown walking along the bar stool tops to get to my spot. I looked over and there was Nik, rolling his eyes and then dropped his head into his hands laughing saying something comical.

Louise and I coming home every night at 1 or 2 am after some sight seeing and meeting Nik alone in the courtyard where he would just enjoy the evening for a few minutes before hitting the sack. We'd talk for a bit before we all went off to bed.

As Jim says, that trip was a turning point and our "loss of innocence".

Lou and I will always fondly remember that trip.

(thumbs u

NikandDoc.jpg

Jim

Having been at the lunch where this picture was taken (last year's NYCC), I can attest to the friendship you all shared from an outsider's perspective. I was just e-mailing with a buddy of mine and fellow boardie, who was also at that lunch, that you could just tell that these guys had a level of friendship that you just don't often see in adults of that age. I honestly thought you guys had been friends for years! My heart really goes out to you guys and all of his family!

Something's been eating away at me for the last 2 days and I need to get this off of my chest.

Don't let it eat at you, Shark. Sometimes on a message board, what you are feeling when you post something is misconstrued. Compound that with the sorrow and disbelief running through this thread and misunderstandings can certainly occur. I don' think there was anything that requires you to apologize. Just keep positive thoughts. :foryou:

And on the subject of positive thoughts, I see the ocassional past tense for Nik but we should keep positive thoughts, hard as that may be.

^^

I just came across this terrible news and I sit here stunned and saddened.

I actually sat here contemplating how to put down in words how heart-wrenching this is, I feel that I am still a noob on these boards and how could I possibly say anything to honor a legend like Nik.

I only know Nik from the boards and some dealings we had, which were always pleasant. However I always watched the banter and the advice he would put forth and I feel I got to know him as person that way.

I only wish I had more nerve to participate in some of the conversations that himself and some of the "elder statesman" of the boards always had going on.

Nik, you are loved and will be missed.

ο Θεός να σε ευλογεί

Angelo just clued me in on what happened. I've been MIA for a while.

This is terrible, heart wrenching news. My heart goes out to Nik and his family. I'll be happy to contribute to anything to assist his wife and kids. I met Nik at one of the Boston WW shows and he was a great, great guy.

The world and these boards will be lesser places in his absence. May his passing be peaceful. Nik and his family will be in my thoughts.

--Steve

I am at a loss for words as I am in shock and can barely type through my tears but wanted those who care about Nik to know

I just spoke with Nik's brother Harry and he informed me Nik will pass away shortly, it is only a matter of time. I wish I misunderstood him, but I didn't.

He said if anyone wanted to pay a visit to do so now as he does not know if it will be hours or days, he said it is only a matter of time.

I don't know what else to say except I love Nik and may he find peace.

No change with Niky. He is still breathing on his own.

Sorry to ask questions about this right now, but did anyone indicate if that is a good sign at all that he is breathing on his own?

:wishluck:

No change with Niky. He is still breathing on his own.

Sorry to ask questions about this right now, but did anyone indicate if that is a good sign at all that he is breathing on his own?

:wishluck:

He has been breathing on his own all along. However, his breathing is shallow.