• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The nik contribution thread.

172 posts in this topic

Please hang on to them until they are sold. No point in double shipping.

I'm working on trying to get the VCC space to hold the auctions. They will start Tuesday night, in either case and run till Sunday.

Anyone making a contribution of books or other comic related items, kindly get me the information by Sunday evening, I hope to spend Monday, putting it all together.

Thanks again!

The NOD extends our deepest regret to Nik and his family during this very difficult time. The NOD sent a donation as Nik did for us when we needed it. We are all very saddened by this bad news. :(

And comix4fun is one such board member, and a model of generosity and human kindness that others should aspire to replicate. comix4fun intends to auction off a store purchase in hopes of doing as much good for Nik and his family.

Most of the credit goes to you for donating the proceeds from your store sales.

I am just paying it forward. It's what Nik would do in the same situation.

C

Kudos to both of you for doing this for Nik and his family (worship)

Not enough can be said about Josephs gesture. I felt somewhat guilty picking out a book from his site today knowing I was going to get a nice comic and he would get nothing. But I had my Chicago money to spend, and I did on his site considering the cause.

So I think we will bake and send him some cookies. Everybody likes cookies, right?

Or would customs sniff those out and eat them at the station. :(

Kenny, I'm sorry I wasn't able to call like I said. I'll make a point of doing that early next week.

As for feeling guilty, you needn't feel that way. There is an incredible feeling of happiness that comes from doing things that you know can make a difference in the lives of others. I'm not a man of means, but I have my health and of those I love most (thanks to God) and that is all that really matters to me.

One of the best stories I ever heard, and one that truly inspires me to do charitable and random acts of kindness, involved my now deceased Father-In-Law (God Bless his soul). For many years, and whenever I would visit my In-Laws place, I would notice food products that I knew were not the kinds of things they would normally buy. They were imported goods (mainly from Italy) that you would only find in gourmet shops. It wasn't that they couldn't afford them, but they had always lived a modest lifestyle and means. All they would tell me is that they were given to them from a friend of the family that would drop them off on their front steps regularly.

It wasn't until after my Father-In-Law passed-away that the story was retold to me, and would explain why this friend of the family continued to give my In-Laws these gifts. When this friend of the family was a young boy, his Father had died rather suddenly and tragically. The family was devastated both emotionally and financially. My Father-In-Law knew this family, and when he had heard they had trouble covering costs after the young boys Father had passed, he went door-to-door around the neighbourhood, collecting whatever donations he could. The remarkable part of the story is that he did this in an immigrant working-class community during very tough times, and yet somehow, he managed to help raise enough money to make a difference in this family's life. To this day, this friend of the family never forgot the gesture of kindness shown towards his family.

In this Internet age, scanning some books and posting them to raise money seems hardly the task it once was. I guess in a way, you could say that when I am able to do good, it just allows the fond memories I have of my Father-In-Law to live on.

Kenny, I'm sorry I wasn't able to call like I said. I'll make a point of doing that early next week.

As for feeling guilty, you needn't feel that way. There is an incredible feeling of happiness that comes from doing things that you know can make a difference in the lives of others. I'm not a man of means, but I have my health and of those I love most (thanks to God) and that is all that really matters to me.

One of the best stories I ever heard, and one that truly inspires me to do charitable and random acts of kindness, involved my now deceased Father-In-Law (God Bless his soul). For many years, and whenever I would visit my In-Laws place, I would notice food products that I knew were not the kinds of things they would normally buy. They were imported goods (mainly from Italy) that you would only find in gourmet shops. It wasn't that they couldn't afford them, but they had always lived a modest lifestyle and means. All they would tell me is that they were given to them from a friend of the family that would drop them off on their front steps regularly.

It wasn't until after my Father-In-Law passed-away that the story was retold to me, and would explain why this friend of the family continued to give my In-Laws these gifts. When this friend of the family was a young boy, his Father had died rather suddenly and tragically. The family was devastated both emotionally and financially. My Father-In-Law knew this family, and when he had heard they had trouble covering costs after the young boys Father had passed, he went door-to-door around the neighbourhood, collecting whatever donations he could. The remarkable part of the story is that he did this in an immigrant working-class community during very tough times, and yet somehow, he managed to help raise enough money to make a difference in this family's life. To this day, this friend of the family never forgot the gesture of kindness shown towards his family.

In this Internet age, scanning some books and posting them to raise money seems hardly the task it once was. I guess in a way, you could say that when I am able to do good, it just allows the fond memories I have of my Father-In-Law to live on.

You sir are a class act.

Is it any book on your site or Just specific ones?

I assume it's US funds correct?

Thanks also to JiveTurkeyMoFo for his generosity - the outpouring of support shown during this fund raising effort has truly been a humbling experience.

If anyone is humbled, its the rest of us, as we see a fellow Forumite willing to donate the proceeds from his online store for the benefit of Nik's family. (worship) (worship)

If anyone deserves any Kudos, its you Joseph. :applause:

small paypal donation sent... Wish it could be more.

I am going to try to wrangle up some more funds over the next few days so I can make a buy in the charity auction

:(

Hey if a 100 people donate 20 dollars each that's 2000 dollars for Nik and his family , it's all good .

I don't spend much time here anymore. I don't know Nik nearly as well as some, but have had the pleasure to share a couple of meals and good conversations with him at the Baltimore con as well as a couple of pleasant transactions. We sometimes chat via PM as well.

This sad situation has hit me very hard as well... more than I expected. Life is so fragile. Like Andrew (COI) I also have a large chip of outrage on my shoulder that one of the most generous, good-hearted guys we all enjoy sharing time with in this hobby has to be the one to receive this blow. I know it's not right to think this... but I can't help but think of a few of the really bad seeds in this hobby that I would have been ok with taking this bullet instead of Nik. I know that sounds harsh... but I've known more than a few really good people in my life so far that got the short end while unworthy creeps still draw breath. It doesn't seem right. Sorry for that.

I want to take the opportunity to tell Nik's wife and family that it only took a short time for me to realize he is one of those rare people that "is" and does not have to "try" to be... a great man, admired by all.

I also want to say to the boards in general... that I'm extremely proud of the way our community rises to the occasion when one of our own suffers misfortune. We rose long ago to help Rick and Joanna when they were in need... and now Nik's family. It's awe inspriing.

The people in our hobby are really what makes it as special and as fun as it is... the comics are a smaller part of it than most realize. I'm touched at the level of character and generosity displayed here. I have never witnessed any community, small or large, anywhere else... as tight as ours when push comes to shove. We may be dysfunctional at times and seem petty and juvenile in some of the disagreements we all have from time to time... but, by God... what a group of quality people. Again... I'm very proud today even though I'm very sad too.