• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toasty bits from SDCC '09

169 posts in this topic

My ongoing and (as much as possible) daily SDCC reports, updates, stuff :blahblah:

After last minute packing and a haircut and, well, some other stuff, I finally hit the hay at about midnight. Slept like and was back up at about 3:30AM. My first flight left at 5:20AM and I caught my connecting flight to San Diego at 6:40AM. The flight was delayed for about twenty-minutes due to a faulty fuel gauge. People aboard grumbled about the delay :screwy: I cheered it and was glad someone flying a big metal tube with jets on it, with me inside of it, was paying attention.

It is no secret that I do not like flying. I was relieved when my flight finally landed in San Diego. I was stuck with a very loud, obnoxious family of six behind me and to my right. After being more than patient with getting my chair kicked while I tried to sleep and other antics.

Arriving in San Diego, I caught a cab to the place I was staying. After a quick meet with the host of the bed and breakfast, I gave Paul (silverandbronze) a call to let him know I was in town, as I had arranged to help him with his booth. Paul needed some help going through a few dozen cases of glasses, so I headed to the convention center after catching a ride with the b n' b host.

I got the convention center and after helping Paul out, I decided to walk around the floor a bit. A few shots for you all and I'll have more on the way as I begin to roam the show floor.

I also finally met Dale Robert and fellow boardie Tuppeny Conan

con1.jpg

con2.jpg

con3.jpg

con4.jpg

con5.jpg

And what on earth could be cooler than a Toon Tumbler glass with classic Neal Adams Superman on it?

adams1.jpg

There is one thing cooler...a Toon Tumbler glass with classic Neal Adams Superman on it signed by Neal Adams :applause:

adams2.jpg

Man, that cup looks like a shot glass in your hand. Cool Adams sig!!!

I can't believe how crazy the lines are already....good thing I am literally right across from the convention center.

Brian

About to crash out after having some phenomenal pizza slices down the street form where I'm staying and a very fine Hef :cloud9:

First, Paul (silverandbronze) is an incredibly cool and pretty funny guy. I'm glad to be meeting people from the boards and it looks like I will be meeting more throughout the week.

After arriving at the convention center and helping silverandbronze get all set up, I strolled around the convention center watching the set-up. There were a lot of people hussling in there. Possibly the most annoying thing was the repeated pre-recroded messages from staff broadcast on the PA reminding vendors to be done with set up no later than 2PM. The message with enough frequency to be annoying. It got even more annyoing hearing messages "reminding" vendors to stay out of the aisles and return to their booths. I often kept thinking I would be looking around and see where the announcements were being made only to see ED209..."You have five-seconds to comply."

I met Tuppney Conan and Gator (Rick) today, along with Dale Roberts and Bob Storms. I met Bob in April during the Seattle show. When I went to his booth today I thought he had recognized me, asking me in what I had interpreted as a friendly teasing, "can I help you find something?" I figured out Bob didn't recognize me when I said "no you can't" and he didn't seem too amused. lol I reiterated we had met in Seattle and he remembered...I think. Anyhow...

Preview started at 6PM sharp and the place was flooded with people. Now, I don;t know if this is morepeople than usual or pretty standard - regardless, there were a lot of people there. I returned tohelp silverandbronze with his 'Toon Tumbler booth where a lot of tumblers found new homes. Those are simply cool glasses and remind me of when I was a kid and would go to the local 7-11 for those old Marvel cups. It was pretty much non-stop at the 'Toon Tumbler booth.

The space for the main part of the convention is H-U-G-E. :o This is my first time at this show, only having attended smaller shows and the biggest being the Emerald City Comic Con. Holy mess! I got more than my exercise in today walking around. I scored a Luke Cage Hero for Hire in pretty good shape for $5.00. There were a ton of stellar books to see including multiple AF15s, a Detective Comics 1, several Tecs in the low 30s, and so on.

I also met the guys at Hot Flips and have now sworn off ever buying Mylites from my LCS from here on. The guys are super nice and made a long trip to get to San Diego. apparently their truck overheated twice, once in the middle of Arizona.

I almost forgot to mention that Senormac (aka Mike, aka Thor, aka Flee's plaything in photo) is also here. He mentioned something about some dork named greggy being here :screwy: I have no idea what he's talking about. Anyhow...

The thing I love about shows the most is when there are those ridiculously huge displays. And there were plenty to be had. Not too many costumes as of yet, but I'm sure that'll all change tomorrow. In the meantime, enjoy some more pics from throughout the day and Preview Night...

con6.jpg

con7.jpg

con8.jpg

con9.jpg

One funny thing did happen to me toady. I met a very nice woman named Cori who is working at the Mile High booth. She introduced me to Lou Ferigno today - what a stellar guy! (thumbs u Anyhow, good old Mile High Chuck is manning one table filled with old school Marvel graphic novels. Chuck asks me how I am doing and dives into his sales pitch of having discovered a high grade collection of Marvel graphic novels. The prices? :screwy: The grading...well, let's just say NM means something to me and completely something else to Chuck. lol Though Chuck and I did agree that the Death of captain marvel GN is a classic.