• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toasty bits from SDCC '09

169 posts in this topic

I was hoping to be able to do daily pics and such, but Thursday and Friday were just overwhelming. Between working in silverandbronze's booth and walking the floor... :P

But I am having a great time :applause:

I have a ton of pics and will post them in a bit...hopefull ybefore I crash out. My back is killing me right now.

In short (in case I crash before I put pics or anything up), here is what has taken place:

Thursday

After a very busy Preview Night, Thursday sure did not let up. Paul's 'Toon Tumblers are a huge hit with people at the show and were just selling like crazy. One lady and her husband bought 18 glasses for their kitchen! It has been great working at the 'Toon Tumbler booth and getting to meet so many nice people.

Before the show opened, Neal Adams came by the booth and talked to Paul, who was kind enough to introduce me to Neal. Yes, we are now on a firs name basis, good old Neal and I. I'd heard varying things about Neal being less than receptive to people. The guy is genuinely nice and it was a pleasure meeting him. Did I mention I got a 'Toon Tumbler glass signed by him? :whistle:

I ran around the showroom floor as much as I could and picked up some Iron Man books to fill in my run. I took a cruise through artist alley though I didn't get anything signed this time around. I will try to hit Eric Powell's booth for some books and sigs on Saturday.

After the show, I wnet to dinner with Paul, Mark Zaid (esquirecomics), greggy, and some other folks (please forgive me for not remembering your board names...I had six drinks at dinner). We talked comics and had some very good laughs at dinner, a grat time all around and there is nothing better than being surrounded by sincere people and great food.

We all ate at a place called Morton's, which is apparently a nationally known steak house. Please do not ask Paul (silverandbronze) how his steak was. The food was excellent and the service was top rate.

While everyone was having a good time at the show and at dinner, everyone was wondering and concerned about nik and his family. People were visibly upset about about nik. At dinner, there was a somber toast in honor of nik. (worship)

After dinner, I caught a cab back to where I was staying and tried to get as much sleep as I could.

Friday

Back at the hall by 8AM to help Paul with setting up for the day and then off to look around. I took pics of costumes and displays and on my way to grab lunch at a Ralph's deli I ran into...

wonderwomen.jpg

:luhv:

More pics to follow a bit later. Yes, my friends, the picture taking adventure doesn't end here. But I am so tired that it has to end for just tonight, so I thought I'd leave you with something good.

Senormac (Mike) gave me a call and we met up and looked around at some books. We went to Motor City comics and I met spiderman-on-tilt (John). The humantorch was with Senormac and so the three of us along with Senormac's friend had dinner, where Senormac was kind enough to pick up the tab (thumbs u

After a great dinner and some fun conversation, I was off on my own to walk around and I decided to go to the Star Wars fan film awards. Seth Green showed up and Olivia Munn was there presenting - yes, there was film of her in the Leia slave bikini if you must know.

After that I headed back to where I'm staying and was treated to the cab ride from hell. The cab rides so far (sans this most recent one) have been great. The cabbies take the shortest route and are very friendly. I asked this morning to be picked up in twenty minutes and the cab was early.

However, my ride home spent most of his time driving with one-quarter of the cab in the lane next to us, ran something like 5 or 6 red lights and failed to yield for every yellow light possible. That and the guy was not gentle with the brakes or gas. Holy I was glad to get home in one piece.

More tomorrow where the forum dinner will take place and I will get photos of books and comics booths for you all. I will leave you with one more, okay, two more photos...

...never mind. My server is on the fritz and I keep getting kicked out. :mad:

I need some serious zzz

wonderwomen.jpg

Thank you <3

Yep. Those two are at the Con every year. They actually both work on Hollywood Blvd with the rest of the costumed crusaders taking pics with tourists.

Eye candy like ths is why I'm able to go to the Con for three days. If it was just funny books I'd be bored (and penniless) after a day and a half.

Come to think of it, I'm almost penniless after spending nearly all of my money at the Bunky Brothers booth. There are some hidden gems in their 50% off booth. Some really nice books in there at incredible prices. There are a few that I hope are still there today as I'll probably spend the rest of my $$$ there. No, I am not affiliated with them. They just have some great deals and they're cool people too.

Gotta go, my chaufeur is here!

Back at the hall by 8AM to help Paul with setting up for the day and then off to look around. I took pics of costumes and displays and on my way to grab lunch at a Ralph's deli I ran into...

wonderwomen.jpg

:luhv:

quick question: can I get those two slabbed????:devil:

i'd ask for a resto check first

I have a dark room and a 50 megawatt woods light. and all the glow sticks it would take to do a thorough diagnosis of the potential resto on the spot.

of course, the exam would have to be narrated by my friend, mr. barry white.

i'd ask for a resto check first

I have a dark room and a 50 megawatt woods light. and all the glow sticks it would take to do a thorough diagnosis of the potential resto on the spot.

of course, the exam would have to be narrated by my friend, mr. barry white.

OHHHHHH YEAAAAAHHHH.....lol