• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alternatives to framing?

11 posts in this topic

The thread about how many people have all of their art showing has me thinking...what to do with those pieces that were inexpensive (prints, commissions, sketches). The art is great, but do I want to spend two or three times the cost of the art on a frame? Maybe, maybe not. But there has to be alternatives, right? So what else is there (aside from something like pinning it to the wall...I've never been a fan of tacks.)

framing doesn't cost that much unless you want elaborate stuff

one reality about comic art is that it is best in a spartan black frame with no mat. It looks best that way, you can't make a mistake (presuming you just go woth a black frame) if you frame in this fashion. If you want a mat, well again, the best solution is black. you have b&w art. the only colors you have options for correct matching is black as white mats or frames will make your art look dirty because starthmore fades over time. Black will on the other hand make your art pop out better.

www.hollywoodposterframes.com sells frames in a 4 pack 18x22 for just $90 and shipping is included in the USA

they will cut frames to any size as well, so if you need 15x23, you just order the next size up 18x24 for $115 and they will cut them to your size

but if you go to your local framery, they want you to spend $$$$$ so they don't have an inexpensive option worth a because that goes against their business model.

for $20-30 per frame.. www.hollywoodposterframes.com is the best solution

I use them myself for posters & art and you can upgrade from economy framing etc if you wish.

one note: people like to say "be sure to get uv filtered plexiglass"

all plexiglass is uv!!

you don't need anything extra

non-glare?? I find it dulls the artwork underneath and I do not use it

another thing.. india ink does not fade

if your b&w comic art faces a sunny window, all that happens is the strathmore gets mildly discolored unless it's there for many years which will make the strathmore go a little greyer or creamier. color art of course should never be get direct sunlight, and watercolors should be on walls that never get any real sunlight as they will fade very quickly

Rich

Frame it yourself... A frame big enough for a piece of original art will probably run you about $30 at a good art supply store ( Blick, Pearl, etc.). Make sure it has acid free mats. Buy yourself a mat cutter and learn how to use it. (around $100). Practice on a few cheap pieces of mat first. You can buy mats that fit your frame for around $10 each. Cut the outside mat and mount your artwork on the interior mat with archival acid free mounts (they look like small plastic triangles).

So from this point forward, you're spending maybe $40 per frame for the frame and mat (after spending $100 for the mat cutter). Don't ask a frame shop to cut mats for you... they will probably charge you five times what it would cost for you to do it yourself.