• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Information about the auctions for Nik and his family

81 posts in this topic

All,

I wanted to throw something out there, just in case it might help bring in more money for the family. Do you guys think it might be a good idea to run this more like a C-Link auction, meaning much longer than one week? As much as I hate the long format, with SD just ending, and Chicago starting the following week, I'm guessing many on the boards might be lighter on cash during the times the auctions will run. Throw in the middle of summer vacation season as well. It will give more bidders a chance to bid that might happen to be away from the boards that entire week.

This would also give some people at Chicago to discuss the items, and maybe get a friendly challenge going for a few of the several stellar books being offered.

Just a thought.

All,

I wanted to throw something out there, just in case it might help bring in more money for the family. Do you guys think it might be a good idea to run this more like a C-Link auction, meaning much longer than one week? As much as I hate the long format, with SD just ending, and Chicago starting the following week, I'm guessing many on the boards might be lighter on cash during the times the auctions will run. Throw in the middle of summer vacation season as well. It will give more bidders a chance to bid that might happen to be away from the boards that entire week.

This would also give some people at Chicago to discuss the items, and maybe get a friendly challenge going for a few of the several stellar books being offered.

Just a thought.

The logistics of this are fairly complicated. Of course we want everyone that can bid to be able to bid. However, there will always be some mitigating factor.

Please remember that monetary donations can be made at anytime, even into the coming month.

Thank you very much for your comment as it had the family's best interest at heart.

Not sure how we can do this other than ask, but perhaps we can have a board moratorium on all other selling on the day of the auctions for Nik.
This is a great idea. I was wondering/hoping their wern't going to be many other sales threads during Nik's auctions.

The auctions will run until the following Sunday and Monday, Brian.

Perhaps on the first day, Tuesday, we still have a day to shut it all down while they get started.

Frankly, I'm willing to suspend any selling I'd consider doing during the entire period of the auctions, but I'm not saying I want to ask everyone to do that.

I think it has already slowed. Those that really know of the situation have refrained from making new sales threads and those able to buy are waiting to spend their cash in Niks VCC Charity auction.

It is all we can hope for given the format.

I wanted to give thanks again to all those trying to get this thing off the ground because it is becoming a beast, in a good way.

I love the suggestion of no selling in the marketplace, but I don't know how we can do that. I would suggest a post IN the marketplace (if Arch doesn't object this time) pointing people to the auctions, and perhaps someone can keep bumping it

I still have more to list, I'm just about going to give up trying to keep them aphabetical, there are too many...

If anyone else wants to donate, I'll gladly accept items tomorrow, I only ask that you please upload your own pictures, if you don't know how, please ask a friend.

I need the title of the books, some people are kindly donating, but just with a picture ...starting bids if you want one, if you don't tell me, I'm starting them at $1.00..and, that shipping and insurance if applicable is covered.

Sorry to be so picky, but if I want to get them finished, any later offers, I'd need to do quickly.

There are about 75 listings right now, maybe more, I stopped counting when I passed 60.

At the risk of spamming, I'm going to post this here, too...Everyone is doing a fantastic job, thanks to all of you...I have just about 100 items, I'm posting them in word right now, and will update the test thread later.

Just a heads up. Auctions will start tomorrow (Tues) at 7pm EST, about 50 tomorrow and the rest start Wednesday.

They will end Sunday the 2nd and Monday the 3rd, respectively starting at 9pm. PM bids will be allowed but only until 7pm EST time, there will be too many auctions to do proxy bids, so if you want to bid by PM, the bid you send will be posted. Because of the number of auctions, we will have staggered times for the endings. The times will be posted in the title, but a bid will extend the end time period by 5 minutes. It's up to the volunteer to determine when the bidding is over.

Each auction will have a number, so that people can follow them by number if they need to.

I have a number of volunteers helping with the auctions, each person volunteering, will be assigned a block of auctions, pm bids go to that person, their names will be in the thread. To make it easier for the volunteers, I will be posting the auctions during the day, but we ask for bidding to start at 7 or later so that the volunteers can easily add the information they need to the threads before the threads are bumped.

Each item, or set of items (sets are determined by the person donating) will be in an individual thread, so I expect a lot of bumping.

Credit Cards, Checks and Paypal are all accepted. When using Paypal, please try and use the personal tab. You can use a credit card and pay the fees yourself when using the personal tab, or you can use your bank account, if you have one linked.

While shipping is included, insurance may not be included and a few people have shipping only to the US and Canada, so just please take that into consideration before you bid.

Thanks again to EVERYONE, you've been terrific.

:bump:

Sharon...can you update us with info today...THX!

I'm adding a few more books that will go into tomorrow's auctions. Thank you for the last minute donations, I'll add the books to the test thread now.

I think any books donated after as of now, will go into a later auction, we have about 120, right now (worship) some were donated in the middle of the night.

I will post links in the market place when the auctions start, I hope people will bump them.

This is a group effort, all the volunteers are wonderful and a special thanks to Sckao and Nocutename for all their efforts, but this is a BOARD effort, please show your support for all these wonderful donations by bidding...and telling your friends to bid.

I posted something in the discussion thread and the announcement thread, asking people to please be respectful. I'm sure most people will be, this is really a community effort, but there are a few people who just post to sell, so they might not be aware.

I wouldn't think it would be terribly wrong if one person pm'd them a reminder.