• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you could pick three early 60s marvel covers....

Pick three early 60s marvel covers  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Pick three early 60s marvel covers

40 posts in this topic

money aside - if you could have three covers to any early 1960s marvel comic books, what would they be? I am not going to provide the major keys as options because really who wouldn't just choose AF15 or FF1? I will include some of the minor keys though. Trying to keep it a level playing field.

-------

My now standard disclaimer - I'm sure I'm missing a lot of good candidates but I've just done 25 off the top of my head.... write in votes and/or comments are welcome. I am just whipping this up in five minutes and without reference material so sue me if I forget a good one!

------

remember this is a money aside kind of deal... you get the piece free but you can't resell it... that sort of thing

its amazing and a tribute to kirby really, how many classic covers were pumped out in this short period from one publisher. I had an easier time coming up with 25 early sixties marvels than 25 for the entire decade of the 1970s, from all publishers. (not to slight 70s books, just to point out how many great early sa marvel covers there are, even with the obvious keys taken right out of the equation). Maybe I'm just a sucker for kirby. Its really hard to pick just three.

i picked TOS 49 over JIM 89, since i don't think the background would have been that impressive. but not on the list is ASM 28 and STT 107. :cloud9:

ST 107 is a strong cover, I agree. ASM 28? Blech. Not so much :baiting:

I guess I could have included Daredevil 7, that's still 1964 I think

i picked TOS 49 over JIM 89, since i don't think the background would have been that impressive. but not on the list is ASM 28 and STT 107. :cloud9:

1. ASM #28

2. FF #25 (and I am not a fan of the FF nor Kirby, but this one's too powerful to ignore & I like the purple cover)

3. ASM 20

Don't think I can vote unless the cover to Silver Surfer #4 is on there.

Scott

I thought exactly the same thing. I even checked the list three times as I couldn't believe it wasn't there!

My votes would go to...

Silver Surfer #4

ASM #28

FF #48

1. ASM #28

2. FF #25 (and I am not a fan of the FF nor Kirby, but this one's too powerful to ignore & I like the purple cover)

3. ASM 20

Y'know, thinking back on my response, I can't believe I forgot how awesome ASM Annual #2 is. Must be getting old :preach:

Don't think I can vote unless the cover to Silver Surfer #4 is on there.

Scott

I thought exactly the same thing. I even checked the list three times as I couldn't believe it wasn't there!

Come on guys its not that hard :) Reading is fundamental. Early 60s. That book is what, 1968, maybe early 69? so it doesn't qualify. Next poll will be late 60s.

I'm using Dec 64 as a cutoff for 'early sixties.' Hopefully I haven't included any 1965's on the list by accident.

FF40, FF48, FF42(?)[reed vs thing cover], 82(?), ASM 40, 50, 62(?) any issue of silver surfer, avengers 25 - none of these qualify.

1. ASM #28

3. ASM 20

Y'know, thinking back on my response, I can't believe I forgot how awesome ASM Annual #2 is. Must be getting old :preach:

Good call, I forgot all about the annuals!

EARLY sixties scott :) The SS4 cover will be available in a TBD LATE sixties poll ;)

Ok, fair enough. The other polls had been broken up by decade. Not sure why you broke this one up into early and late 60's, but it's your poll and you're entitled!

Scott