• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,898 posts in this topic

Check out warrelics.eu/forum, these guys are hardcore battlefield archeologists. You would be shocked at what is still laying around, 60, 70, 80 years later. These are mostly European/Eastern European archeologists who search places like Stalingrad, Kursk, the Courland Pocket for relics from the Second World War. More often than not they find lots of unexploded ordinance, rusted weapons laying on the ground and the remains of soldiers.

I'm not pimping their site, it's just something I find interesting.

Huge difference between archaeologists and relic hunters.

That is what they refer to themselves as, "battlefield archaeologists". There are detractors who would say they are grave robbers, relic hunters, and I'm sure some of them are.

I found a batman adventures 12 in a $2 box at an indoor flea market last weekend. Just flipped on the bay for $50

I don't know how or why it happens that people hunt on private property without permission, in areas deemed "conservation" or burial grounds. Like any hobby, there will always be people that do things that are deemed unethical or wrong.

There is a local detectorist club out of my area, and online communities much like these forums, for metal detecting, which really do a great job to promote the correct methods, approaches, endorsing best practices and how to conduct oneself in a responsible and ethical manner. That is what I would recommend to anyone just starting out.

I don't know how or why it happens that people hunt on private property without permission, in areas deemed "conservation" or burial grounds. Like any hobby, there will always be people that do things that are deemed unethical or wrong.

There is a local detectorist club out of my area, and online communities much like these forums, for metal detecting, which really do a great job to promote the correct methods, approaches, endorsing best practices and how to conduct oneself in a responsible and ethical manner. That is what I would recommend to anyone just starting out.

There is a History channel show "digging WW2" - facinating, but very, very sad.

They excavate planes, dive ships etc and try to provide closure for the families.

I believe Canada may be financing it, as the first 2 (of 4) have involved Canadian fighter pilots and bomber crews.

I'm sure you must get it in the US/Canada.

Most searches are in Ireland, infact, one Spitfire was so well preserved, they got the Brownings to work within a few weeks.

They weren't very accurate......which probably explained a lot.

Great and respectful programme.

:foryou:

nice, I doubt most people would even notice the 2nd and 3rd printings listed on the covers.

That's why they were still in the box waiting on me to buy them. lol

:acclaim:

I've never seen that Spider-Man 2099 #1 before. Is that a 2nd printing? All I've seen is the regular red cover.

It's an error without the foil on it.

The same error as the black Venom #1.

I've never seen that Spider-Man 2099 #1 before. Is that a 2nd printing? All I've seen is the regular red cover.

I've seen the Venom, but not this one, very cool :applause:

Nope it's a second printing. Came in 2001 KB Toy Biz spiderman 2099 action figure. Still great find.

Not comic related, but cool none the less, can anyone shed any light on these? they look like American army badges/insignia .

Picture915_zps0818be31.jpg

You already were told about the CIB.

The one to the top-left relates to US Army Tank Corps Branch Insignia/Armor, referencing the WW I armor design.

4th-Tank-Corps-Branch-Insig.png

I'll see if I can find more info on that one.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. This find may prove very fruitful in the long run. The person I bought it from said she had many more 80s toys with boxes such as he-man and batman (Superpowers?) :wishluck:

Ghostbusters had been the second movie I have seen "alone" (without my parents accompanying me). And the first one I actually liked. The first had been Rocky IV… :eyeroll:

That toy box is very nice, I imagine you must have been thrilled to find it… :D

A new insignia for the Armored Forces was authorized by War Department Circular 56, dated 25 Feb 42. This insignia was the side-view of the Mark VIII Tank used in World War I. The insignia was continued in use until the Armor Branch was established in Feb 51. The new insignia was the result of the Army Reorganization Act of 1950 as announced in Army Bulletin No. 9. The Armored Forces and Cavalry were combined into a single branch called Armor. The Armored Forces insignia was no longer used; however, the Cavalry was continued in use as a collar insignia for personnel assigned to Cavalry Units.

tank6.jpg

What's throwing me is the "T" on the Mark VIII design. I'm not finding that one yet.

But like the description notes from the Institute of Heraldry, "Tank Corps" was replaced by "Armor Branch" which is a sister division to the Infantry and Field Artillary branches. This led to a new crest, with the M-26 tank.

ArmorBC.gif