• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,899 posts in this topic

Somewhere between $1 and $1,000,000.00

Don't ask someone else their business, esp. on a public message board. What difference does it make?

I was just curious, not a big deal. Sorry to have offended you, your highness.

I guess you inferred I was being a donkey by your "highness" comment. Fair enough. Ballpark me, how much do you get paid at work? I'm just curious.

Don't ask someone else their business, esp. on a public message board. What difference does it make?

I guess you inferred I was being a donkey by your "highness" comment. Fair enough. Ballpark me, how much do you get paid at work? I'm just curious.

:slapfight:

Thanks !.....You can't believe the stuff I am going through ! - Runs of Adventure Comics, X Men, Superboys.....just great books !

Nice finds...it's strange that someone would sell these on craiglists, he must have known about the keys?

Can you give us a ballpark of what you snagged this at...? :)

Comicartfan....that is one fantastic pickup. Congrats.

spreads - I know it is a natural enough question. When you play the fantasy in your head of picking up a great collection like this from an old guy it makes it all the more sweeter to think you could get it for pennies on the dollar. But questions like that really do fall into the "personal" category and shouldn't be asked in public like this. Plus it brings out all of the cheeseballs here who will tell the buyer he should give the seller full retail because it is the "right thing to do", etc. Who needs that hassle?

got this for $20 at a thrift-sale.

Great condition carts as well.

IMG_20130802_115029_007_zps4c191def.jpg

Nice pickup! Video games are so easy to resell on eBay and super simple to throw into a bubble mailer to ship.

Edited by coutstevo

This is probably too simple a question, but how much do you expect to pay for old comics at a garage sale?

I ask because I'm planning on selling the bulk of my collection at a garage sale in the next few weeks. Aside from a few titles and runs that I'm planning on getting bound into hardcover books, I decided that everything else must go.

The bulk of my collection is pre-Crisis DC stuff. At one time my goal was to collect everything from 1975 through 1986. Of course, I've got random issues before 1975 here and there. There are also a lot of Superman titles from 1986 through 2010. At one time I wanted to have all the Superman titles from my birth year to the present day. I gave up on that.

My other big focus was Disney Ducks. I decided that I want to part with everything except the Uncle Scrooge books that is pre Gladstone. So, there are a lot of Dell/Gold Key Disney books.

Plus, I've got random modern issues here and there. The isn't a whole lot of what you would call 90s drek. Aside from Alan Moore's Supreme, I don't think I have any Image stuff.

Now, I wasn't a high grade kinda guy. Most of the vintage books came from the $1 and $2 boxes at shows. Reader copies, some in better shape, some in worse. It all averages out. There aren't any keys per say.

Am I out of line thinking I can price them pretty much the same at a garage sale? $2 for older books and $1 for newer books. I'm thinking that a 12 for $10 or some such sliding discount scale would also help.

Would I be charging too much/too little with this sort of scheme?

This is probably too simple a question, but how much do you expect to pay for old comics at a garage sale?

I ask because I'm planning on selling the bulk of my collection at a garage sale in the next few weeks. Aside from a few titles and runs that I'm planning on getting bound into hardcover books, I decided that everything else must go.

The bulk of my collection is pre-Crisis DC stuff. At one time my goal was to collect everything from 1975 through 1986. Of course, I've got random issues before 1975 here and there. There are also a lot of Superman titles from 1986 through 2010. At one time I wanted to have all the Superman titles from my birth year to the present day. I gave up on that.

My other big focus was Disney Ducks. I decided that I want to part with everything except the Uncle Scrooge books that is pre Gladstone. So, there are a lot of Dell/Gold Key Disney books.

Plus, I've got random modern issues here and there. The isn't a whole lot of what you would call 90s drek. Aside from Alan Moore's Supreme, I don't think I have any Image stuff.

Now, I wasn't a high grade kinda guy. Most of the vintage books came from the $1 and $2 boxes at shows. Reader copies, some in better shape, some in worse. It all averages out. There aren't any keys per say.

Am I out of line thinking I can price them pretty much the same at a garage sale? $2 for older books and $1 for newer books. I'm thinking that a 12 for $10 or some such sliding discount scale would also help.

It's hard to answer this question, because it all depends on where you live and how you advertise, but I would say by and large you may want to prepare for 2 for $1 or even 25cents a book, and if you have anything with actual value then a garage sale is probably not the best place.

Make and ad on Craigslist or a flyer at your LCS, who knows you may draw some comic fans in.

I think you're pretty close with your line of reasoning. $2.00 each for low grade older books, $1 for the newer stuff and $5-$10 for 12 centers should do fairly well. You'll probably have to adjust and dicker with the buyers as they come but I think you're close.

I would stick to what you paid. Some people will pay it and be happy. Some will put them back and then you can ask what they wanted to pay to see if it's reasonable, and then some people are going to haggle.

Due to all the reality programming I'd imagine you'd get lots of people looking to score an easy flip on ebay. Several years ago I donated a bunch of comics to a humane shelter garage sale and someone came and bought them all. It didn't hurt that someone else offered them cheaply, but the point is if you start low people are going to expect you to go lower. If you start at what you paid you can still go lower if they expect it.

Thanks for the replies. It really helps.

The whole garage sale will be nerdy/geeky stuff. My wife has a large collection of mystery novels that she's going to sell. Aside from the comics there will be sci-fi books, some video games, and other such items.

As far as marketing, I'm planning on the obligatory Craigslist ad as well as notices in some local geeky Facebook groups, notifying a local mystery book club that my wife used to frequent, etc. So, the marketing will be fairly specific to the types of people that are into these sort of things.

I thought about printing up flyers and having them at the local comic convention this weekend, but I don't feel good about having my address out there until just before the sale.

Nice pickup! Video games are so easy to resell on eBay and super simple to throw into a bubble mailer to ship.

Speaking on the subject of flipping games on ebay - do you need t test the game before selling it?

what if it is an older game like Atari 2600 or NES games?

thanks

Recently drove from Alabama to New Mexico via AR, MS, KS and OK with Dad... What a great time! In addition to having a fantastic trip on the road meeting people and seeing of the gorgeous landscape, some comics and stuff were located.

First find from Eastern AL was the GI JOE (reprint = BOOO) and Bloodshot. Second, The Comic Strip in Tuscaloosa provided the WMD6 and the foreign FF. Nice shop with lots of long boxes SA and BA books. Everything in the 2nd pic except the German comic is from an OK antique store in a one light town. Last book was a local flea market find this past wknd.

This is one of the best threads on the boards. Hoping your finds are plentiful and frequent.

Oct0294239PM1_zpsba0fdbed.jpg

Oct0295256PM1_zpsb131c5d1.jpg

Speaking on the subject of flipping games on ebay - do you need t test the game before selling it?

thanks

Mario Kart :cloud9:

thanks

Mario Kart :cloud9:

I've wanted that Conkers game for quite some time now.

Pat

I will tell you the price of any comic I paid, regardless of whether it's for sale or not.

I was judging the merit of the find, I couldn't care less what someone paid. I once paid a record price (at the time) for one of the rarest moderns of all time, even though I know the seller paid $1 for it. The buyer should pay absolutely ZERO attention to what the seller accumulated it for.

I've had a number of syndicated written investment articles, and the taboo of talking about money in society, leads to the widespread ignorance of how money functions in our society.

And last I checked this forum is an internet board devoted to comics. If it was an employer-linked resource, and you were discussing a position in my field, I would tell you want I make. Absolutely.

Thanks for all the comments on the N64 stuff guys, it was a great score because of the conker's.

I plan on keeping them but I may sell someday... I need to beat Conker's first tho :)

@ Eddragon : I would definitely test them before you sell them, to avoid any nasty returns.. Unless you want to put "untested" and maybe make less cash. Generally games *should* work... but you never know.