• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,891 posts in this topic

I see a Magnus 12 in there. Get that.

I went back for the Magnus 12, but it was in 8.0 condition at best, so I left it.

I picked up the Magnus 1, which is maybe a 9.2.

The Silver Surfer 44 was in maybe 6.0 condition, so I left that too.

I'm fairly certain I cleaned them out of all the good stuff.

Wow. For a buck a piece I still would have grabbed those, especially factoring the time you've taken to go back there.

I just randomly walked into a local dollar store yesterday and found these for $1.99 a piece. They range from about 9.4 to 9.8 in condition. Needless to say, I feel that it was a good day!

20130804_070923_zpsd3d2ecc8.jpg

I went back to this dollar store and found a few more books. (Oh, and the two ASM 361s are currently at CGC being graded).

I took pictures of the store. It was like going back in time to a comic shop in 1992.

I was considering all the Valiants, but I'm not too familiar with Valiants or if any of them are valuable.

Anyone see any books there that are worth buying? (I picked up most of the Spider-Man books).

Thanks.

20130807_143452_zps5d87d466.jpg

20130807_143454_zpsf08e8b73.jpg

20130807_143456_zps2f826928.jpg

if there are any copies of SIlver Sable 23 in there they are worth grabbing. The cover has Deadpool on it.

I caught an ad in the local paper for an HGTV garage sale. It mentioned that cameras would be present and everyone would have to sign a release. The ad mentioned some usual household goods and comics.

I showed up right at the starting time on Saturday morning, and sure enough, there is a whole TV production crew set up outside of this nondescript house in the middle of a residential street. Apparently, HGTV (Home and Garden TV channel) come and help homeowners clear out their clutter and make a few bucks with a yard sale.

So, after signing the release, my wife and I are lined up with about 50-70 other buyers, the host gives the signal and we descend on the sale en masse. I was all over the front yard and driveway, no sign of comics. My wife spots the homeowner (he's wearing an apron), and asks him about them. He says, yes, we held them back due to the weather, I'll go get them. Great!

I shadow him up the driveway and as he's going, a woman and her young son stop him and ask about comics. Uhoh! He says, someone else just asked and I was going to get them. The boy looked like Chunk from Goonies by the way.

(the rest of the story later)...

Okay, so: The homeowner comes back from the house with a small wooden basket that looks about 8" deep with some comics in it. I valiantly try to steer him over to a wooden chest that's out of the way of Chunk and his mom so I can look over the goodies. The homeowner says, no, let's put them on the table over here. okaaaay, I say and follow along helplessly.

He puts the basket down on the table, and the host and the cameras start to circle in for the bargaining. I stick my hands in and start riffling through the comics, and two seconds later I can't believe my eyes, because there are two pudgy hands and forearms in the basket with me -- CHUNK! Argh.

In desperation, I grab about half of the pile, and pick them all up to get a better look. Somewhere I vaguely hear Chunk's mom saying it's okay you take half and he'll take half to her son. It takes me ten seconds of flipping to realize that these books are worthless trash from the 70s/early 80s, bad comics in bad condition. The absolute pinnacle of what was there was a Fine copy of Web of Spiderman 1. Double Argh!

At this point, the female hostess is on hand, giving the cameraman some instruction and they are setting up to do a comic-haggling-moment for the show. And all I can think is, how the hell do I get out of this without sounding like a complete jerk by slagging the guys comics and storming off??

So, at the last possible moment, I take the 20 or so books in my hands and toss them back into the basket, right on top of Chunk's pudgy hands and the comics he had spread out under them! And I took two quick backwards steps from the table before they start filming the segment. Enjoy them, Chunk!

I didn't stick around to see how the bartering between Chunk and his mom and the homeowner went, I was just relieved not get stuck in an awkward TV moment.

Better luck next time!

:tonofbricks:

So the moral of the story is that when it comes to comics, Woogie will knock Chunk out to get them, even if there's a television crew filming it.

Suck it, Chunk.

So the moral of the story is that when it comes to comics, Woogie will knock Chunk out to get them, even if there's a television crew filming it.

Suck it, Chunk.

My wife, who knows me so, so well, and was on hand to personally witness the proceedings, wholeheartedly concurs. lol

Okay, so: The homeowner comes back from the house with a small wooden basket that looks about 8" deep with some comics in it. I valiantly try to steer him over to a wooden chest that's out of the way of Chunk and his mom so I can look over the goodies. The homeowner says, no, let's put them on the table over here. okaaaay, I say and follow along helplessly.

He puts the basket down on the table, and the host and the cameras start to circle in for the bargaining. I stick my hands in and start riffling through the comics, and two seconds later I can't believe my eyes, because there are two pudgy hands and forearms in the basket with me -- CHUNK! Argh.

In desperation, I grab about half of the pile, and pick them all up to get a better look. Somewhere I vaguely hear Chunk's mom saying it's okay you take half and he'll take half to her son. It takes me ten seconds of flipping to realize that these books are worthless trash from the 70s/early 80s, bad comics in bad condition. The absolute pinnacle of what was there was a Fine copy of Web of Spiderman 1. Double Argh!

At this point, the female hostess is on hand, giving the cameraman some instruction and they are setting up to do a comic-haggling-moment for the show. And all I can think is, how the hell do I get out of this without sounding like a complete jerk by slagging the guys comics and storming off??

So, at the last possible moment, I take the 20 or so books in my hands and toss them back into the basket, right on top of Chunk's pudgy hands and the comics he had spread out under them! And I took two quick backwards steps from the table before they start filming the segment. Enjoy them, Chunk!

I didn't stick around to see how the bartering between Chunk and his mom and the homeowner went, I was just relieved not get stuck in an awkward TV moment.

Better luck next time!

Cal would've given Chunk a purple nurple for being so grabby.

Better luck next time!

Cal would've given Chunk a purple nurple for being so grabby.

First, he would have told his wife to hold his glasses before he tunes the kids nipple up.

I don't know. Chunk sounds like a brawler. Woogie didn't even say anything about eyeballing the pile Chunk took and flipped through. For all we know, Chunk ended-up with the Tec 27 and Action 1.

HE DID!?!?!

I don't know. Chunk sounds like a brawler. Woogie didn't even say anything about eyeballing the pile Chunk took and flipped through. For all we know, Chunk ended-up with the Tec 27 and Action 1.

HE DID!?!?!

Might be funny now, but when word gets out that a Tec 27 and an Action 1 was found at a garage sale in woogie's backyard, woogie will have nightmares about not kicking down Chunks pile for a peak when Metro starts running their Million dollar comic search ad campaign. Probably on a perpetual ad rotation where he's bound to see it 100 times a day even when the TV is off.

HE DID!?!?!

Might be funny now, but when word gets out that a Tec 27 and an Action 1 was found at a garage sale in woogie's backyard, woogie will have nightmares about not kicking down Chunks pile for a peak when Metro starts running their Million dollar comic search ad campaign. Probably on a perpetual ad rotation where he's bound to see it 100 times a day even when the TV is off.

Hell now I have to watch freakin' HGTV until I see the episode so I can find out what Woogie got beat down over. :frustrated:

HE DID!?!?!

Hell now I have to watch freakin' HGTV until I see the episode so I can find out what Woogie got beat down over. :frustrated:

I'd love to see this show when it finally airs. I hope they have a shot of the kid's hands over his comics as my pile of rejects comes sailing in from off camera!

No regrets over what Chunk had in his hands, I could see they were similar to the junk that I had and the homeowner was touting the Web of 1 as the pile's crowning glory.