• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can someone please explain to me why this is a 20k splash?

33 posts in this topic

lol! So true. In their minds, a Rom page is a grail. If I see their typical INQUIRE, I don't even bother asking anymore. I just do a comparison of similar pages from other dealers websites and multiply by 10 to get their price.

Well at least it's down from the $24.5k asking price this time last year, haha. In all honesty it's prob an 8-10k piece because it's from a cool story arc, LUSH Marcos inks etc., etc. In fact I think some nicer panels from the run have sold in the 4-6k range. But yes only an absolute *spoon* would pay 20k for that page.

Ken

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=19201

comicartcon to say "new art to me is 99.9% of everything after 1970" then u my friend must be a dinosaur with very bad taste...This splash isn't the greatest but it is still JOHN BYRNE with Marcos inks and Ken is right that if this page was on ebay from any other seller it would sell for 8-10K....

I find it amusing when people with no understanding of comic book art prices come and say that this page is $300- $400....Then what does a Franzetta cost $3.45??????

comicartcon to say "new art to me is 99.9% of everything after 1970" then u my friend must be a dinosaur with very bad taste...This splash isn't the greatest but it is still JOHN BYRNE with Marcos inks and Ken is right that if this page was on ebay from any other seller it would sell for 8-10K....

I find it amusing when people with no understanding of comic book art prices come and say that this page is $300- $400....Then what does a Franzetta cost $3.45??????

Who's Franzetta?

Who's Franzetta?

Franks Sister

Well at least it's down from the $24.5k asking price this time last year, haha. In all honesty it's prob an 8-10k piece because it's from a cool story arc, LUSH Marcos inks etc., etc. In fact I think some nicer panels from the run have sold in the 4-6k range. But yes only an absolute *spoon* would pay 20k for that page.

Ken

wow really? even 8 - 10k seems horribly expensive to me for that piece. I love byrne but that to me isn't the best splash he's ever done

Ken

wow really? even 8 - 10k seems horribly expensive to me for that piece. I love byrne but that to me isn't the best splash he's ever done

I agree it's not his best, but given what Byrne splashes have gone for, that's probably right price wise.

His best splashes have sold for between $50-100k for quite some time. By his best I mean the 2 page title splash from X-men 137 and another 2 page splash that might be the best Wolverine he ever drew.

C

LOLOLOLOL

fella.. I've sold more than $3,000,000 in art and I know what good art is and what good art isn't.

I've even sold art to.. *gasp* JOHN BYRNE and I've sold plenty of John Byrne art.

This piece is not good Byrne art, largely because Pablo Marcos has turned it into a Pablo Marcos piece. I'll bet Byrne didn't even do tight pencils which is why it looks like Marcos more than it looks like Byrne.

Of course, I was also fooling around, but I think most modern art S U C K S and I've said so before.

I suggest you didn't get my humor, but at the same time.. I don't think I can take advice from any pinhead who calls one of the most influential artists of the 20th century as "Franzetta"

LOLOL

Franzetta.. too funny.....

I know what good art is and what good art isn't.

Sorry Rich, but art is subjective....One's man's treasure is another man's "WTF ?".....I think there is alot of modern art that is just terrific stuff....Maybe not "historic" or "key", but simply brilliant art.....Just because something is new, doesn't mean it's not valuable. It just doesn't have the benefit of being time tested.

To think any one person knows what's good and what's not is just "krazy" talk ! :screwy:

I know what good art is and what good art isn't.

Sorry Rich, but art is subjective....One's man's treasure is another man's "WTF ?".....I think there is alot of modern art that is just terrific stuff....Maybe not "historic" or "key", but simply brilliant art.....Just because something is new, doesn't mean it's not valuable. It just doesn't have the benefit of being time tested.

To think any one person knows what's good and what's not is just "krazy" talk ! :screwy:

I never said I was the only one who knows.. But I know better than the "Franzetta" fan for sure

yes art is in the eye of the beholder.. and I never said Byrne wasn't a good artist. I sold the 2 page spread from X-Men 142 a few years back for $xx,xxx.00. and I've sold lots of other Byrne art over the years. But by and large, to me, most post 1970 material is . As an art student I wouold have been embarassed to have some of the stuff I've seen that is "hot" published with my name on it. But different strokes for different folks.

My parents thought Jimi Hendrix was music

I think he is one of the greatest musicians of the 20th century and his influence on comtemporary rock is enormous. But I think lots of contemporary rock is garbage.

as the world turns!!!

There's just as much old art as new. This goes all the way back to the beginning of things. Declaring art made after a specified date is just as ignorant as stating all art before that date is good. Just sayin'...

...maybe not "Franzetta" dumb, but still. ;)

-e.

I have no respect for new art.

(note: new art to me is 99.9% of everything after 1970. the other .1% is "Good" new art.. but hey, I'm an old ferqer)

Kirby was the King, Toth, Wood, Foster, Fine and Crandall were masters, and I love, love, love the work of Mac Raboy. That Franzetta guy, he was pretty good. As an art collector, I love some of the "old" artists.

But all good comic art didn't stop at 1970. Off the top of my head, I also enjoy Bolland, Schultz, Romita(s), Adams, Stevens, the other Adams, Quesada, Steranko, Lee, Hitch, Perez, Jones, Gibbons, Dillon and Smith (Paul). Give me five minutes and another dozen modern artists would spring to mind. In the last forty years, we've seen some of the best comic art that's ever been drawn.

And is the Byrne splash worth 20K? Nah. As others have said, it doesn't look like Byrne's work (I think it looks better than most of his work -- not a Byrne-the-artist fan) and it's not at the heart of a great storyline. Nice page, yep, but not a 10-20K page.

There's just as much old art as new. This goes all the way back to the beginning of things. Declaring art made after a specified date is just as ignorant as stating all art before that date is good. Just sayin'...

...maybe not "Franzetta" dumb, but still. ;)

-e.

Yep, that's pretty much MY feelings on "what is good art," too. Personal tastes are way too much involved in such things, despite what some might say otherwise, for anyone to claim "I know what's good, better than others." One thing to remember is that "good art" and "" know no time limit. One being older doesn't make it better, nor does it being newer mean it's junk.